Assassin's Creed Unity General Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by IvanV, Mar 19, 2014.

1. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

As of today, we've moved beyond screenshots as Assassin's Creed Unity has been revealed at E3. I have to versions showing the same gameplay, with or without voiceover (the voiceover points out a few things that you can't see or might miss in the video):

voiceover: no voiceover:

It looks and sounds rather promising. The co-op worries me a bit. It's an awesome idea that potentially opens a world of possibilities, but I doubt that I'll have a friend that's going to get the game and go through it with me.

2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Co-op, for me was something I really enjoyed in the past. But, due to the hours when I do my gaming, it's probably not going to happen again anytime soon.

3. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

I find in most games there's always someone online at any time, at least given the game in question is popular enough.

4. IvanV

More info here and here! My highlights:

Unity's Paris will be bigger than the combined island landmasses of Assassin's Creed IV.
    A quarter of the game's buildings will have playable interiors (and the transition between interiors and the streets should be seamless).
    Also: controlled descent, crouch and cover, optional optionally co-op missions, no competitive multiplayer.

P. S. Can a mod rename the thread to Assassin's Creed Unity General Discussion or something like that, pretty please? :)

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

The problem with Co-Op play for me these days is that everyone is using Voice Chat and my Deafness prevents that. In the early days, it was all text communication during the game. So, I'm very bad at being able to follow any orders or work along with a plan that may be in play. That could change sometime in the near future, though. I'll post more about that in the Off Topics. ;)

6. IvanV

That would be really great, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Portal 2 did non-verbal communication really well. Your character could show your partner where to go, where to put a portal, give a countdown to synchronize your actions etc. It fit into the game world well and kept the need for wither voice or text communication to a minimum (and for that part, text was quite ok, because the game generally wasn't fast paced). But in AC, I think voice is really the way to go and it's a pity that nobody except for the serious teams uses it for the (current AC) game's multiplayer.

7. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

You might wanna pm a mod or admin because I think most of the staff are busy fine tuning this new site look.

IvanV likes this.
  8. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

And as Ivan is a Top HH'er the title is now "Assassin's Creed Unity General Discussion" ;)

IvanV likes this.
  9. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

apart from the credit sequence, the last words of the "ending" were classic

10. IvanV

Map leaked! And don't forget, supposedly, we'll be able to enter 1/4 of the buildings, plus the catacombs!

[​IMG]

Comparison with a historic map:

[​IMG]

BTW, we really need a drooling smiley, like the one we used to have!

Dyre Straits likes this.
  11. IvanV

The official PC system requirements are out and... just wow!
    Source: Official Ubi Blog.

[​IMG]

12. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Wow. Pretty steep requirements. Can't remember the last PC game that limited the minimum requirements to cards 2 years old.

13. IvanV

Two things are very weird:
    • that any publisher would release a game that 90+% of PCs can't run;
    • that PS4 has roughly the equivalent of the Radeon 7850 and the GPU in XboxOne is similar, but weaker, so it makes little sense that on the PC the game would require the 7970 as the minimum.
    My guess would be that the requirements are vastly exaggerated. The CPU requirements also point towards that, because if a Phenom II X4 can do it, then so can an i3, in which case the supposed minimum, a decently clocked i5, will simply fly.

14. IvanV

I am not going to read it, but for everyone interested, the first review is out - click.

15. Vikingod

I read it. Very positive overall. Sounds like Ubisoft has fixed a few of my nags with the prior titles, mostly around movement fluidity and story.

Can't wait to give this game a shot on Tuesday. Works out well that I have the day off.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  16. IvanV

How was your luck with the game, Vikingod?

17. IvanV

A user review of the PS4 version that's worth reading - link.

18. Vikingod

I've had a number of regular crashes and the same issues everyone is having with cinematics. Uplay is obviously a turd (and I'm not on a crusade against DRM, but this thing feel like it was designed in a bubble, completely unaware of how their competitors are doing it right). Haven't lost any significant progress though and I seem to have solved the cenematic issues by turning off my 5.1 surround sound on my computer.

So far, I've really enjoyed the game. It looks amazing and run well maxed out on my rig at 1080. I like the main character better than the last game and Paris is beautiful. Climbing/movement is better, but not as good as shadow of mordor.

19. Vikingod

Also, they have all but eliminated the "present day" stuff (wandering around an office building and such), which is great. I always hated that and felt it was just a boring interruption in prior games.

20. IvanV

Good to hear that you're enjoying yourself. :)

They seem to be trying with Uplay, for instance, it is possible to start playing even with a fraction of the game downloaded, which is cool, but they just can't get it right. Case in point - after closing and restarting Uplay, it wouldn't continue downloading Unity until I told it do verify the game files.

As for the present day, I really loved the present day story in the original game, but practically as of AC II, it either didn't move at all, or it went in the wrong direction.