ATI 9800 PRO Stability problems!

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Raider1, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Raider1

Raider1 There is always next year

2. shuki

shuki New Member

Get you a good 350W or 400W name brand PSU. I would go with sparkle myself or maybe antec or enermax.... Just go pick one up locally now though if you can to test and confirm it is the PSU (which 99.9% sure seems to be the problem mr. $17 PSU :lol: ) Then if it is order a good one from newegg or some place and return for refund the one you buy local.

3. Raider1

What about a 400w Raidmax , I just spent alot of money on this video card so im broker than a $2 hore :oops:

DC output Voltage:+3.3V/+5V/+12V/-5V/-12V/+5V/VSB

Max. Load: 28A/30A/15A/0.5A/0.8A/2.0A

4. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Seems ok, but I recommend one with atleast 20A on the +12v line just to be safe. If you could do the $10 extra for the Sparkle psu it'd be better, but this one should work fine;)

5. shuki

shuki New Member

I've never heard of "raidmax" ... :bleh: of course that doesn't mean much :lol:

anyhow, buy local so if it DOES NOT HELP you can take it back hassle free ;)

6. Raider1

Yeah i though about that but im in a small hick town and all they have really is staples and they want $89.99 for a antec 400w . I could return it but still i have to come up with $89.99 :duh: Ill figur it out thanks for all your help guys ;)

7. Raider1

Here is the question of the day. If it is my PSU. Then why cant i run CAT 3.7 and can run games with Cat 3.4 ? :confused:

8. Raider1

almost half way to 500 post. I need my Raider Avitar :evil:

9. shuki

shuki New Member

have you tried thoroughly cleaning out all old driver stuff? ie driver cleaner or long old fashioned method? then reinstalling?

you're right, it doesn't make sense that 3.4 works fine and then upgrading to 3.7 now you get locks. Though either way I would buy a very, very solid PSU...

10. Raider1

OK this is all what i tried today. i went to staples and got a 300w antec PSU all they had was 300w :( . I put it in and it still didnt work.
    So i went to wrk and grabed my office computer just so i could try my video card out and see if it's the video card. Card worked very well even using the cat 3.7's :evil: Ok so i looked in the case at the PSU it is ony a 250w . so we now know it's not the PSU. even though im still getting a solid 400w psu cuss i cant go wrong there ;) Next i pulled thew ram out of my mashine and switched it with the ram of the other computer. no go thwere eather. so we now know its not the ram. then i pulled every device out of my tower to make sure there are no irq conflices. still no go there. Now it's down to this mobo. i checked every setting all good , fast writes off , running agp 8X ..... wait the other computer is only agp 4x awww ha . i switch my card to agp 4x and now it is running stable with the 3.7 drivers and with fast writes on :evil: . I just order the 400w antec dual fan PSU 2 min ago just in case. Now the trick is getting my mobo to handle this card in 8X mode. Cuss my 3d mark scores are still only in the 14000's . I think i mite get new mobo. you guys have any recomendations on a p4 board , thats run agp 8x ddr-ram that runs at least 333 mhz ata-133 , usb 2.0 and has bio's that i can tweak setting like agp port voltige and cpu ,ram ?

Mind that i did format my hard drive and installed , XP , SP1 DX9b, agp 1.16b drivers, new bios and d/l evey cat driver since 3.2

11. Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady Avril Fan

ok, maybe the AGP bridge is damaged

12. Raider1

Yeah. Im already looking for a new board. :D

13. johny_rotten

johny_rotten New Member

OMG, I got the same board, and the same exact problem !!

Raider1,

I've been reading through posts in this forum for about 2 weeks now, because I just upgraded from a Ti4200 to a Sappire 9600 pro ( or at least thought I was upgrading ). It's been one problem after another ever since. My Ti 4200 worked flawlessly for me, but I wanted DX9 support. Now I don't have the Ti4200 (long story).
    Anyways, Ive got the same Gigabyte Ga-8SG667 MOBO. I was also locking up when I would play SOF 2. Then I found in my MOBO manual, a "manual correction" leaflet, this is exactly what it says:

"Due to the compatibility problem between SiS chipset and AGP 8X under O.S Windows XP, the default setting (AGP Transfer Rate set to 4X whatever AGP 3.0 or 2.0) is strongly recommened. Please do not set the option to 8X. "

I switched from AGP 8X to 4X and turned off fast writes, and have had no more crashes. like that with SOF 2. I'm having lots of other problems though, that I think may be driver related. I'm gonna do an uninstall and clean re-install of the driver tonight. I hope it helps otherwise i'll be buying a new MOBO, and a new Video card. the more hardware I but the more scared I become of just getting more flawed hardware, that does not perform as advertised. I bought this board because it claimed to do AGP 8X and DDR400. I've had problems with stabiltiy on both accounts. I bought a gig (two sticks) of the recommended kingston DDR400 modules, and no go. I had to send them back, fortunatly Googlegear took them back. NO MORE GIGABYTE FOR ME !!

Seems we have very similar hardware configurations and problems, I'm also curiuos about what games you play. I gots tons of games installed (mostly shooters), and am still having problems with most of them (crashes, weird graphics, no graphics, etc...), whereas, I had nutin but stable smooth gameplay from my Ti4200 across the board. I'm hopin I can fix it on this Win XP install. I have a clean install of Win 98se on the other drive and the card seems to perform crash free on that OS, but still not with the framerates I was getting out of the Ti4200. iv'e tried the ATi 3.7's and am currently running the latest Omega 3.7's , which sped things up framerate wise (like 30% faster in Quake3 timedemo's), but am still crashing in many of the DirectX based games that I have installed (homeworld 2, NOLF2, etc,..).

