Arcade1Up's Ridge Racer Cabinet Is Probably The Closest We'll Ever Get To A New Game

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by Calliers, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

If you are beyond a certain age and appreciate cars and video games, you’ll remember Ridge Racer. It was one of the reasons you bought an original PlayStation back in the day, before Gran Turismo was a thing and a legendary press conference gaffe made the franchise a meme. Ridge Racer has been gone for a decade, as of this year. Now, it’s returning in a way that’s both exciting and maddening all at once.

Arcade1Up, a company that makes small-scale size versions of arcade games, just announced a Ridge Racer-themed cabinet. It comes with five games: Ridge Racer, Ridge Racer 2, Rave Racer, Ace Driver, and Ace Driver: Victory Lap. Normally I don’t pay much attention to these kinds of products because they tend to be underwhelming in ways I’ll get into later, but the critical detail here is that the four games beside the original Ridge Racer have never been ported to home consoles or PC before.

That makes this cabinet the only official, legal way to play them in the comfort of your own home, unless your home happens to be a ’90s arcade. In which case, I’m simultaneously overcome with jealousy and willing to do anything in my power to be your best friend.

This is a huge deal to me, primarily for the inclusion of Rave Racer. Rave was technically the third entry in the series, released in 1995, the same year the PlayStation and the home port of Ridge Racer began shipping outside Japan. It was a stunning game with dazzling city and mountain circuits, an experimental soundtrack fusing jazz and techno and an intro sequence that really ought to have carried an epilepsy warning, owing to the title.

[​IMG]

2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member