ATI 9800 XT Dead Cooling Fan :(

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Mazuko, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Mazuko

Mazuko Well-Known Member

Well...I finally got my new 64 bit system up and running and lo and behold the cooling fan on my 9800 XT took a crap. Short of paying ATI the $75 + shipping to RMA the card, or replacing the ATI heatsink with a 3rd parties, where can I find a replacement fan for this card? Yes I am the original owner of this card, and I have the original sales receipt somewhere.

Again I have looked everywhere and from what I have been able to gather ATI supposedly does not sell "replacement fans" for their videocards. I have not been able to contact ATI via telephone about this as today is Saturday...any help would be appreciated!

2. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

Im sure everyone here is going to recommend an artic cooler however I approached it from a different angle. Trawl everyones sigs till you find someone with an artic cooler already fitted then ask if they'd like to donate/sell their stock cooler. PURE GENIUS EVEN IF I DO SAY SO MYSELF:D .

3. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Hmm or you could do an ebay deal for a replacement oem fan. There is still a number of people here with xt's so maybe you can get a fan off one of them.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2005
  4. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

actually, i was going to suggest that myself. to get the artic cooler for your video card. they work great....really they do. that's why i got one for my video card :p.

5. Sandok

Sandok New Member

dude, just get a 3rd party cooler. they cool better, are cheaper than what your going to have to pay for the XT cooler, etc...

6. Mazuko

Mazuko Well-Known Member

THe thing is I said I did not want to replace the sink or the cooler...I just want to replace the fan.

I am not keen on the idea of dropping another $48 bucks on the arctic cooler v3 when I could buy a fan, not the entire cooling solution just the FAN, someplace for a fraction of that price.

7. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

I doubt you'll get one the same. I really do.

You could go with a Zalman VF700 which would perform better and be mroe reliable.

Yes I understand you only want the fan but I had this happen and already went through hoops just to find it wouldn't happen...so I'll spare you the agony :)

8. CDsDontBurn

if you want JUST the fan, then what you'll probably need to do is go out and buy a $10 60mm case fan, and mod it onto the heat sink of the video card to get back just the fan.

That is unless you want to go through the trouble of RMAing the video card just to get the fan back, or looking around for people who have a spare 9800xt lying around that they don't need or use anymore that can spare you their fan, which will more than likley not happen.

Those are the reasons why we are suggesting to you to get an after market HSF unit for your video card. It will be easier to obtain, and cool better than the stock HSF ever did.

9. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

A 9800 XT doesn't use a 60 MM fan, my AiW 9800 Pro did until it died, but the fan pushed no air and it ran at like 6,000 RPM....

A 9800 XT I doubt would be worth salvaging a stock cooler

10. CDsDontBurn

i was just trying to make an example

11. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Oh.

Still doesn't use one :rofl: