ARK: Survival Evolved--Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

My son convinced me to download this HUMONGOUS game...I think with the intention of playing together among family and friends. Although, I have tinkered with it going solo for a bit.

So far, for me, there's a lot to learn about the mechanics and how to get things working the way the developers, I suppose, intended things to work.

The game is free to download on XBOX Game Pass and is cross-platform playable between XBOX and Windows 10. On Steam, at present, the Explorer's package is just over $90 USD. On Fiber Optic, it took about an hour and half to download the entire package from XBOX. (I'm currently playing [at it] on PC.

And, on PC, playing with a XBOX controller, I'm having a few things to try to work out. One example: for "more information" one is instructed to "right click"...which, so far, I haven't been able to get that done on the controller.

When it came time to end my first session, I could NOT locate anything in the way of an "EXIT" option. In fact, there is none included. A Google search revealed that one can use ALT-F4 to end the game. Once again, this could not be done with the controller.

This is a game that I'll need to withhold any kind of recommendation or opinion as to whether it should be considered by anyone here. I can say, however, it is chock-full of challenges!

2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

32s in for the admin command menu... including exit menu.

Plus HERE for the Gamepedia page that deals with the controls for PC, Xbox, and PS4.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  3. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Hope that helps. It's been a while since I played this game. Wasn't really good at it (I've also since forgotten how to play it.. lol).

Calliers and Dyre Straits like this.
  4. Dyre Straits

My son has a very good grip on the mechanics of the game. He, my d-i-l, and myself have been having a very good time playing together and helping one another establish our own little campsite on the island.

5. clubrope

clubrope Well-Known Member

Cool, I appreciate your tips. It seems to be a cool game as well.

6. center_table

center_table Active Member

Hmm... So this is how you do it? I'm getting mindblowned.

7. Dyre Straits

I have since set up my own little ocean side settlement. So far, I have a hut/shack, a garden, several "pets" to provide fertilizer for my garden...and, potentially, protection, should my location come under attack. I also have a raft with large storage chests to carry supplies to and fro. Playing on the PC with my son and daughter-in-law on their respective XBOXES, is working flawlessly. And, the graphics on PC is so much better than on an XBOX 1 S.

Calliers and Tipstaff like this.
  8. Dyre Straits

Playing on PC, this game makes my GPU fan run at 99-100%. The hum is quite noticeable...which I had been missing since I use headphones to chat.

9. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

So how is this game treating you now? How far have you gotten? :)

10. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

With me I can leave a game for donkey years and then when I come back to it I somehow still magically remember all the buttons to press and how to play it after about 30 seconds lol. :D

11. Dyre Straits

Being that my son, daughter in law, and I are the only ones on the server, we've made very good progress. Those who are playing on active servers where there's competition for resources, and such, I'm sure the game is more challenging.

Our challenge is against the beasts in the wild and not against other players.

I have my own little hut on the beach and have some tamed beasts there to help with gathering resources, fighting against wild intruders, and such. I've got a raft that I can use to travel about as well as a couple of tamed dinosaurs I can actually fly about on various endeavors. And one that I can fly - as well as ride in water while fishing.

All of this has to be built from scratch through crafting resources.

The game is a persistent game in that, even when you're not online in the game, things continue to proceed. When one returns to the game, one has to catch up with what has happened while away.

I have a sign at my place: If you want to view the ocean scene, it'll cost you 50 cents. :)

Mr Cairo and Calliers like this.
  12. Dyre Straits

We (my son, d-i-l, and myself) are still at it in this game. We've moved out settlement to a different island and pretty much started over again...except we have our current level stats. I've created another beach hut and it's now my fish camp.

Calliers likes this.