Asus A8R32-MVP Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Stuart_Davidson, Mar 6, 2006.

1. boecke

boecke New Member

See that's the problem, I don't want to spend $300 on things I may not even need.

When I load a game it gets to the Main Menu and then crashes, It starts to skip after a while and then reboots. I can move the mouse but everything else is unresponsive.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Download and run the memtester86 or similare program for several hours..

or go into the memory timings and set them to the loosest possible settings, even turn down the HTT speeds.

While crossfire doesn't crash my system like that, there could be something specifically wrong with the crossfire portion of the cards. Even the Master card could be a culprit while enabling crossfire.

try this. Go into the bios and find a settings for setting the video boot settings from PCI-EX1~>PCI-EX2 to PCI-EX2~>PCI-EX1 and then shutdown the machine, switch the mastercard and slave around (put the master in the bottom slot and the slave in the top) and power up, enable crossfire and try again.

3. zinman

zinman New Member

Do you have a power source of 650 or more? I have read seen in the past that if you don't have enough juice your system becomes unstable.

4. boecke

boecke New Member

What would the point of that be though?

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

The point of these suggestions is to help determine whether the problem is related to RAM, OR if it's one video card or the other. It's a process of elimination.

6. cuke2u

cuke2u New Member

7. Judas

awesome.. loading it now!

8. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Is that download server on a 56K dial-up account?? It's taken almost THREE MINUTES to download the whole 641KB of that BIOS.

9. cuke2u

cuke2u New Member

Hi, yeah pretty slow, my partner's just running a test on her games right now to see if there is any difference. I ran it for about an hour and half last night, had no problems. This new bios might just be a vista compatiblity fix anyway...
    ChrisC

10. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

All of the Asus servers suck ass for speed, I swear they still use 56K modems :(

11. Judas

hmm... downloaded it under a second.... (said 0 seconds anyways)... i was going to say the servers were upgraded, cause usually i can't get passed 70kb/s down on them....

realtek used to be exceptionally slow to, and i'm pulling at over 800kb/s now...

I've had it loaded now for awhile and so far, i'm getting less vista related issues.... (well so far).... the issues were kinda random.. so only more running and testing can be done atm.

12. cuke2u

cuke2u New Member

Hi Asus state "Fix Cool and Quiet cannot function under Windows Vista", you will still get random freezing under non-raid setups. Not the fix your're looking for I guess.....
    ChrisC

13. DJShamrock

DJShamrock New Member

I have heard that the reason there is no "cool and quiet" drivers on AMD's site is because they are built into Vista already. I read this somewhere, and i am not geeky enough to explain why.

14. Dalton Sleeper

Dalton Sleeper Programmer

I've ordered Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe, I wonder if all SATA ports are locked?

I have also planned runnning crossfire on this mobo, will this work?

AMD Athlon X2 4800+ (s939)
    Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe
    Corsair TwinX2048 4400 PRO (2*1GB)
    2*Radeon HD2900XT 512MB
    OCZ GameXStream 850w

If I forgot anything it's in the sign. This is a temporary solution unil Agenda/Barcelona is available. I hope all the biggest issues with this board are solved by now.

15. annihilator

annihilator New Member

I've been using A8R32-MVP Deluxe + x1900 XT Crossfire for one year. I've had slight problems. One I couldn't fix was the sound problems. When I try to voice-communicate in Counter-strike, the microphone's sound goes-comes-goes-comes so I can't talk anything. :(

16. Hagar

Hagar New Member

Asus A8R32-MVP-DLX is driving me nuts!

So I built this setup using this ASUS A8R32-MVP-DLX motherboard and have had stutter problems and what feels like like under whelming power even with my 2 gigs of ram and Athlon dual 4000+.:duh:

I've thought about throwing this out and I found you can read reviews all day long and that’s how I bought this one and they could be wrong. You got to read forums like this.

Trying to salvage my investment, I'm looked at past reviews and wonder what did they do to make it run so quick. I found at this site http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2697&p=6 drivers mentioned for Nvidia AMD 6.70 for AGP,IDE and other bus components. Do I need these?

Also anyone ever read a review of a Falcon Northwest machine and seen boot times of under 51 secs. Are they talking about till the windows logo screen goes away cause my certainly doesn't boot in 51 secs, more like 2 mins 51 secs.

And then there's which socket 939 board to get if I change out?

17. psychlone

psychlone M3A32-MVP GURU

http://www.driverheaven.net/overclocking-modding/104156-a8r32-mvp-deluxe-bios-options-laid-out.html
    This was a sticky here for over a year - did you see it?

If you're having issues with 'underwhelming power' and especially with a slow boot - taking over 51 seconds to load to functionality, you *really* shouldn't blame the motherboad - you should blame Microsoft Windows...it has absolutely *nothing* to do with your motherboard.

Try this: Format and install XP from scratch (even if it's on a different HDD) - and see the difference. If you don't boot up to a fully functional XP in less than a minute, I'll eat my motherboard! ;)

Honestly though, there's nothing about a slow boot that could possibly have anything at all to do with a motherboard...all the information is stored on HDD, and your CPU is what's getting it and deciding what to do with it all...

As for the drivers you mentioned: No, you don't need any extra crap - if you have an nVidia graphics card, you need the newest (sometimes even Beta) *graphics card drivers* from nVidia and that's *ALL* - never install chipset drivers on an ATi motherboard!!! Our motherboards are built around MS' own chipset drivers - there's no need to install any chipset drivers per se, but you can always install newer Realtek 8.1 HD drivers (ALC882) or ULi drivers...those won't hurt anything.

You're jumping the gun with wanting to blame your motherboard for all your problems...I've been running at 3.2GHz on my Opteron 165 and 583MHz on the Corsair PC3200 RAM - since just after this guide was written over a year ago - and I can tell you that I've had absolutely no issues with it at all...
    Doesn't mean that you're not, I'm not trying to invalidate you or anything, but I do believe that your XP install is what's holding your boot time up, and as for 'stutter' and/or 'underwhelming power' - I'd have to say that you've not properly done 'something'...check your overclock settings or format/install XP from scratch - I guarantee there will be a difference in how it 'feels' !!!!

Psychlone

18. cmberry20

cmberry20 New Member

Does anyone know (or have fitted) a waterblock to the chipset of this motherboard?

I been looking into getting one, but I'm very wary of which one to buy because the NB fixing holes are very close to some CAPs (on both sides)

Has anyone fitted a water block to this type of board? If so which one? Need some definate answers & not - 'well this one should fit' - because its that tight there it looks like the caps will get in the way no matter what block I use.

(I tried Google, but cant find any decisive information)

19. SLI

SLI New Member

I used this one on that board: (Swiftech MCW30)

Swiftech

Note I did need to fashion a retention bracket out of a somewhat thin piece of aluminum
    as the stock one did interfere with one of the capacitors. But the block itself fits fine.

20. cmberry20

cmberry20 New Member

Thanks. But in other words - it doesn't fit as it clashes with the caps. :rolleyes:

Apparently, this one & this one are fine, so I'm going with the EK one cos i own an EK g.card block.

Unless anyone knows that it doesn't fit?