Are you excited about DX10 gaming on Vista?

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Jun 21, 2007.

?

Are you excited about DX10 gaming on Vista?

1. Yeah im all set with my 8800 GFX, bring it on baby!

14 vote(s)
    24.6%
  2. Yes looking forward to it, im currently upgrading

6 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. Undecided, probably nothing good out for a while

12 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. Not really, means more money and i've spent enough

12 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. Not at all, im a console lover, pc hardware is too expensive

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  6. Haven't upgraded yet, waiting on next generation hardware

12 vote(s)
    21.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

2. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Well, i'm still on the fence. I think it could be great, but other than Crysis, nothing has overly impressed me that I think couldn't have been done on DX9. Then again, if Crysis is any indication, then DX10 is going to be huge, we'll just have to see.

Either way, its going to be a while (DX11 maybe) before I can upgrade my system, so I suppose it doesn't matter, lol.

3. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

I'm not interested to be honest. I have tried Vista Premium on my pc (specs above).Although i very much like the appearance of the os, the downside of gaming performs extremely bad compared to xp.

I guess the only way i may gain a much better performance form vista is simply upgrade my motherboard/cpu and memory.. (Nearly a full pc overhaul) but i don't have the cash to do so.May be in another year or so.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  4. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

I don't really see it as something to get excited about. It's a good, progressive upgrade, similar to DX8>DX9.

5. bananaman

bananaman banana muncher

x1900xt is serving me fine at the mo and until some games that really bring it to its knees are out (that i want to play) I will be waiting. Think that will end up waiting until the next gen of cards are out, or at least refreshes!

6. zaim

zaim Well-Known Member

i've got the hardware and vista dual boot.. just waiting for the games.

7. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Not until I get an 8800GTS, than I'll be amped for DX10 games or upgrade patches.

8. Da_Jewish_Fonzy

Da_Jewish_Fonzy Me>You

Nothing has excited me so far as DX10 visuals and XP is still better for gaming according to benchmarks. I don't like how microsft is going about DX10 and Vista this time around, how anyone can actually applaud microsoft is beyond me. The few games that have DX10 features also crush $500 video cards so meh, so far its been dissapointing to say the least.

9. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

I am ready for it, but really don't think its going to make much of a difference.

10. glenmoranjie

glenmoranjie New Member

Bring it on...

11. zaim

zaim Well-Known Member

i want dx11

12. BWX

BWX get out and ride

DX10 seems like nothing more than a scam to force PC gamers to upgrade hardware and be forced to "upgrade" to a new buggy M$ operating system..

Wasn't the whole deal that DX10 games were supposed to perform better?! What happened to that? Seems all new DX10 benches and games CRUSH 800 dollar video cards.. Seems that M$ wants to force hardware and OS "upgrade", but what they are doing is killing the PC gaming industry because the majority of PC gamers aren't that dumb, they know when they are being taken for a fool by big companies that have a monopoly on their hobby.

No I am not exited, I am bummed that M$ is wrecking whatever is left of current PC gaming.

Not really, means more money and i've spent enough

13. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

Then make sure you get lost planet and play it in DX10 mode. its a killer game. loving it.

14. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

Dear god, here we go again, the usual nonsense. Vista is only out so yes there will be problems, can you think back to when XP was released? How long did that take to settle. yeah, thats right around a year and you were probably one of the late windows 98 adopters who thought XP sucked...... its the same old same old. XP was appalling for the first year, and vista while still poor on ATI due to a lack of hardware is running very well with the latest forceware drivers and a good 8800 card.

If you actually used the operating system you would see games like Lost planet running in DX10 on a 8800 card, and how amazing that looks (great game too). im extremely excited. anyone who loves gaming and doesn't have their head up their ass should be. We have a ton of killer titles coming out on DX10 this year and next. crysis, Alan Wake, etc etc.

I addressed most of what you said in other threads, when people like regeneration were ranting like some demented XP fanboys so im not going to go over it again, but the fact you are still using IE6 (which ive seen in a feedback thread), just about sums it up.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  15. BWX

BWX get out and ride

First of all, you are borderline flaming in an open forum, so maybe you need to take your own advice and get your head out of where the sun doesn't shine.

