Asus A8R32-MVP Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Stuart_Davidson, Mar 6, 2006.

1. TooNice

TooNice New Member

Poor performance out of Sil 3132

Guys, I have some problems with this board. I was pretty busy lately, so didn't tune my PC much after it was functional. I thought my PC wasn't very snappy, especially when loading things. I kept thinking it was the RAM which run pretty slow on dividers (pretty picky), but I finally found the source of the problem when I moved a large file from my boot drive to my data drive.

Look at the burst speed. I am one to think that a burst speed above 100MB is fine, but at 10MB, it is no surprise that anything loading from the HD took a long time.

My main drive is connected to the Sil 3132 controller. The other drive is connected to the ULi controller and works fine. My main drive also work fine when using the ULi controller. What I'd like to know though is if I have a faulty board, or if every board has this problem with the Sil 3132.

My bios version is 0404, the issue was already there with bios version 0311. The driver I use is 1.0.0.9, that came with the CD, and a look on Asus's site shows it as being the latest.

Cheers.

2. Mikeybob

Mikeybob New Member

Sound issues

Hey all,

I'm getting some probs with this mobo (A8R32-MVP Deluxe). I got it the other day and it's been throwing problems at me left, right and centre.

- After switching the mobo it would fail to boot Windows. Solved this by "Reparing" Windows by reinstalling it over the top and then went to clean install. I guess the Asus drivers are so similar to my old mobo (A8V Deluxe), the OS was kicking itself in the a**.

- Problems picking up SATA drive. Solved by using the Silicon Image controller, but even then Windows didn't pick it up. I used Maxtor's own MaxBlast (Maxtor HDs only) tool which seemed to work.

After all this was finally sorted it's still not working smoothly.

- Laggy/distorted sounds (all sound: CD, MP3, Windows etc.) while using DVD drive. Tried to fix this by using updated Realtek drivers on Asus website. Nothing. Tried turning off all overlcoking gubbins in BIOS... still nothing.

- Laggy/crashing games. New ATI drivers don't help :/

- 5 (or so) second delay from power on to POST screen. I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen but it's worrying.

- System runs slow in places, even on fresh install.

Does anyone else have these problems too? I'm starting to panic if my mobo is damaged. I'm tempted to use the BIOS updates, but I'm not sure exactly what issues the updates address. Asus aren't really very descriptive in the BIOS history.

My specs are:

Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe
    X1900XT
    Athlon 64 3500
    Default BIOS (whatever that is :p)
    DX 9c
    Catalyst 6.4

Thanks for your help guys :)

3. glynor

glynor New Member

Mikeybob, if you aren't running with the latest (version 404) BIOS, you really need to do that. The latest BIOS solves lots of problems with the board. I would update with a bootable DOS floppy, not the Windows ASUS Update app (just since you're having problems in Windows).

As far as the OS install, you always really want a fresh install (from a completely blank hard drive) with a new motherboard, unless the new one uses the exact same chipset as the old one. If you still haven't completely reformatted your system drive and installed Windows from scratch, I would strongly recommend that you do so (it wasn't clear from your posting). Always turn off all overclocking features and run the board "stock" (load optimized defaults in the BIOS) and get it stable in Windows for a few days before you start tweaking and overclocking. That way you'll know that your changes are the cause if it starts screwing up. Slow and steady wins the race.

I have no idea why it wouldn't detect your SATA drive. That sounds fishy. The ULi SATA ports work just fine on my board. You shouldn't need the Maxtor software at all (as far as I know). As far as drivers, I'm using:

- the v220 ULi driver from ULi's web site.
    - the Realtek driver from ASUS's site
    - I have the SiL SATA disabled in the BIOS, so no drivers (I don't need it yet)
    - the Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet driver found here (direct from Marvell version 8.51.5.3)
    - ATI Catalyst 6.4

It's working great, but as I said, I'm using BIOS 404. If you read this thread, and the one over at OCUK, you'll see that there were major problems with the shipping BIOS. Version 404 seems to have solved most (though not quite all) of them.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  4. psupef2k

psupef2k New Member

I also have a problem with this motherboard, or so I think. Several people have spoken of it in this thread. When the CPU is under load, very noticable during the CPU tests of 3dmark05 and 06, there us a noticable high pitched squealing/whining noise that comes from the motherboard. I am running the most recent BIOS, 0404.

