Apple quality control not so good

Discussion in 'News Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Nov 24, 2009.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Read Full Story Here.

It seems some users who recently purchased the new Core i7 iMac have been complaining their computers arrived DOA or with cracked screens.

2. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

oops.
    i'd be pretty p!ssed if my shiny new i7 was doa, to say the least.

could be as simple as just the way they're packaging the things for shipping though, which is an easy fix.
    sux for the peeps who have to wait weeks for replacements though..

3. Kylzer

Kylzer Member

So would

Intel test then apple ? or does apple just ship them out without a test cause intel said they where fine?

4. clanman

clanman New Member

I wouldn't say Intel would be involved at all. they just take Apple's cash for a nice big order of Core CPU's. from what I would assume, it looks like the packaging is the thing causing the issues and its not dealing with courier rough handling very well.

5. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

Whut? How can Intel test a machine that hasn't been shipped to them yet?
    Intel's machines will most likely be transported with safety in mind so they'll be wrapped in about 18 layers of foam or something. While everyone else just gets theirs in a box and no other protection i would've thought anyway.

Plus most of apple's "Photos" Are photoshop mockups. Nearly every single one of their iPod product images have been done in photoshop

6. Kylzer

Kylzer Member

Well since the motherboard and cpu are from intel well i assume they would test them then send them out to apple.

and yeah intel go overboard with the wrapping lol :rofl:

7. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Guys don't you think you are overreacting a bit? I am sure Apple would replace your new computer if it was delivered in such a state and it is not like the majority of the systems arrive in this bad condition.
    I am not a fan of Apple, but relax!

8. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

its the 'several weeks' bit though.
    are you seriously telling me that you'd be happy to sit back and quietly wait several weeks for a replacement just cos they hadn't packed the original properly ??!?
    I'd be spitting mad.
    (and has nothing to do with apple bias or otherwise, its just all round shoddy, regardless who it is)

9. Trusteft

It's a brand new product with huge demand for it. Any delay is natural. Waiting for it because it was DOA makes it worse, but it is hardly Earth shattering or something that never happens in the industry.

10. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

The CPU and Chipset are made by Intel, and the base drivers that drive the Intel components are made by them, but that's as far as Intel has a hand at making these things. Those components are sold to other manufacturers who then use them to make their parts (motherboard, and so fourth).

In this case, my guess is that this is Asus' fault. They have been Apples major manufacturer for their stuff, and most likely they are the ones that put these units together. That'd be the first place I'd look to for answers.

11. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

And, with the very good possibility that the replacement may well arrive in the same condition as the original, since it appears to be a shoddy packaging job that is allowing them to be damaged.

12. I think in order to cut prices as mac product lines have actually dropped in prices Apple has subcontracted subpar companies in China using subpar materials to create the new subpar 2009 line of imacs.

13. iPlayer

iPlayer Filled with noobsauce

As mentioned it's very likely a packaging and handling issue, if you consider the reported cracked screens. Maybe someone decided to save some money in packaging and it all led to this. Their QC/QA teams might have nothing to do with this.

14. Trusteft

I seriously doubt they are so badly made that they crack for no reason. I agree it must be a packaging and handling issue.