ASUS P5K DELUXE or GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS4

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Rogacz, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Rogacz

Rogacz Porcupine Floyd

I'm building new rig soon, and I don't know which board should I choose.

ASUS P5K DELUXE or GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS4

I'm interested mainly in cooling, stability and accessibility. Also, how the fans are controllable by BIOS. Platform will use Q6600 with Scythe Infinity on it.

2. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

P35-DS4 Rev. 1.0 seemed to have a very good P35 chipset components, however, the Silent-Pipe designed on P35-DS4 (and P35-DQ6) "Rev. 1.0" are too tall and this causes many good third party CPU coolers to won't fit into the boards.

CPU coolers likes CM GeminII, TT Big Typhoon* are good for helping cooling your board and chipset components even more.
    if you want to play with other CPU coolers in the future, then make sure you order the newer than PCB Rev. 1.0 motherboard,

AFAIK, the P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0 is now using a different design of the Silent-Pipe and chipset's heatsink components, it's now more like the older design that uses in P965-DS4/DQ6 boards.

[​IMG]

AFAIU, the Asus is also a good P35 based motherboard, however, the retail price of this board is a much higher than P35-DS4's in some area of the world.

i suggest you use the internet to check for more info on both of the boards than this anyway.

*TT Big Typhoon is a very simple cooler, but still very good, however, you may need to modify the installation, the kit that comes with the cooler is too cheap. so you need some small aluminum washers and solid plastic washers to replace the paper washer that comes with it.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  3. Rogacz

Rogacz Porcupine Floyd

So... Infinity won't fit, yes?

I'm looking at this picture above and this gemini looks nice. I mean - It's intended to be cooling NB and RAM too, right? But how about temps on Q6600 and this cooler?
    Thanks for your info :)

4. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

Infinity may have problem with P35-DS4 Rev.1.0 due to its LGA installation kit, but may work in some batchs of the boards.
    however, Ninja Plus Rev.B is perfectly fit P35-DS4 Rev. 1.0.
    if you own the "P35-DS4 Rev.1.0" board with the initial designed Silent-Pipe and NB/SB/Mosfet's heatsink,
    and you also own the Ninja Plus Rev.B, then you will see that this Rev.1.0 board has it Silent-Pipe and heatsink built based on the size and shave of the Ninja Plus Rev.B CPU cooler.
    however, some may don't like the Ninja Plus Rev.B, due to its size and they have to lost the area above the DIMM slots to the Ninja's heatsink fan.

CM GeminII, TT Big Typhoon cannot be used in P35-DS4 Rev.1.0, but they may work in Rev. 1.1, 2.0 boards.
    if you overclock your CPU a lot, then the CM GeminII is not the best CPU cooler, however it's very good CPU cooler for its design, CM has built some quality into this product.

however, if you can get P35-DS4 Rev.2.0, then try having it, and you should not have problem with third party CPU coolers,
    i suggest you buy the CPU cooler after you already have the new motherboard.

--------------------------

the tallest part of Silent-Pipe and heatsink of the P35-DS4 Rev.1.0 is a bad design of it.

[​IMG]

5. Rogacz

Rogacz Porcupine Floyd

Ok, and how about P5K?

6. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Been using the p5k Deluxe for the last 2 weeks.Im not tech minded as many of you guys here but it certainly does the business for me.I just don't want to put a recommendation down just for you to be disappointed if it don't meat you're requirements.

But if you do choose the board and once installed i strongly recommend one of the first things you do is to bring the bios to the latest release.

I had a small error upon boot up.It failed to read the Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.00 GHZ 1333fsb cpu i use.Speed was fine etc,I can't remember exactly what the error the boot screen reported.

For cooling the board has four case fan points on the board.I'm certain each is individually controllable via the bios menu.

The only real gripe i do have is the position of the sata drive points.The sit right beside the first pci-e slot.With a 7900GTX card thats quite big does tend to leave access to the sata's impossible without removing the GC.

Secondly the pci ports could of been plaiced much better.One is Just under the GC..so someting large for example a sound card will block the cooling for the graphics card if it requires a two slot support.

As you maight be able to see in this pic.(Edit) Perhaps not.they sit under the back edge of the card.And thats also the best i could get all the cables into a neat order.

[​IMG]

7. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

8. Rogacz

Rogacz Porcupine Floyd

Your rig looks nice Mig-31 ;-)

Are you using stock cooling? What are the temps and noise levels like?

DFI boards look interesting. Gotta search for them in some Polish shops.
    Thanks again.

9. MIG-31

Yes it's only stock cooling for the time being.I could not stretch my budget enough to include a more superior cpu heatsink.But i do intend to upgrade this when i can afford to.

The case is a thermaltake soprano case.With a 120mm intake,A 120mm exhaust fan.My psu also has a 120mm fan (Jeantech).All these are on the MAX setting,for the noise level its a very pleasing Hum in the background.Very pleasing in my opinion.

My pc sits next to a Husky drinks cooler and that produces more noise.

As for the temps i don't use software monitors.so ican't tell you without rebooting my pc.Give me ten minutes and ill let you know what the bios reports the temps to be under stock cooling.

EDIT: Just installed PC Probe.Im not sure if thats accurate.

[​IMG]

The cpu temp has never gone over 35 c when in use going by pc probe.

10. Rogacz

Rogacz Porcupine Floyd

CPU temp at 16 degree? How's that possible on C2D @ 3 gigs with stock cooling :S

I'm stoned.

11. ChaosMinionX

ChaosMinionX USB 3 dot oh

The Temperature monitor isnt tuned for "G0" stepping chips like his 6850, as well as the bios just needs a microcode update to recognize it.

As of right now CoreTemp is the only thing that will properly read G0 chips be it quad or dualcore.

And my P5K DLX can rockout a G0 quad at like 4ghz benchable :)

12. MIG-31

Here is a pic of the PK5 Deluxe bios screen.

[​IMG]

13. Rogacz

Rogacz Porcupine Floyd

Thanks for everything.

14. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

the lastest Beta versions of both the Lavalys's EVEREST Ultimate Edition and the Core Temp program have now updated their software codes for a more correctly detection and monitor the Core temps of the Intel E6x50 processor's.

--------------------------------

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007