I have read that this usually ends up being the capacitors going bad. I am going to take a look at my motherboard this evening when I get home, since I was going to have it out of the case tonight anyway to install an SI-120 & 120mm delta fan on it, to see if any of the capacitors are leaking or bubbling at the top. If so, I will have no other choice to RMA, but I definitely wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem and if it can be solved outside of RMA'ing the board. In the event I do need to RMA, how long does the ASUS RMA process take? Also, will I need to return all settings to default before I RMA so they cover it under warranty? This happened before I started overclocking, so that is not the issue.

My Stats are in my sig below.

5. cuke2u

cuke2u New Member

Hi, I've not heard on any of the newsgroups about the capacitors going bad so I think you are incorrect there. The noise has been an issue and it seems to vary from mainboard to mainboard, mine kinda 'sings' to me when I set it to hibernate. Over on this forum they have more about this issue of noisy boards and mosfet whine http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17535467&page=1&pp=30
    ChrisC

6. glynor

glynor New Member

I would say, based on everything I've read about the "squeal", just RMA it. Nothing short of that seems to fix it, and it's definitely a some-boards-and-not-others issue (mine doesn't squeal at all that I can tell).

As far as the BIOS settings, I doubt that it matters at all (especially for this "known issue") but on general principle, it would probably always be a good idea to set the BIOS to Optimized Defaults before sending it in on RMA.

BTW, is the squeal louder than a couple of fans and an X1900XT? If not, maybe mine does but I can't hear it.

7. psupef2k

psupef2k New Member

Several sites, including anandtech's, reviews even mentioned the hum/whine on their boards, and had to get them replaced to solve the issue. I will do the same and hope ASUS makes this right. I don't see myself gaming comfortably with the thought that a capacitor could blow at any moment in the back of my head.

8. cuke2u

cuke2u New Member

Hi again psupef2k, I thik I was actually agreeing with you, and you are quite within your rights to rma the board for the whining. I was mearly pointing out that there hasn't been any reports of capacitors blowing, not to say that there won't be any of course. But those, such as myself, have been running this mainboard, overclocked, for some time now and either with or without the whining there has been no capacitor failures....
    ChrisC

9. psupef2k

psupef2k New Member

Update:

I think my board is fine, and the squealing/whining seems to be coming from the video card. Many people over at rage3d are having the same noises at the same time (3dmark 05 cpu tests), exactly as I described it.

As for my OC, I am currently at 2.5ghz, but can't get it stable.

I lowered my HT link speed to 800mhz. This helped, but only a bit. Prime95 will now run for 20 minutes, and then halts on core 0 with a rounding error. Besides raising the voltage (1.4 currently in the BIOS, although ASUS probe reads 1.44-1.46) since I am already at the safe voltage for the opteron chips, what else can I do? memtest ran 3 passes on the memory and passed every time, so I don't think that is it.

Should I lower my Vcore and then overvolt it +200mV?
    Should I overvolt my north/south bridge a bit?

Also, what do you think about these temps? I just installed an SI-120 w/ AS5 and Delta 120mm fan yesterday.

IDLE (with side of case removed):
    CPU - 32C
    MB - 34C

IDLE with side of case on:
    CPU - 34C
    MB - 38C-40C

LOAD with case open:
    CPU - 47C
    MB - 40C

LOAD with case closed:
    CPU - 48C
    MB - 42C-43C

Is it normal for this board to idle so high? It definitely wasn't this high at stock speeds, but I didn't expect the OC to raise the MB temps that much. This is why I am hesitant to overvolt the north and/or southbridge.

Any advice? How do I get this thing stable at 2.5? I want to get it to 2.6, hopefully I can pull it off. Any help appreciated. I'm anxious to get some CS:Source and Battlefield 2 going on! :)

I'm thinking I may try and add a fan to the side of my case mounted to the side panel mesh to bring more air into the case. The fan in the front doesn't seem to be bringing enough cool air in to make a difference. Any idea how I could mount a 120mm fan to the side mesh panel?

