Asus MARS Quad SLI - Extreme Gaming

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Aug 26, 2009.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Read The Review Here

Asus have just rewritten the Nvidia rulebook with the release of their 1 grand video card - the Asus MARS. Its basically two 285's on one board with 4GB of high performance ram. Asus sent us TWO of these limited edition boards and we put them in a watercooled system to see just how many frames they can deliver with all the modern gaming titles.

2. clanman

clanman New Member

Absolutely freakin' mental !!!

3. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Absolutely freakin pointless - IMO

All the major developers are developing for consoles now and if were lucky they may release a console port to play on our PCs. How are people gonna utilise all the massive power of this card? You can't play Crysis for the rest of your life

4. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

Thank god this went up- just read another review of this on one of your competitors sites a day ago and the testing was shockingly bad. This is much better.

Also in regards to the last comment, I think people need to look at this card more as a showcase for ASUS's engineering ability rather than something we all just run out and buy. Lets be honest its not a mainstream or even a high end card, its something for rich people to play with and post benchmark figures on forums.

Doesn't make it any less impressive however as a technical showpiece.

5. humonous

humonous New Member

Yeah I think I could have done a better job of the hexus review myself Brutus. outdated drivers, Vista SP1. old game patches. absolutely terrible - but I stopped going there last year.

Nice review stuart - insane performance, but its a little overkill, I cant see anyone needing more than 2x285 GTXs in SLI.

Asus need a little cheer for having the balls to do it though, I love this extreme engineering.

6. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

1000 euros , they must be joking :dead:
    It just for teasing .

7. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

Holly hell in a hand basket that's one heck of a card ;) grate review DH :)

8. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Wow. Getting a couple of these for the Nehalem EP rig Zardon? :p

I do agree that this is as much a PR excercise from Asus as a saleable product, but what a PR excercise. It's impressive how substansial the performance increase is over a GTX295. Has anyone done a 3.5GB GTX295 yet?

9. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Why was Left4Dead chosen over GTAIV? That's a missed opportunity since this is one of the few cards out there with 2gig memory per card. As if this Quad SLI beast wouldn't rape the Source engine :D

I like the MARS the same way I like a Porsche, however, like the review mentions it really makes little sense to go with this over a couple of 285's.

10. LukeK

LukeK New Member

wouldnt GTA4 be a bit of a waste though? once you hit 1600 meg of ram its maxed out. I think it would be limited to the CPU with that game and im not sure the SLI profiles even work with it ?

Interesting article, good talking point but utterly unpractical ! anyone on DH buying one? Veridian3 ?:w00t:

11. sammorris

sammorris New Member

A better test than at the 5 letter site beginning with H, but still missing any comparisons to anything but a single GTX295 - how about comparing MARS Quad SLI vs Quad 295s, or MARS SLI vs two HD4870X2s, or even three/four HD4890s? There are plenty of options to explore, but nobody seems to give a damn, presumably because nobody will actually be buying these effectively infinitely priced cards.

12. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

A little harsh man, we only had a couple of days with the cards, only so much we can test on them. I think what we published gives a good representation of how they perform. We have tested quite a lot of 4870x2 and 295 gtx configs in the past its not that difficult to fill in the blanks going on the 295 GTX in this particular review.

13. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

It looked impressive right until the "Temperatures and Overclocking" page. The performance of the single card is class leading and the scaling efficiency of quad-SLI in some cases, as well as overall level of achieved performance were almost fantastic.

But the thermal performance was a real let-down. It'd imagine that it would be rather disappointing to pay a thousand pounds (or two for a pair) and then find out that the chips were melting (particularly in Quad-SLI) to the sound of a dust-buster, especially after that water-cooled Zotac which easily operated at the same clocks at far more agreeable temperatures and half the price. Yes, it's got 32 instead of 28 ROPs and 512 instead of 448 bits wide memory controller (per chip) making it truly unique, but comparing the single reference 295 and Mars, regardless of the undeniable prowess displayed by engineers of ASUS, I'd say that most of the performance gain comes from the overclock and any manufacturer willing to release a card that runs as noisy and as hot as Mars does could do that.

If Zotac decided to preoverclock their water-cooled card (which, I repeat, comes at half the price), and maybe make one with double the amount of memory (potentially beneficial for 2560*1600 in Quad-SLI, which is where MARS shines with performance, but unfortunately also with the 77C idle and 95C load temperature), in my opinion they'd have a clear winner. MARS on the other hand cannot be denied the speed and uniqueness, but it's also inadequately cooled and too little ahead of a regular equally overclocked 295 to be anything more than a curiosity, even regardless of it's preposterous price.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  14. Alex

Alex Driverheaven Lover

Yeah, glad it wasnt just me who saw that review on Hexus: Absolute mess - DDR3 1333mhz, outdated graphics card drivers, outdated bios, outdated chipset drivers and they tested it on Vista SP1 with outdated game patches! My jaw was sinking further to the floor as I was reading it. Tarrinder needs to give up his day job.

The review on DH is significantly better and I can ascertain the performance with the single 295 GTX. The Mars cards are impressive and class leading but the issue for me would be the noise and the temperatures - I know the PCB on GFX cards are stronger than CPU cores but 95c over extended load is not particularly healthy IMO.

Nice showcase from Asus but the price is silly, I dont think they want to sell them ! I took something from this review however, it tempted me into thinking of getting a 295 GTX at some stage.

15. sterilegiblets

sterilegiblets New Member

I want two, I just don't want to pay for them ! Very nice scaling :w00t:

16. flamingturds

flamingturds New Member

GRID is my favourite game, I almost wet myself when I read the Quad SLI figures. must be smooth as butter.

I really notice the frame rate at 60+ I know some people say they don't.

Awesome cards, noise doesnt bother me, I normally have speakers on loud when im gaming.

Not sure my credit card would handle two, but id seriously consider one.

17. highnightfive

highnightfive New Member

My mate has pre ordered one, I think he is mental - probably wont get one though.

You think all 1000 will sell out? I bet they do, then end up on ebay for 1300 quid!

18. seanmclagerty

seanmclagerty New Member

2 x 285 GTXS in SLI is enough for anyone. right? lol.:lol:

19. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

Asus really showed their capabilities with this card but I also feel it is far to expensive. Would I refuse one if it came my way, well no of course not but my 4870X2 all ready heats my basement so I can just imagine what that card would do. Overall good job with time restrictions in place.

20. DJ BIG T

DJ BIG T DH FaN BoY

very good review z!!! im like wow i wish i had the money for one...