Anyways, I just was thinkin you might like to know that it's prolly not that the board is damaged, but that the board just SUCKS. I'm gonna stick with an intel based board next time. The 875 chipset based boards look like the way to go to me. let me know what you get and how it works for you.

Hope it all goes well for ya. As for me, I'm gonna try a re-install of the driver with "Driver Cleaner 2.0" and hope it works. If not then maybe a re-install of Windows XP. :hmm: I wish ATi wrote better drivers. : (

System:
    Gigabyte GA-8SG677 MOBO
    Okia 420 watt PSU
    P4 2.5
    512mb Samsung DDR400
    Creative Audigy 1
    Sappire Radeon 9700 pro (omega drivers 3.7's)
    Windows XP pro on Maxtor 80 gig ATA 133
    Windows 98se on Maxtor 60 gig ATA 133

14. Kgentatszu]

Kgentatszu] New Member

if you guys want a good mobo, i would recommend, P4P800-deluxe or P4C800-deluxe if ya want the best..... www.asus.com

15. IdiotWithAStick

IdiotWithAStick New Member

Sometimes it depends on what motherboard you have. I used to have an ASUS p4g8x, and it crashed every time after about 10-30 minutes into my games (Primarily C&C Generals).

The only stable config i found was...
    Fast-Writes=Off (Located in bios or SmartGART utility)
    AGP=4x (Located in bios or SmartGART utility)
    Write Caching=Off. (Located in Troubleshooting in advanced display options)

(NOTE: YOU GET A PERFORMANCE HIT WHEN DOING THIS, AND I RECOMMEND BUYING A DIFFERENT MOBO INSTEAD!)

ABIT is the best performng and most stable motherboard manufacturer (except a few duds) in my long experiance in building computers. Do this only if you cant find another solution or dont have the money.

This should stabilize your system.

This mostly seems to be happening on Intel GRANITEBAY chipset boards (as far as i know).

My ABIT IC7-MAX3 runs stable with all settings on.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2003
  16. Raider1

johny_rotten,

I wouldnt say it's gigabyte they seem to make good stuff , but i would say it's the sis 648 chipset. Your right ,we should go with the intel chipset i found a good abit board bases off the 865G chipset 875's little brother. and it is under $100 and sapports all the featers and more that this board does it's the IS7 CHeck it out . I total forgot about the omega drivers. i need to install them right away. i mean now that i got this card to work right i need the performance to go up a little. Funny my friend has this same board that's where i got ride of my ti4200 and he bought a kingston pc3200 stick wouldnt even let me install windows kept getting genrel fault errors. then i just clocked the ram down to 333 mhz and it worked like a charm. Johny i would recomended formating your hard drive. Installing the F5 bio's (witch say they help with agp 8x stabily ) xp with sp1, omega 3.7, 1.16b agp drivers, dX9b,put the card on agp 4X and leave fast-writes on or off witch ever is more stable for you. I have my on and no crashes yet and i have looped 3d mark 2001 se and did qake III bench , and used the tranqullity sceen saver from here. bty is a great sceen saver and also a good DX9 test. thanks DH. As for the games i play, currenlty i have installed are , splinter cell, morrowind, qake III, Half-life, & comanche 4. later im going to install Unreal II just to see what kinda frames i get with all the setting turn up all the way up on my card and on the game. I want to see what this baby can do :evil: does anyone now how to get splinter cell to show the FPS ?

Bty Johny we should be glad that is just the board and not our cards. Id rather pay $89.00 for a new board than $450.00 for a new card any day:D

17. Raider1

I just installed the Omega drivers i got 3 more fps on the quake III bench. My score was 293.1 FPS

with the following settings and my card at defualt settings:

1152 X 864
    simple items off
    32 bit color
    GL on
    vertex shading
    high detail
    32 bit tex
    tri filter

18. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Yeah, gigabyte makes very high quality stuff- I would say it's the chipset too.

19. Raider1

Only thing i dont like about the intel chipset it only sapports up to DMA 100, no ata 133, but it does have SATA witch you cant go wrong there.

20. johny_rotten

johny_rotten New Member

Clean Driver install helped : )

Raider1

I finally got the time to do a clean uninstall, re-install of my drivers with a combination of the Driver Cleaner v2.0 program and the info from Genius's, "DRIVER INSTALLATION GUIDE FOR n00bs" thread in this forum. It seems to have helped a great deal ;) I'm still gonna get a new MOBO, but with 4X agp and fast writes off, and a good driver install, it will hold me over for a while, till I can afford one. When I do get a new board, I got my eye on the, Intel D875PBZLK i875P P4 . Your right about it only having ATA100, but in reality, I don't think it really matters, specially since I would eventually be switching to SATA anyways. I've got 2 ATA133 drives on my Gigabyte board, and I think ATA 133 is overated.
    Funny you only saw a 3 fps improvment on the Omega drivers with Quake 3 timedemo. With all the game settings on high, 32bit color and 1152x864 and 4X AA on, I only got 87 fps out of the ATi drivers. The Omega drivers gave me 121 fps with the same settings.
    Thanks for the tip about the 1.16b agp drivers, I got em now. and as for the rest of your advice I'm already onboard with it all. thanks for the help.

P4 2.5 Ghz
    512mb Samsung DDR400
    Creative Audigy 1
    Sappire Radeon 9700 pro (omega drivers 3.7's)
    Windows XP pro on Maxtor 80 gig ATA 133
    Windows 98se on Maxtor 60 gig ATA 133