ASUS ROG Strix G531GT - Impressions

Discussion in 'Mobile Computing' started by IvanV, Feb 26, 2020.

1. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

After several years with my old Zenbook (I think it was UX302LG) I got a new laptop at work and, to my big surprise, it's a gaming machine, the ASUS ROG Strix G531GT.

I got it on the 7th of November and I wanted to post some impressions ever since, but I never seem to find the time so I'm opening the thread just to kickstart things. The plan is to write a few posts dealing with different aspects of the system instead of one big wall of text. :)

For starters a few words on the packaging and unboxing.

The laptop comes in a nice cardboard briefcase, that has a comfortable plastic handle and feels reassuringly sturdy. Upon opening the box, we see the laptop and below is a compartmentalized section with the basics (the charger and some leaflets). It's a standard affair, but done nicely. No proper manual is supplied.

IMG_20191107_123822cs.jpg IMG_20191107_123919cs.jpg
    The first impressions about the build quality are "not great, not terrible": no creaking or major flexing and the plastic feels okay, but there is also not a single bit of premium materials to be seen or felt. Also, unless you are very careful while closing the lid, when you get to the about last 2cm, it has a tendency to slam down.

Similarly, the power brick is... not huge, but not particularly small either and also the power cord could be a tad longer, but it's not too short.

The overall design is nice. I find the WASD keys to be a little bit of an eyesore, but, apart from that, it's a good looking machine, with thin bezels around the 15.6" screen.

IMG_20191107_124027cs.jpg IMG_20191107_124146cs.jpg

The basic specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i7-9750H (6 cores, 12 threads, up to 4.5GHz boost)
    RAM: 16GB DDR4 @ 2667MHz
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 (+ Intel UHD Graphics 630)
    SSD: Micron 512GB
    HDD: Seagate 1TB
    Display: 15.6" FHD @ 120Hz
    RGB, of course (sadly, the ROG logo on the lid does nothing)

RGBkolaz.jpg

I might post some bench results in a subsequent post, but for now, I'll just say that it's an impressive machine. I actually have it running the "Silent" profile, which limits the boost frequency. It makes it a lot quieter, cooler, extends the battery life significantly (on normal, it will do around 1 hour on battery, on silent, maybe 3, give or take), without any perceivable loss in responsiveness (the difference tells in benchmark and heavy tasks, but for "regular" work, you really can't tell that it's running a slower profile except by the fact that it's pleasantly quiet).

The GPU is the lowest end one available, but it will do AC Odyssey smoothly at 1080p at just one global graphics preset level below the max. I haven't played any esports titles (I haven't actually gamed on it really), but I'm confident it would run those at framerates that would take advantage of the 120Hz display.

One thing that I was slightly surprised it hadn't come with is the webcam, but I don't really miss it. The microphone is there and seems to work quite nicely. As for connectivity, it comes with three USB3 ports, all on the left side and slightly too close to one another (it has been an issue on occasion), a headphone jack, also on the left, and on the back are the power port (old school thick and round one), a full size HDMI port and a Gigabit LAN port.

Attached Files:

Calliers and MIG-31 like this.
  2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Very impressive. Enjoy your new toy!

My current keyboard came with silver WASD keys that I can replace the regular black ones with but I have opted to keep the black ones on it and I understand where you're coming from when you say you don't really like the fact that the WASD keys aren't the same color as the other keys.

And as for the RGB on your laptop, I love it, you should make it breathe, that's like imo the best RGB profile. That or solid purple.

3. reviewcart

reviewcart New Member

Do not expect great battery life from high performance gaming laptops. The 120Hz screen, 1650 gpu and i7 cpu will take up a lot of juice. And it has a 3 cell battery. Expect to keep it plugged in most of the time.