Asus A8R-MVP Discussion

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by HardwareHeaven, Mar 23, 2006.

1. dnihilist

dnihilist New Member

FWIW, I've had this board since last December (on the strength of AT's bogus review), installed XPSP2 right from the beginning WITHOUT the ULi drivers ie. under PATA emulation, and it's not been that bad. The only flash was from the original factory bios to 0309 and that's where it stayed.

Observations/settings

No audio stuttering
    Running 24/7
    No networking issues (D-Link 4300 on 8/2 DSL)
    VCore fluctuates +-0.1v (according to MBM)
    Winamp audio craps out on pause resumes
    Random hangs when playing Winamp
    Rock stable in BF2 GRAW, FEAR (I use onboard 5.1 audio)
    no USB issues (I use both onboard AND a PCI USB card)
    I don't have C&Q enabled, but Qfan is enabled (to cool Crucials)
    SB overvoltage enabled

http://service.futuremark.com/orb/projectdetails.jsp?projectType=14&projectId=363658

I just wish I had more Vcore....:sigh:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  2. Nightowl225

Nightowl225 New Member

I'm looking at having to do one of three things now, and that's RMA one of my videocards for the second time, or possibly having to RMA my motherboard or flatout buy a new motherboard. If I have to get a new motherboard, it will probably be an ABIT, not another ASUS.

There is the possibility that it might be my motherboard causing destruction of my X1800's and it don't make me happy.

3. Nightowl225

Nightowl225 New Member

Determined that my X1800 Crossfire card replacement is bad. Not gonna worry about my motherboard anymore.

4. silvermind

silvermind New Member

Weird Issue...

Hey I just recently got this board. After looking at all the problems everyone has had I consider myself lucky...

I do have one thing that is driving me crazy! When I first put together my computer and had everything hooked up correctly, it would turn on but wouldn't post. After some trouble shooting I figured out how to solve the problem.

But here's the bigger issue. Right now I have a single x1600 sapphire card in it. If I plug in the MVP-Switch Card, the entire system won't post. If I take the switch card out it will post...

Any suggestions?

5. csimon

csimon New Member

Does it work without the switch card or just post? Are you sure you're inserting the card and not the cardboard that came with it? LOL ...believe me some people have made this mistake.

6. silvermind

silvermind New Member

Yah, it would post and run fine without the card. It was the actual MVP-Switch card haha. I can't really see how someone could make that mistake. The cardboard one and the real one are quite different.

Either way I took it in and the guy wouldn't believe me for the first 10 minutes when I told him I knew what was wrong... Typical silly tech guy, but I guess he has to check everything over first... I really didn't know it took 20 minutes to grab 2 graphics cards either... They must be heavy... But all kidding aside figures out it was the motherboard (or the actual MVP-Switch card) as I tried several other cards that would post with the MVP-Switch out of it but never when it was plugged in. We didn't have another MVP-Switch to test.

Anyone else ever have a similar problem I couldn't find anyone. Weirdness.

So I decided after all the hellish stories you guys have been telling I figure I would switch it up and get a higher end board.

I'm now the proud owner of a A8R32-MVP Deluxe board. Whether this will have any problems is yet to be seen. But so far... so good. And no evil switch card haha!

7. Nightowl225

Nightowl225 New Member

I wound up getting a new powersupply. The Antec TrueControl 2 550watt Powersupply simply couldn't handle two Radeon X1800's, and was causing other problems in my machine.

I got a Thermaltake Toughpower 700 for a powersupply.

8. jngtt

jngtt New Member

today i narrowed down the random stutters that is being noticed while playing audio or sometimes during gaming, its not random, it does this exactly every 1 hr, 60mins, 3600secs

i even check what is causing the this stutter and it looks like it sucks all the cpu resources to somewhere, which i cannot say because task man is not fast enough to say what did it

but i dont tink it relates to a sata problem, it has to do with the board's bios and clock which is why we are getting small instabilty

9. danparker276

danparker276 New Member

ASUS = Another Screwed Up Schematic
    This worked ok for 1 month. Now it crashes every 5 min. I thought it was the video card at first, so I bought a second video card, but it does the same thing. Well at least I'll have crossfire when I get a new motherboard from a different company.

Oh and their update update tool doesn't work. Not a big deal to go to the site and download the latest one. But why even include that software if it doesn't work.
    Someone else in a review I saw called it "Excrement imprinted on a circuitboard"

I would say, if you're having problems, throw it away and get something else. I'll never buy from ASUS again.

10. Nightowl225

Nightowl225 New Member

Of course the update software won't work if you have a Creative X-Fi card installed. That is a bug between the ASUS update program and the Creative X-Fi drivers.

