Artifacts at stock!!!

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Sandok, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Ot

Sandok..please don't ever touch my video card. You are cursed!

2. Sandok

Sandok New Member

I hate you... I know I'm cursed (by my mom who hates my PC). But I just posted about this on the ASUS sight and well, seems the cards fine but the cooler's fan is messed up... Which is highly possible since I can see the fan blades spinning really slow... :p Oh and is there ANY way to be cured? I'm fed up you know :bleh:

3. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Sorry, man, but miracles cost $$.

4. Sandok

Sandok New Member

... Worst advice ever! :lol: Bah, I'll go pray to Darth Vader instead *goes and mumbles sith prayers*

5. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Update:

Okay, I stopped at a shop to see if they had the AC cooler and they did... But revision 1 and if you go on the site for AC, you'll see that revision 2 fixes alot of bugs so I didn't buy anything :(

6. jasonbourne

jasonbourne New Member

shite man! i really feel sorry for you.i know that u hate HIS but im bery happy with my HIS radeon x800 iceq turbo 2 .the cooler is one of the best .like necrosis said u`re probably cursed.

7. Sandok

Sandok New Member

... I really hate my life. That cooler I want costs 13 quid (same as HIS cooler but a better revision :D ) To get is shipped here it's another 25 quid... God I hate my life! :(

8. Tipstaff

The problem with the first version was the ram sinks on the copper side. AC soldiered pieces of copper plates for the 4 ram sinks. Problem was that sometimes the ram sinks were too thin, and never made contact with the ram. No amount of thermal paste can fix something like that. Plus, because the copper side was being cooled, so was the ram on that side. This caused uneven cooling of the ram, and was causing problems with data errors between a nicely cooled chip and a very hot one (if it was clocked higher than stock). With rev.2 they've used thermal pads that are thick enough to touch the ram, flexible enough not to crush them either, but good enough to keep the ram at the same relative temp as on the ones on the other side of the card.

BTW, something of interest. Maybe they can help?

9. Drakon

Drakon New Member

You have an answer to everything, don't you, Tipstaff? LOL :p ;)

10. Tipstaff

[​IMG] <===== I don't get out much. :p

11. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

is google your best friend Tipstaff?

12. Tipstaff

What's a "google"? :p

Actually, I had the problem I described about the AC cooler. Had to send the first one back. I got to talking with the one of the tecs at AC, and he was saying that they were getting a lot of the first version ATI/Nvidia Silencers back for RMA.. a lot of them. Funny thing was that they were getting back more ATI ones than Nvidia Silencers. Most had the problem with the ram sinks, but some where perfectly fine, and they chalked it up to the GPU shims that ATI cards use as being too thick.

I'll have to DogPile it to find out more. :p

13. CDsDontBurn

never knew of DogPile. what about www.yagoohoogle.com? (i think that's what it's called at least). It combines the power of both Google and Yahoo, you make your search and then it splits the window into two windows allowing you to make two seperate searches at the same time.

14. Tipstaff

I had totally forgotten about that one. I tired it, but I was getting wierd results, so I dumped it. Nilsen changed it, btw, to Twingine (thanks to a few threatening letters). Gahooyoogle is still around. Speaking of which, if you follow THIS link you can add Twingine to Firefoxs quick search bar. Don't know if the kinks have been worked out.

15. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Okay so in the end people, I'm doing an advance RMA with asus... And I guess I'll still buy an ATI SIlencer rev.2 ;)

16. CDsDontBurn

good show :)

17. Sandok

Sandok New Member

I know :D Now I just gotta figure out how I send the damn card over. And damn it, I want a replacement, not a repair!

18. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Okay, I have another annoying question for you folks out there on DH. Well today is a shitty day outside. Raining, foggy and damn cold. Very cold. So my room is at 22.5 instead of the usual 26-30. And well, I underclocked my card to XT speeds and no problems for 15 minutes (which according to ATI Tool faq is the minimum time you should test for).

So at 500/500, no problems. Then I did 520/500. No problems. Then 500/560. No problems. When I get back home after work, I'll try again. The temps are the still very high though (80 GPU/60 Around chip) so it ain't Ice Cool but I didn't get artifacts. Usually it goes 83+/62+. Can a few degrees really make such a difference? As soon as I can, I'll try 520/560. Okay so in the end, my question is the following (after all the blabla):

What are the chances the card if faulty and what are the chances the cooler is faulty? What should I do? In a week, I get my ATI Silencer rev.2. Is that going to be enough or do I really need to RMA the card... That is the question I ask you fellow forumers.

19. nitrousoxide52

nitrousoxide52 Driverheaven.com err .net

Hmmm.... you did show us a document that showed that the fan on that card sucks, right? So I would imagine that the new fan should help quite a bit. If it doesn't, what can you do? RMA it, stick the fan on the next card you, you're just having some horrible luck I think.:(

20. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Ya the doc showed it was worse than the stock ATI cooler. The RAM is higher quality also than the ATI Board (1.6TNS Samsung GDDR3) so I guess it makes more heat. It's quite dumb that ASUS didn't provide good cooling but actually made it worse. Bah, I guess I'll try on the new cooler, otherwise, RMA :(

I fuckin hate my luck you know that?