Astronomers may have found hints of life in clouds of Venus

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Calliers, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Astronomers have detected a chemical signature in the atmosphere of Venus that may be associated with life.

While the signature isn't robust enough to definitively declare that there's life on our nearest planetary neighbour, in a new paper published today in the journal Nature Astronomy, the international team says they have ruled out any other known sources that could have produced the chemical compound, phosphine.

"The reason we're so excited about this finding in this paper is that we found phosphine gas, which doesn't belong in the Venus atmosphere," said Canadian co-author Sara Seager, professor of planetary science and physics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).

"We can say that it might be associated with life."

[​IMG]

arb65912 likes this.
  2. center_table

center_table New Member

What a lovely planet. The Earth's sister planet.

arb65912 and Calliers like this.
  3. Calliers

Yup, but the conditions in it's atmosphere aren't really nice to be in. :D

arb65912 likes this.
  4. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

What kind of life the have in mind?

5. Calliers

Well, the atmosphere there is toxic so go figure.

arb65912 likes this.
  6. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

"we found phosphine gas, which doesn't belong in the Venus atmosphere,"

Says who?

7. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Yeah, the argumentation is "We don't know of any chemical processes that would create such a concentration of this compound in the atmosphere of Venus, making alien life the likely answer.", but the same logic could be used to produce the opposite conclusion: "We don't know of any life forms that could survive in the atmosphere of Venus, making some unknown chemical process the likely answer."

8. arb65912

Yes, it is a very hard guess and only guess.

Many waiting for meeting ET (myself included) but so far no luck...:) I do not mean ET on Venus though.

Calliers likes this.
  9. Calliers

Yeah, I really hope that in my life time intelligent life from elsewhere in the universe will make itself known to us, but you know, it may never happen until we are able to travel at least the breadth of our galaxy.

arb65912 likes this.
  10. arb65912

Yes, the distances are just crazy, even if we could travel with the light speed, fat change to get anywhere... unless we find out some wormholes things or time travel that was discussed here some time ago.

Either way , when one starts thinking about Universe, it is just totally mind blowing thing.... time, dimensions, distances, law of physics we know and we do not know yet.... infinity both ways, just crazy and super fascinating to me... :)

Calliers likes this.
  11. Calliers

Yeah. True that.

I used to watch every single show I could about extra terrestrials lol, to the point I couldn't sleep at night eventually, then I just stopped with it lol. Now I don't do it anymore, I just hope that if aliens visit us they are peaceful. :)

arb65912 likes this.
  12. arb65912

I hope so too but I somehow remember the comment's of Stephen Hawkins about aliens that they might be hostile.... that sure would not be nice.

I also love to watch anything on that subject, not much to do but wait....:D

People see so many UFO's, mark my words, they are UFO so they do not know what they are looking at, does not mean they are aliens but realistically if you filter all illusions, weather balloons, military secret vehicles, atmospheric phenomena and so on... there is a bunch of case that can not be explained, right?

I tell you a good one, I saw the three lights circling around in a repeatable pattern, I was hocked, I said, man that is it!!!!
    Next day I drove by the store Forman Mills and aw it... three reflectors moving and pointing in the sky.
    The weather conditions were so you could not see the beams but three lit circles...... I was so disappointed.....:)

Calliers likes this.
  13. Calliers

Sorry to hear that!

LOL! My favourite one that the military uses to dismiss sightings is "swamp gas"! :D

arb65912 likes this.
  14. arb65912

"Swamp gas" I heard of it I guess.... what do you really think about that? UFO I mean.
    Sorry for derailing the thread AGAIN!!!!! o_O

Calliers likes this.
  15. Calliers

You haven't derailed the thread, this thread is about "alien life" anyways! :D

Well I think that UFOs exist, but since they are much more advanced than us they can remain hidden. Why they have chosen to remain hidden I don't know.

For example, when an ant walks over your shoe it doesn't realize it has just walked over the foot of the most intelligent creature on earth, it is too "dumb" to understand this, so just like that, I think we can not really fathom aliens and their technology.

arb65912 likes this.
  16. arb65912

I was so much into answering you that I thought I did derailed the thread...my bad.:oops:

I love the analogy with the ant and shoe.... you are right. I do not think that plankton in the ocean is aware of us talking here.... as well as we might not be aware of what you just described.

That just brought back memories and a nice explanation of 2 versus 3 dimensions I hear 100 years ago....:D

There is a bug sitting on the ball and he can only see and walk in 2 dimensions left, right, front and back.
    He start walking and after a while he says "holy shit, this is amazing, I am at the same point I started walking from, what is THAT possible?"
    That was imo great explanation why it is so hard to even image higher dimensions, even time as a forth one is not easy and what about more???.... fascinating!

Calliers likes this.
  17. Calliers

Exactly. You hit the nail on the head with that one. Extraterrestrials could easily be of way higher dimensions than us, and who knows how many dimensions there are that transcend our own? So it could be that we can only "see" them when they want us to, there even could be two worlds sharing the same space, it basically is a mind blowing kind of topic isn't it? :D

arb65912 likes this.
  18. arb65912

Yes, it is for sure.. I see you thinking in that area very much like me. :D

Let's hope they want to show them selves and do not wait too long... I am old....;)

Calliers likes this.
  19. Calliers

Yup, I agree. I am already 34 as I said in the other post to you in the RTX thread. I personally do not think it will be in my lifetime, but who knows? :D

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    arb65912 likes this.
  20. arb65912

We can still have hope....:D

Calliers likes this.