Assuming a 512MB graphics board costs roughly $150 more than a 256MB board ........

Discussion in 'Polls' started by HardwareHeaven, Mar 2, 2005.

?

Assuming a 512MB graphics board costs roughly $150 more than a 256MB board......

1. I would pay it yes

56 vote(s)
    17.7%
  2. No way, they are expensive enough

261 vote(s)
    82.3%
  1. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Considering how expensive they are already, no way.. Maybe another $50 to $75, but $150 on top of an already insanely expensive product is way too much for the rare instances that the extra 256mb would actually even be beneficial.

2. eggs420

eggs420 my bud > yours

No freaking way. I can see some folks going for it, but too rich for my blood. I'll stick with very playable resolutions and performance, and pay car insurance or something with the extra... ;)

3. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

Did that card have 512mb of ram? runing at insane speeds? a 500mhz gpu? 16 pipelines? etc?
    NO!

No? you have your answer... A beter product = a higher price..... Not only becouse it's better and faster becouse it's newer and more expensive to produce... card parts aren't free....

the extra 256mb of VERY EXPENSIVE MEMORY, extra parts, diffrent design
    they've got to recoup thier money....

I mean you don't see any one crying about top end car prices... It's the same big fancy car with sweete body (card) a big engine ( GPU+MEM) and fully loaded naturally cost more then a generic car with a small engine and no options (features)....

Actally $300 isn't what it once was eather! Not in the lest... Actually I'm ptrrry sure I paid closer to $350 for my 1st radeon 64mb ddr vivo (183/183 & 2 pixel pipes) and that was after the price dropped!!!...

I mean I guess they could make a card much like the 9600XT with 512mb of ram for you guys but I doubt that would pass muster :lol:

You guys are fuuny you want you cake and eat it too! But someone has to pay the baker!
    Stuff isn't free....

4. Ev!L-aLphA

Ev!L-aLphA | n f e c t e D

same i just got my x800xt pe a couple of monthes ago... its really tempting but to expensive at the moment.. my next pc upgrade (in a year or two) will have PCI-E and hopfully a 512 mb card (or even 1gb card :lol:)

5. Danhill

Danhill New Member

Neon, only you would compare a car with a videocard lol.

I think that the price on the video cards is going to rise more.

As I said eariler, now I wouldn't pay 150$ for another 256 Mb, I'm guessing that when it's time for me to change the card in a year or so then the cards that are available by then, they allready have 512 Mb I guess.

6. starfury6

starfury6 Dark Jedi

My 6800U PCI-e cost me £440 (GBP), there's no way in hell I'd pay $150 over the top of that (about £80 with current exchanges but it always works out more).

7. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Depends... If's i'm going to be dishing out 800CHF for a 3D card, I might add the extra 200chf for the ram... Who knows?

8. Son_of_Thunder

Son_of_Thunder New Member

not for a loooong time. my last upgrade will be my HDD, and then i'm letting this sytem coast for a few years.

1500 bucks is a lot to spend on a system, expecially when you only make 6usd/hour

9. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Hehe, yes.... but top end sports cars appreciate in value or hold value.. none depreciate as fast as PC hardware.

That's the sad part about PC hardware. A Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, etc, made 10 or 20 years ago is still very valuable and fun to drive now, a video card from 10 or even 5 years ago-- well, that's in the junk pile even if it is in mint condition.. obsolete. :sigh: At least you can still drive a car, the old top end video cards aren't worth the space they take up in the cardboard box they live in "for gaming".

That's why Top end PC hardware is so difficult for people to spend huge amounts of money on, it loses value faster than just about anything I can think of. 2 years ago I bought my 9700Pro for 300+ dollars.. Now it's practically worthless. not useless yet, but still worth very little actual money).

That's why I am still waiting to upgrade, I am not going to spend 300, 400, 600 bucks on a video card every year, especially when the really truly great games are so painfully few and far between these days.

I understand the people who really want the best at all times, I mean it is fun and if you can sell the "1 year old top end card" for a good price it is worth doing, but it is still an expensive habit.

Then when you consider all the other PC parts you need to upgrade to give the top end bran new video card a proper home... it just makes the whole process 10 x more expensive than just the video card purchase. :sigh:

10. Danhill

Danhill New Member

Well said BWX, I totaly agree, it is a very expensive hobby to have a PC.

11. IamLakota

IamLakota New Member

The current card in my other rig is the 9800XT and hell NO,..but,.....if you are compareing video cards to cars,..well sure if ATI finances them for like O% apr
    for the first six months,and gives a cash back bounsof $300,..you know
    like car dealerships do,..well then sure.:D

12. bug77

bug77 New Member

I already went overboard paying 240USD for my 6600GT. And it handles everythig I throw at it. So no way I'm going to pay 150USD extra for adding 256MB memory. No way. Not gonna happen. (You get the idea.)

13. SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan DriverHeaven Member

A 512 MB video card should not cost more than a top of the line card now. The current cards are already overpriced by $150 to $200 but it does not surprise me that 36.16% of the voters have no clue when it comes to being ripped off.

A sucker is born every minute. :rolleyes:

14. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I'm very sceptical about the whole 512MB thing right now. Remember how long ago they started making FX 5900s and even 5600s with 256MB? And did those cards ever see any benefit from it? Difference between my 9800Pro and a 9800XT in any test is just below 10%. But, does even that small increase come from the extra RAM? I'd rather say it's 378*1.09 being equal 412. Now these are stronger cards, but they are already equipped with 256MB and an outrageous price, so I don't think I'd go for 512 right away even if I had the money. Unless I misunderstood, and they are actually going to stick extra $150 for us on the heatsink?!

15. Ubergrendle

Ubergrendle Semper ubi sub ubi

512mb will be needed...in 18 months

512mb will become the standard one day, but right now only people gaming on insane rigs @ crazy resolutions will notice any benefit. As Zardon pointed out, people playing @ 1600 might be interested...

At 1024x768 (most people's gaming res) the difference between 128 and 256 are negligible for most games, so your $150 can be spent better elsewhere.

Although gaming has been the primary purpose of my home PC lately, it is a multi-purpose PC -- my rule of thumb is the video card should not exceed the price of the motherboard + cpu. It usually leaves me 1 generation behind the cutting edge, but then again I've always managed to stay current with my gaming requirements.

16. Al_Vampyre

Al_Vampyre Well-Known Member

I use a TFT with native resolution of 1280x1024 so I don't see the point...about time I retired my 9700pro though....

17. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Seems like a 6800GT would be your best bet. (if prices for you are a similar scale- as they are over here) X800pro being more than the faster 6800GT...

18. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

well DDR3 is is still pretty new and scarece compaired to say regular DDR...
    Over time as there is more abundance and cometition parts price will fall

The FABs wich allways start with and extremely high fail rate get the bugs worked out to where the is a verry small fail rate... For memory, GPU makers, chips of all kinds
    So prices inherantly fall...

So what it may cost a year from now for a 512mb card can be verry diffrent bit buy then they mabye new memory types etc that will drive the price back up...

It's really really complicated... but the basis is simple.. Make products as cheap as you can while remaning good quailty and make a profit... You can rest assused most of that extra $150 won't be going in thier pockets but to pay for the added expenses envoled wih that card

19. Danhill

Danhill New Member

Good point there Neon. I also think that eventually prices will fall, perhaps next year.

20. studbagel9

studbagel9 Rolling the Hard Six

Neon, your argument is flawed dude, but the major one I'll point out is this: Back in it's day the Radeon 8500 wasn't as expensive as today's newer hardware (I paid 300 for it when it was in it's prime), but it was still top of the line at the time! Look at your high end car analogy. If you were to buy a high end car 30-40 years ago it would be about as relatively expensive as a high end car today. Just because it's newer now doesn't mean it should be more expensive. It should cost the same as the old high end stuff. Seriously, this isn't like, any new mind blowing stuff here, they're adding on memory which gets cheaper all the time, increasing clock speeds and number of pipelines, but whens the last time there's been a huge paradigm shift in the actually mechanics behind making of the cards? There's been nothing radically different about new high end cards that wasn't equally as different with cards that were high end 3 years ago. They've shrunk die sizes etc., sure but those older high end cards also had advances over THEIR predecessors. So why the increase in price if there hasn't been a huge increase in the amount of R&D needed to develop these cards? I don't want to hear anything about inflation because we're still talking about recent past here, not 10+ years. Anyway, I don't understand why these cards need to be this expensive. I can reasonably see paying 450 dollars for a video card, but I can't justify 800 dollars or whatever insane price people are charging. Heck, another reason these cards are so high in price is that the chip makers can't produce enough to satisfy the needs of the market, so we're driving the price up just by wanting them. Anyway, those are my two cents, well, it's been four now...I don't really expect anyone to read this anyway other than maybe Neon who will then proceed to blast at it again with his unique form of typing :).

Addendum: That 150 bucks is sure as heck going into their pockets Neon, they wouldn't supply the card unless they made a happy profit off of it, they may be a company that cares about it's consumers more than the usual company, but at the end of the day, their goal is simple: make money. It's simple economics.