Last edited: May 4, 2006
  10. Viscid

Viscid New Member

memory issue

Hey guys.

I have the A8R32-MVP DELUXE and am having memory issues.

I cannot put any memory into the B channels (DIMM_B1 or DIMM_B2)

I have two 1 GB sticks of DDR PC3200, and right now have them both in DIMM_A1 and DIMM_A2, but this shouldn't be the correct configuration, and I doubt dual channel is working.

If I put memory into DIMM_B1 or DIMM_B2, the computer does not boot. It turns on but does not POST, no beeps. It does not matter which memory module I use.

I have the latest BIOS (404.) Any suggestions?

11. OCBigmike

OCBigmike New Member

What are your memory timings, speed settings etc? All stock settings? With 2 sticks they should be in A1 and B1 for DDR.

Last edited: May 4, 2006
  12. Viscid

Viscid New Member

I'm pretty sure it's all stock:

Memory Clock: 166 Mhz
    Cas Latency: 3
    RAS/CAS Delay: 4
    Min Active RAS: 7
    Row Precharge: 4
    RAS/RAS Delay: 2
    Row Cycle: 10
    Row Refresh Cycle: 12
    Read Write Delay: 4
    Read Preamble: 6
    Asynch Latency: 7

I know they're supposed to be in A1 and B1, that's my issue: If I put a stick in B1 or B2, the computer does not boot.

13. OCBigmike

OCBigmike New Member

Your original post says that you are using PC 3200 ram which should be DDR 400, are you overclocking your system and is that what why you have the memory clock set to 166 Mhz (PC2700 DDR333)? Have you tried leaving the bios stock and setting it to 200 Mhz? or maybe even letting the system auto-detect the ram? Sorry for all of the questions but its hard to understand what's going on without more details. My best guess is to set everything back to default in the bios, put the ram in A1 and B1, then let it autodetect the ram timings and work up from there. See my sig for how my PC3200 ram is setup.

14. Viscid

Viscid New Member

Everything was set to AUTO. The ram was detected as PC2700 but I think it was detected incorrectly, so now I have set it to LIMIT at 200 Mhz. Aside from this I have not touched a single RAM setting. Everything is AUTO. Still, if I put a stick into a B Channel, it does not boot.

15. OCBigmike

OCBigmike New Member

Okay, a couple of things that I would try to narrow down the problem:
    0. Post the brand and model number/name of your ram, there might be a known problem with that memory and the A8R32 and one of the other people on the forum might be able to point that out.

1. Put the memory you have now into a different computer that supports DDR and see if it works in DDR. If it doesn't work then your problem is the memory, send it back for some new ones.
    --OR--
    2. Borrow some known good PC3200 from another computer or friend. Put the borrowed memory into your A8R32. If it works then your problem is the memory that you bought, send them back for some new ones. If it doesn't work then your problem is the motherboard, send the motherboard back for another one.

I think that covers the bases and yes I know its a pain in the butt, I just can't think of any other way to narrow your problem down.

Lastly, I am not a computer support technician. There is no warranty/guarantee either expressed or implied in my directions above. Just trying to help you out ;)

16. psupef2k

psupef2k New Member

anyone have any thoughts on how I can stablize my 2.5ghz OC further? I know an opteron 170 should be able to get to at least 2.6ghz on air, right?

17. OCBigmike

OCBigmike New Member

What powersupply are you using? I had to change out my brand new FSP AX500 for an Antec Neo HE 550 to get my system to run stable past 2.5 GHz. Running 2.75 GHz now, and is completely stable. Ran Prime 95 on both cores for 8 hours no issues, Memtest for 8 hours no errors, plays Oblivion and BF2 without any crashes...too bad I couldn't say the same for the FSP.

18. psupef2k

psupef2k New Member

Seasonic S12 600W PSU

tested with a multimeter +5V and +12V rails are rock solid. I couldn't test the 3.3v rail because I don't have an aux connector, but I assume it is fine as well. It reads 3.25v solid in pc probe.

19. psupef2k

psupef2k New Member

So I tried giving it 1.55V, and it only helped a bit, but it still isn't lasting longer than 5 minutes. What else is there to try? Am I forced to accept my 2.5ghz @ 1.45v?

