ASIO4ALL with kX 24/96

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ursamtl, Feb 26, 2007.

1. ursamtl

ursamtl Montrealer

Hi,

I've got kX up and running well on my PC and successfully recording and playing back at 24/96. However, when I try to use ASIO4ALL for multichannel 24/96 ASIO, I get a constant choppy, stuttering sound that makes it completely unusable. I've tried all combinations of ASIO4ALL settings possible but with no improvement. Anyone else run into this? Anyone know how to get it running properly?

My system is an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum in a PC with an Athlon x2 3800, Asus A8N motherboard with 1GB RAM and Geforce 6600 GT video.

Thanks,
    Steve.

2. JGSF

JGSF New Member

Could you post a pic of your asio4all configuration under the software you're using (with the device I/O expanded in the menu on the left)?

edit: I just saw you have an asus a8n. That's the nforce4 chipset, right? The nforce4 chipset is terrible for audio apps... without knowing, I would say that's the problem.

3. ursamtl

ursamtl Montrealer

Ì`m at work so I can't post right now but if you take your pic from my other 24/96 thread and remove all but the kx 10k2 branch, you basically have my setup.

http://johnnysjunk.no.sapo.pt/instruct/asio4all_sonar_le.JPG

Yeah, I have nforce 3 chipset. I've never read about it being a problem with audio before. That certainly sucks!

What puzzles me, however, is that ASIO4ALL worked fine in 24/96 with the Creative drivers. I tried that once again Saturday morning. I uninstalled kx, ran driver cleaner, installed the latest Creative driver and tried ASIO4ALL. It worked flawlessly. As soon as I got rid of the CL driver and re-installed kx, the same problem re-emerged. I then stripped all audio drivers, A4all, etc., and did a fresh install of kX followed by A4all. Same problem.

It`s not the end of the world. kx's own 16-bit ASIO works fine, but I hear a noticeable quality improvement with 24/96 so I'd like to get it working until Eugene gets 24/96 working in kX.

4. thomasabarnes

thomasabarnes Long Time ***** Friend

Hi you two:

Here's my results with ASIO4all and kX:

If I leave the DSP clear, I can get an input signal at 24/48 and 24/44.1, but my voice sounds like Zeus, it's real deep). At 24/96 I get no input signal (and I don't know why).

If I have a DSP setup loaded, I still cant get a signal using 24/96, but I can get a signal using 24/48 and 24/44.1, and my voice sounds right. However, my PC and SONAR freezes up on me, when I record the 2nd or third audio tracks (I get a beep sound then it freezes). I don't know what's wrong, but I sure wish Eugene can implement 24/96 ASIO recording support, cause the audio sounds so much better at 24/48, so surely it must sound better at 24/96.

I can record in 24/96 with kX WDM and it all sounds fine. It's just that I have to use software input monitoring and the latency really sucks. That screws up my creative mode (or the creative flow).

5. JGSF

JGSF New Member

I really can't think of anything else...
    Hum, is your card that one with an external bay (not internal like the livedrive)? A model-specific issue maybe?

6. ursamtl

ursamtl Montrealer

No mine is the Platinum with the internal drive. The Platinum Pro is the one with the external drive. I think it's probably the nforce 4 issue. From what I've read about that since you brought it up, the description is exactly the same. Plus, Creative has supposedly fixed it in one of their driver updates, which explains why I didn't get it Saturday with the Creative driver but I did with kx. It sucks, but I'll live with it. I like kx's simplicity and flexibility too much. Plus, I plan to get an E-Mu 0404 USB in a month or two for recording, and use my ZS card for surround playback so I'll survive until then.