are they still maintaing kx driver?? kx mixer is over complicated...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flyingmax, Feb 25, 2012.

1. flyingmax

flyingmax New Member

i have the latest kx driver installed.

I'm trying a line level into software oscillator, I know the lines in KX-DSP illustrates a good understanding, and the coding is heavenly well,,

but...kx mixer is giving you a totally mixed-up interface, which frustrates million users.

for example, line-in spreads in "ins&out", "recording", "ac-97",
    and no one knows the exact meaning about the 3 consoles.

if i want line-in into software only,
    which line-in in which console should i switch on?
    should i disable other 2 console?
    should i disable all other aux-ins and mic-ins in all other consoles?
    is the line-in a digital pre-fader source?
    is it resampled in to 48khz in ac-97 console?
    and why there is only one menu selection in "ac-97" only?
    why kx names the ROUTER as DSP while all other recording gigs say it is a ROUTER? (like a soundcraft Vi?) and then kx gives us another "Router"...which is consisted of some...faders only.

kx is a good work, but they need a good kx-mixer as basics.

After couple hours trying, i'm still far from a normal sine wave...

2. trex_daemon

trex_daemon Member

Kx mixer has all it needs.
    Indeed, it's not simple , but It's not unintuitive either.
    First of all, you need to know the HW, what is the DSP, how is it connected, what inputs and what outputs you have and what are their names.
    After that, all you need to know is how to link the modules between them.
    All this you can find in the KX official page's tutorials.
    Good luck.

3. jaromanda

jaromanda Active Member

million users are frustrated?

I doubt there are a million users using kx

it's clear YOU are the one that is frustrated ... stick to original drivers, you'll be OK

4. janez

janez Active Member

I can be a little confusing, at first.
    But everything becomes a lot more clear once you´ve read this:

kX's Concept (by Lex Nahumury)

It helped me a lot.

5. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

To fully understand kX you have to understand the DSP (most of the sliders in kxmixer control a plugin in the DSP, so you need to know which kxmixer sliders are associated with which plugin, what the plugin does, and how signals are routed in the DSP (which depends on the DSP config)).

It is too much info to answer here, but most of it can be found in the kX Help or tutorials, or the forum, etc.

Sending a signal to software is recording. kX gives the possibility of recording using normal Windows methods (MME/WDM/KS recording) or using ASIO. Which page to use depends on which recording method you want to use and your DSP config (in the default config, the sliders at the bottom of the Ins and Outs page are used mainly for ASIO recording, while the sliders at the bottom of the Recording page are used for Windows recording. (With custom DSP configs, prolog (the plugin that uses the sliders at bottom of Ins and Outs page) may be used for other purposes (e.g. Windows recording with DSP effects added to signal, etc), or entirely different plugins may be used instead (e.g. ProFX plugins)).

Basically yes, but the AC97 page is a little more complicated (it controls aspects of the AC97 codec).
    If you are using the slider(s) on the bottom of the Ins and Out's page, then you should not use (i.e. should mute) the sliders on the bottom of the Recording page, and vice-versa. However, when recording from an AC97 source, you will always need to select which AC97 input to send to the ADC on the AC97 page (in most cases, you should not have to touch the sliders at the bottom of the AC97 page (they are mainly used when Stereo Mix or Mono Mix is selected as the AC97 source).

You should disable anything you are not using (Note: Many of those sliders are only used with a Live! Drive, etc. If you do not have a Live! Drive, then you probably only need to work with the AC97 slider(s)).

There is no Line In slider (there is Line In 2 which is a Live! Drive input), so I assume that you mean the AC97 slider... This slider is in a plugin in the DSP and it attenuates the AC97 signal (as it enters the DSP from the ADC) before it is sent to other plugins or the OS for recording, etc.
    Note: There is also the AC97 Recording Gain slider on the AC97 page, which can add gain to the AC97 signal within the AC97 codec itself (i.e. before it even enters the DSP).

I am not sure what you are asking.... Analog signals (Line In, MIC, etc) are converted to digital within the AC97 codec by the ADC (sampled at 48 kHz).

AC97 has only one ADC, thus you can only select one AC97 recording source.

It is a hardware DSP. Routing/Mixing is only one aspect of what is done in the DSP. (e.g. You can apply effects to a signal, and the DSP is not just routing the signal to an effect, the effect itself (as well as the routing within the DSP) is code running inside of the DSP (i.e. in the hardware of the sound card)).

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  6. Max M.

Max M. h/h member-shmember

Îòâåò: are they still maintaing kx driver?? kx mixer is over complicated...

and finally, RTFM!!!111 ;)

7. flyingmax

flyingmax New Member

after 48 hours trying the config, we did set up a master clock to sync other equipment for a short time, but soon it's messed up by the soundman.

thx to Russ and Janez, your replies indeed helped a lot.
    I believe this driver would be perfect some day if they could offer a more comprehensive layout, or even midi signal controls would be cool.

thx all.