Is there anything else I can tweak? Should I lower the HT Link multiplier? Currently HT Link speed is 800mhz...should I Lower it to 600?

20. OCBigmike

OCBigmike New Member

My OC settings + A Guide

This may help out but I'm not sure since I don't have an Opty.

2 things:
    1. Here's a fairly decent OC guide for the Xpress 3200 boards: http://www.cdrinfo.com/fw/Overclocking_Guide_CrossFire_Xpress3200.pdf

2. Below are my OC settings that yield 2.75 GHz and 211.53 MHz on my memory (or 422 DDR). As noted my processor is "slightly" different being a X2 4200+ which starts at 2.2 GHz vs the 2.0 for yours and your being stable at 2.5 GHz is 500 Mhz over which is close to the 550 MHz that mine is OC'ed. Anyhow, maybe some of what you see here will help:

ADVANCED
    _Jumper Free Configuration
    _AI Overclocking__________________Manual
    _CPU Frequency__________________250*
    _PCIE Frequency_________________105

_FID/VID Change__________________Manual
    _Processor Frequency Multiple______X11
    _Processor Voltage_______________1.4V
    _DDR Voltage____________________2.90V
    _VCORE Voltage_________________+100mV
    _Northbridge Overvolt______________Enabled
    ___Core Voltage__________________1.4V
    ___HT Bus Voltage________________1.4V
    ___PCIE Voltage__________________1.4V

_PEG Link Mode__________________Auto
    _PEG Buffer Length________________Auto

_AI Clock SkewA__________________Auto
    _AI Clock SkewB__________________Auto

_CPU Configuration
    _GART Error Reporting_____________Disabled
    _MTR Mapping____________________Continuous
    _Cool N Quiet_____________________Disabled
    _HT Link Speed___________________1 GHz

_Memory Configuration
    _Memory Timing Mode_____________Limit
    ___Memclock Value_______________183
    _MCT Timing Mode________________Manual
    ___CAS (CL)_____________________2.5
    ___TRAS________________________8
    ___TRP_________________________3
    ___TRCD________________________3
    ___TRRD________________________2T
    ___TRC_________________________7T
    ___TRFC________________________16T
    ___TRWT________________________2
    _MCT Extra Timing Mode___________Manual
    ___TREF________________________7.8us
    ___DDR Input Strobe Skew_________Disabled
    ___Burst2Opt____________________Disabled
    _User Configuration Mode__________Manual
    ___Read Preamble________________5.0ns
    ___Asyc Latency_________________7.0ns
    ___CMD-ADDR Timing_____________1T

_Bank Interleaving_________________Auto
    _Burst Length____________________8 Beats
    _Software Memory Hole____________Disabled

_ECC Configuration
    ___DRAM ECC Enable_____________Disabled
    ___L2 Cache BG Scrub_____________Disabled
    ___Data Cache BG Scrub___________Disabled

_Chipset
    ___VGA Priority___________________1st PCIE ->2nd PCIE

_HT Config
    ___HT Link Speed_________________1 GHz
    ___CPU:RD580-NB HT Link Width____16 Bit

___RD580 HT Link Three State_______Disabled
    ___RD580 HT Drive Strength_________Optimal
    ___HT Receiver Comp. Ctrl__________Optimal

___RD580 HT PLL Control___________High Speed

_PCI-E Configuration
    ___PCIE GFX1 Link Width___________X16
    ___PCIE GFX2 Link Width___________X16

___P2P Writes Between GFX Ports___Disabled
    ___10% Extra Current Between GFX__Enabled
    ___10% Extra Current Between GPP__Enabled
    ___10% Extra Current Between SB___Enabled
    ___10% Extra Current Between GFX1_Enabled
    ___10% Extra Current Between GFX2_Disabled

*note I had the FSB set to 252 for a while but got a few crashes in Oblivion even though the system passed 8 hours of Prime 95 and 8 hours of memtest, so I backed off to a nice round 250 (25% OC vs. stock) and have not had any issues for 1 week now. Also note that I had to change out my power supply as I pointed out in an earlier message but yours seems to be powerful enough...

Last edited: May 10, 2006