Secondly I do not recall WinXP being introduced with a Direct X version NOT AVAILABLE to people choosing to stay with Win98SE which makes your comparison of win98se-->winXP to winXP-->Vista totally ignorant.

Internet browsers have nothing to do with the conversation.
    Keep flaming me with abusive and insulting posts and I will report every one.

16. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Alright guys, lets bring it down a notch. We're talking a video game platform here, not about your first born. Lets keep it on track, and the tempers down, shall we.

17. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

Apologies BWX. I do tend to sound a bit harsh, however I really do dislike people posting about subjects they are just reading on garbage news sites as if its gospel. If you try Vista, find out it doesn't work, then post back here, tell me what doesn't work, and how much you hate it. Until then don't quote crap you read on news sites out to get hits on the back of "vista sucks" headlines hitting google search mapping.

It just irritates me guys on here with long standing accounts can be so ill educated on so many technological aspects. I can understand if people dislike something, but to generalise on window vista being slower, a waste of time and having no benefits and possibly stopping kids from trying it, well I think it needs addressed. It is time the moderators stepped in and make people explain their posting rather than letting people post ludicrous statements with no founding or basis on fact. I mean there is a guy on here, a long standing member who has something like "windows vista, uses more memory than any other OS before you even start" in his signature. Is this meant to be a cool statement, is minimalist the future? are we all on some holy grail to get everything running inside 256k or maybe everyone should just long for the days of the ZX81 ? Memory right now is the lowest price ive seen it, so in all actuality, it costs far less now to slap in 2gig of ram for vista than it did when we all needed 512 or 1gig for XP. I paid almost 3 times the amount for memory with XP than I have recently. I am just stunned with this attitude, especially on a high ranking tech forum like this, it seems some members don't actually want progress and are quite happy with "less is more". even when its not.

Here are some facts for you. Vista has better memory management, it has better kernal instructions for accessing multiple cores, it has vastly improved security features, and has a whole new Direct X architecture under the hood for gamers. This is not FUD, or pro vista propoganda, and it isnt even rumour or a look into the future.

We have DX10 gaming right now, if you fire up lost planet on Vista and select the DX10 game, it runs perfectly fine on 8800 hardware. In fact it runs better than "fine", it runs exceptionally well. This will NOT run on XP. Lets fast rewind back in time to when Windows XP was launched and we were all running Windows 98. It took a good 12 months after release before windows XP became usuable as a main OS, and a good 6 months after that until we had really good XP drivers. Windows XP didn't offer any groundbreaking Direct X improvements over 98 and it didnt run OS graphical effects outside CPU processing, relieving processing power for other tasks. XP is now much better than 98 ever was and everyone who was bitching about XP being slower and more of a memory hog has been using XP for years. You know what, 3 months after it was released, Vista is now usuable as a main OS, this time next year, XP won't be anywhere near as fast, every developer under the sun is either working on vista, starting to abandon XP or will be soon.

So, my question is, to all the Vista haters, lets start posting some facts, lets back up your claims of it sucking, and lets start getting things into perspective.

Right now I have a working Vista build, dual boot 32bit, 64bit, and I have every game ive tried working, and im playing games on Vista I CANT play on XP. I have drivers for everything I need - raid drivers, sound card, internet, you name it, and finally a great set of Nvidia drivers when I want to game. I can surf with Internet Explorer 7, Opera, and Firefox, use photoshop, dreamweaver, office 2007 - (as well as every other app ive tried), and I also do so with less crashes than I did with XP, I have a nicer, more sophisticated interface without an array of memory hogging crash prone skinning apps and im future proof for the hot upcoming DX titles as well as future Vista improved professional multicore applications. To top it all, my multiple processors handle frequent tasks faster and I have less memory fragmentation and restarts.

As far as im concerned you can all keep XP. it was always just a glorified "multimedia" package for Windows 2000 anyway. This time next year you will all be looking back and saying "wow XP really wasn't as good as I remember......."

18. RE III - Frankie

RE III - Frankie Banned

Absolutely. DX10 is Law.

19. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

holy thread resurrection!

20. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

yeah, this thread is almost 2 years... time to bury the dead

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.