'Assassin's Creed 2' free to Xbox Live Gold members from tomorrow

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by Calliers, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Assassin's Creed 2 will be available as a free download to Xbox Live Gold members from tomorrow (July 16), Microsoft has confirmed.

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Don't miss this guys! :)

3. Calliers

If I had an Xbox I would certainly get this, I'm going to be getting PSN Plus so I'll check to see if the first or second Assassin's Creed is free there so I can save a little cash, believe it or not I've never played Assassin's Creed before. :lol:

4. IvanV

Definitely worth trying! :) The AC games (especially the first part) have their flaws to be sure, but if you get hooked on the story and the settings (and the gameplay), you'll be able to forgive them.

BTW, if AC series becomes a Daily Deal during the current sale (and it almost certainly will), the first two games of the series will most likely go for 2.5€ each. That's a whole lot of game for next to nothing! :) AC:B and AC:R will then also probably be lowered to just 3.5€ each, which are also really good offers (tons of single player, plus you can still find multiplayer matches), but it's the first two parts that are really "the essential AC".

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  5. Calliers

Do you recommend I get AC 1 and 2 on computer or PS3?

6. IvanV

When they were making AC 2, they cut two sequences from the game because they couldn't finish them on time. They were later done in time for the PC release and were made a regular part of the game on the PC, whereas on the consoles they were released as payed for DLCs. I'd say that that's the strongest advantage of PC over consoles here.

Other than that, it's a matter of personal preference. I tried AC with a controller and I like using the mouse to control the camera better; I map a couple of actions to the side buttons of my mouse, the upper one to "free hand" and the lower one to "legs", and the controls feel very natural, but if you don't like using the extra mouse buttons, maybe a controller would be more convenient.

Graphics-wise, I think that while the PC versions look a touch nicer, there isn't too much difference. That especially goes for AC2 which is DX9 (the first AC was DX10), but all of the games from the series have low res shadows and you'll occasionally notice objects and NPCs popping-in and there are no visual settings to affect those things in any of the games.

Calliers likes this.
  7. Calliers

Thanks for the feedback, I think I'll get them on PC on the Steam sale and if I don't like them on PC I'll just buy used copies for my PS3 then. You guys are always talking about how AC has such a rich story especially you Ivan that the AC series has become a must have on my radar now.

8. IvanV

Haha, yeah, I guess I'm the resident AC evangelist. :D Just wait for the Daily Deal, at 2.5€ a piece, it's hard to make a mistake. :)

9. Calliers

Do you know how much it will be in dollars?

10. IvanV

I can't see the dollar prices, but the games usually go down to 75% off.

11. Calliers

Ok, no worries, thanks all the same.