You aren't running an Antec Powersupply by chance are you. If you are the Antec Powersupply is the main cause of your problem. danparker276, if you expect any help here you must also list your system specs.

I had problems with my ASUS A8R-MVP while I was running an Antec Powersupply, and now that I got rid of the Antec and put a Thermaltake Toughpower 700 in I'm not having any problems with my rig.

11. danparker276

danparker276 New Member

Don't have an Antec power supply. It used to work ok for a month, then after the 30 days it starts crashing. After reading these reviews, I decided to buy another brand of motherboard
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/rating_getprodrev.php/masterid=14927228/id_type=masterid

I have a x1600 and x1300. Crashing started with just 1 card in though. Is it ok to have that combo in crossfire? I'm not looking for great game graphics, just HDTV and some othe video.

FYI, my other info is 2gb kingston 400mhz, 2 sata and 1 ide hd. ath clawhammer 3500

12. LeviathanPT

LeviathanPT New Member

Hi. I'm kind of noob in what comes to hardware and stuff, so I thought you might be able to help me.

I bought 2 days ago a 250GB Maxtor drive. It's the 6V250F0 model. Anyway, it's a SATA disk. So, I guessed the only thing I had to do was connect it to the motherboard, connect it to power and turn on the PC. I guess I was wrong..

Well, then I noticed that the disk had the jumper thingy :)P), and most specifically, the position where it locked the disk to SATA1 which is the one my motherboard supports (A8R-MVP). I changed the jumper to that position, and turned the PC on again. Nothing again.

Since then, I've been searching for all the problemas that could be happening, so I've tried all of the SATA slots in the motherboard, and tried the jumper in all settings, without jumper, only with the maxtor disk connected, and the PC doesn't even recognizes the disk.

So I read this topic, and I read about the ULi drivers. I've installed the ones that came with the motherboard, and it doesn't work anyway.

Do you know if the problem is really from the motherboard, or could it be that the disk is damaged? I'm probably going back to the store tomorrow to exchange it for another one, or take my pc there and let them handle the deal..

thanks

13. Koptor

Koptor New Member

The A8R-MVP definitely supports SATA2, I ran both my Maxtors in that setting.

Does the drive detect in the BIOS? If not, you probably want to RMA the drive, board or both :)

14. Nightowl225

Nightowl225 New Member

I'm getting ready to purchase the ABIT AT8 32X, my A8R-MVP is starting to go screwy on me, with weird video problems I can't blame on my powersupply or my X1800's. I don't trust ASUS enough anymore to want to try the A8R32-MVP.

15. Nightowl225

Nightowl225 New Member

Other things I'm getting with this board are random reboots during gaming for over 4 hours.

16. danparker276

danparker276 New Member

I just replaced my ASUS a8rmvp with a MSI motherboard, and everything works fine now. No crashing.

17. Nightowl225

Nightowl225 New Member

I've got an ABIT AT8 32X coming, and I'm told that is a really decent Crossfire board. This A8R-MVP is now causing Dungeon Siege 2: Broken World to crash with an exception error, it causes Crossfire problems, and video problems. Yet it runs great when running 1 videocard. What's the use of the A8R-MVP for Crossfire if it can't run dual X1800's like ASUS claims it can.

Worse yet, if it doesn't have a 4pin Molex connector plugged in to the EZ Plug on the motherboard, I've seen all sorts of instability problems, including random reboots. After this I'm totally done with ASUS. I had a P4P800 SE that worked perfect, and I should have kept it, my AGP X800 Pro, 1GB of PC3200 Memory, Chaintech AV-710 soundcard, and an Audigy 2 Value card, and got a case and put together a second computer, using it, rather than giving the parts to my brother.

I don't even trust the A8R32-MVP board, and I'll be glad to get rid of this A8R-MVP finally and quite frankly since it went bad on me, and it did work pretty good at first, I've realized it's a low end piece of trash.

18. Kahlos

Kahlos New Member

Hey i got the same thing too! My mobo keeps not booting the first time i start with a high overclock then i boot again lower the clock and then change the clock so its higher again and it works fine! Anyone have any ideal on how to fix this cause its bloody annoying. I have my Opty 165 going at 2.6GHZ and if i forget to change the clock in the bios when i boot it boots at 1.1GHZ!!!! You reckon i should go back the older bios ?

19. Nightowl225

Nightowl225 New Member

I can't even go back to bios 402 or 309, 503 did something to the board that prevents me from reverting back and I've tried flashing an earlier bios back to the board, and no go.

20. csimon

csimon New Member

There is a checkbox in the asusupdate that should allow you to flash back ...I don't remember what it is but I remember using it.