Apple to netbooks: Drop dead

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Iria, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Iria

Iria New Member

As someone who's fascinated by the idea of Apple doing some sort of small device -- not necessarily a netbook, but something bigger than an iPod Touch and smaller than a MacBook -- I pay close attention to what Apple says about the whole netbook market.

2. thunderclap

thunderclap New Member

The article title is a bit misleading. At no time has Apple said "drop dead" regarding netbooks. They have said that netbooks are built with cheap parts, and that they are too small for a good laptop experience but never that netbooks need to drop dead.

3. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

im positive, when and if they make one that it will be awesome. I doubt it will be 300 quid mind you, but then again if sony can do one for 900......

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

netbooks..... the biggest gimmick i've ever seen for quite some time..

they are the worst little contraptions.... they are a toy.... they don't do anything remotely useful compared to either product... it's like the disgusting crossbread between a bigger cell phone and a laptop... trying to type on one is murder.

Sorry, am i coming across as quite hateful of the little bastards?

I hope apple doesn't make one... they don't need to put themselves out to this crap imo.

5. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Hey, don't hate them just because you don't like them. Leave the rest of us who like them to like them all the hell we want.
    Stop the hating.

6. Judas

i be hating

7. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Judas...be glad that my wife doesn't read these forums. If she did, she just might track you down and beat you to death with her Aspire One :D:D:D

Seriously though, while you may hate them, there are a lot of people that don't, and sales numbers prove that.

I've used her Aspire One a few times, and while I would not want to use it as a primary system, it's easy enough to type on and even though the screen is only a 9" one, it's not all that hard to read once yu get used to it. You aren't going to play Crysis at full settings with one, but that's not what they were designed for.

What we are hearing from Apple is just 'sour grapes'. They know that they can't compete in that market, and are just making excuses for why they can't.

Well, the only thing "Awesome" about an Apple Netbook would be it's price :D

But, like some parody on the Apple commercials said, there are people that "would buy anything that is shiny and has an Apple logo on it" :D:D:D

8. HardwareHeaven

one thing I love about tech forums are the extreme opinions, even from those older who should know better ;)

one thing that amuses me is that Pc fanatics say apple lovers are very narrowminded. These forums are full of the reverse !

Oh yeah, Judas, relax man ! take the blood pressure meds !

9. OldBuzzard

Now, now Z. I still luv ya, even though you do like Apple :D:D:D

I don't really have any 'hate' for them. Apples have their uses and places. They wouldn't have survived in the marketplace if they didn't.

I just like 'poking the Apple fanbois with a stick' every now and then because they get so excited when you do it. Kind of like saying something negative about the state of Texas, when a Texan is around, here in the states. They just take themselves too danged serious all the time, and it's fun watching them squirm a bit :D:D:D:D

10. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

Doesn't Z do most of the work for DH on apples? seem pretty good to me, but yeah its easy to poke a stick at apple, even though most of the PC fanatics who do it are just jealous cause their 300 bucks laptop sucks ass and they cant afford the 2k aluminum marvel ;)

Hey im sure a few reading this are laughing at you too, cause forums like DH thrive on helping people FIX windows issues. Meanwhile the Apple fanbois are sitting doing something productive rather than working out how to defrag, clean registries and boot from DVDS to fix hosed oses ;) :rofl: :D :w00t: *poke*

Zardon likes this.
  11. thunderclap

thunderclap New Member

My wife would be right behind yours to take her turn!

12. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

I don't think Apple needs a netbook. It is either going to be rather expensive ($800-$1000) range or its going to drop in quality significantly. Which either of this is the wrong choice.

13. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Oh yeah, take a 300 bucks laptop (300, seriously? Is it a netbook?) and compare it with a 2K Apple one and the 300 bucks one sucks compared to it...what a shock!

Now the article is not that bad. It gives the impression to me that the writer believes Apple will actualy show us something sooner or later to compete with netbooks. I would love to see that. Because I am curious how they will try to sell it (if it is very similar to netbooks) or if they will have something really great and new (possible).

A cheap Apple laptop/netbook would make it a very interesting product and if it has the power the netbooks lack, then I don't see how it would fail, unless it was priced way higher than netbooks.

As for the title of the article, garbage, just sensationalist garbage.

14. OldBuzzard

Heh, heh...see...I poke'em and they come swarming out, all bristled up, and ready to 'do battle'. Now, where's my popcorn? :D:D:D

15. HardwareHeaven

sitting on your macbook pro keyboard?

16. OldBuzzard

Well, if it was, it would at least be doing something useful. :D

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  17. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

I actually think Apple owners are more opened minded as in the workplace, etc they will also use Windows based OS's. I hear what you are saying though I try to stay as open and general as I can but hard sometimes lol ;)

On Apple making netbooks or smaller devices cool :)

18. Judas

if anyone wants to throw their wife at me for a fight.... i won't be pulling punches.....

bring it on!

:p

19. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member