ATi bios flashing: the proper way.

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Ðamage™, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Ballantin

Ballantin New Member

First of all hello :p
    Im starting to tink its not possible to flash my bios but i need to try it. Is an Ati Radeon IGP 345M. I also have some russian programs that promise to edit a bios image. Is a posible solution?

Thanks for all and sorry for my bad english.

2. cwolfx2

cwolfx2 New Member

x800 pro - x800 xt

Hey damage im a little new here but you think i can ask you some questions on Instant messenger>? I think im just way too overly careful when it comes to Bios flashing.. but instead of flooding this forum id like to ask you all of them directly if ok. Basically im trying to get my REFURBISHED ATI x800 pro (agp) to a ATI x800 XT (AGP). I have had problems finding a proper bios (first off no ati x800 xt (agp's) listed without the Platinum edition). And also some general questions to double check on. If not ill just post all of them here.. and follow your original guide religiously.. (and crossing all possible fingers).

I only post here (instead of pm) because if anyone else wants to add their 2 cents i welcome it. Just 2 general questions for now.. would my refurbished x800 pro (agp) card be able to convert to a x800 xt (agp) and if so where is the x800 xt agp bios (all i can find are x800 xt PE (agp) or the original x800 xt (pci-e) Would the card handle a Platinum edition xt bios?).

3. Dirnt27

Dirnt27 New Member

Ty

Hey thanks alot got my stock ati x850 core=500 mem=500 running with saphire x850xt bios core=540 mem= 590 real nice temps are not bad but I am going out this weekend and buying the a-bit fatality vga cooler so I can oc a little more lol. :drool:

4. Ðamage™

Ðamage™ New Member

Hey cwolfx2, Yes you should be able to flash that card into the x800xt, but like i've said before too anyone going to overclock. Make sure you download a overclocking program like Ati Tray Tools, or ATI Tool. Once you find the specs of the x800xt which range from quite a few from what I've seen, for example 520/560 or 500/500, then try overlocking these rates to see if your x800 Pro will reach these specs indicated from the rates I just showed you. If the card in question can make these specs and are stable for a long period of time it would be safe too assume that modding your bios to a x800xt would be more then likely accomplished. The best places for Ati Bios files are TechPowerUp! and Adrian's Rojak Pot. Also make sure when picking your new bios that it shares the same similarities to your memory, that being either Hynix, Samsung, etc, the best way to find that information is too look right onto the ram on your vga card and it will tell you.. like mine did which was "hynix 2.8". I hope this helped and if you need any more help, dont be shy and welcome to Driverheaven bro.

Peace, Ðamage™ ;)

5. junkyjorje

junkyjorje New Member

Modify Bootup Refresh Rate

Hi, this thread is quite long already and there are a couple of unanswered questions in it, but ive been trying to fix my problem for a long time so i will just go ahead and ask...

Is there any way to modify the refresh rate of your vid card/monitor when it first boots up??? i hate it when my bios boots up and im getting 60hz. ive once seen a computer with a 75hz startup refresh rate and I liked that.
    Ive found a program called radedit 1.1D which (im assuming, i havent tried it yet) lets one permanently change their refresh rates for 640X480, 800X600, 1024X768... but it doesnt have an option of changing refresh rate for 600X400 (which my comp boots up into). I had a look at my bin file in a hex editor after i changed the refresh rates, but i am totally lost in all of those hex numbers :sigh:.

Does anyone know what hex values to change to modify in the bin file that would correspond to an increase in default refreshrate? or even a link of where i could start looking??
    btw, my vidcard specs are as follows: ATI radeon 9600 XT AIW in a chaintech VNF3-250 mobo. vid card memory is Samsung and im guessing its 3.3ns

6. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

Is it worth flashing the bios on a X800XT and if so could anyone recommend a bios update. My memory is the faster rated Samsung 1.6ns and I have comfortable overclocking room.

Im guessing the only point to a bios flash is to set boot up clock rates rather than software overclocking, am I right?

7. Ðamage™

Ðamage™ New Member

Hey JunkyJorge, the answer to your question is simple. You need to go into your Catalyst Control Panel and set your refresh rate, the way to do this is to set your view of the CCC to advanced mode which will give you all the options you'll need to adjust this. So View tab > Advanced View, then you want to head down to Display Manager and adjust your refresh rate to whatever your heart desires, mine is set to 85 Hz which is optimal for most monitors. Then go to Display Options and set your 3D Refresh Rate Overide to 85 Hz, then reboot. Now some monitors still won't adjust to the specified rate unless you go to Monitor Properties and uncheck the EDID, you'll have to check your monitor specs but mine is set too 1600 X 1200 which is the max for my monitor, and then set your maximum refresh rate to your monitors, again mine is set too 120 Hz because that's the highest rate my monitor will do. This should solve your 60 Hz refresh rate problem and if you have any more questions just let me know. Oh one more thing.. if in games you're still getting 60 Hz then turn off your vertical sync in your 3D options.

Hey Lelisevis, your card is in no way in need of a bios flash unless there is a bin with better timings or has a higher core/memory clock. If you want to update your bios version to a newer one then go ahead, some report of overclocking higher and some report lower, it all depends on the bios and what the timings are. You can also create your own bios with an ati bios editor and set your own timings and such. Just make sure you backup your original bios before flashing, hope this answers your question and if not let me know.

Peace, Ðamage™

8. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

Thanks for the advice Damage, you pretty much confirmed my theory. I'll just leave it as it is for now.

9. xtatik

xtatik New Member

Sorry, but I am a complete n00b when it come to graphics cards but after reading a WindowsXP mag, I saw it was possible to update a bios on the card.

The example it gave was that most 256mb editions of the 9800 cards are actually bigger and faster 9800XT's with a switch on it, turned down to act slower and dumber. Updating the bios will unlock it to its full potential.

Is this correct??? If so maybe you can help me with the next bit....

I just installed a Hercules 9800SE All-In-Wonder 128mb card into the computer at work (what better way to invalidate a 3 year warrenty after only a week), but obviously find on the latest games it runs very sluggish. Now, I know this card will have it's limits and anything I do won't make a vast difference but will updating the bios make the card any faster???

10. the big Firefly

the big Firefly New Member

this is the fist time i red this thread. i cant find the dios for my gigabyte ATI Radeon X700pro 128ddr3 128bit. can somebody help

11. pronator

pronator New Member

i've been looking to flash my radeon 9550 256mb with a new bios but i can't figure out which one to use. it's running on default clocks 250/200 and it has samsung 5.0ns ram. i'm hoping to flash it to a 9600 of some sort with faster clocks. any help would be greatly appreciated

12. suhi-R

suhi-R New Member

hi i need little help here

i have radeon sapphire 9600 128mb with mezza ram and would like to flash it to pro or xt if posible but i dont have the bios for it. can someone make it for me :oops: :p

13. Ðamage™

Ðamage™ New Member

Hey xtatik, big firefly, pronator, and suhi-r. You basically all have the same questions about getting a bios to flash for your card.. hopefully looking for a few fps gains or higher clock rates. The easiest way for me to help you is to talk via messenger, so if you're still looking for a certain bios or need help obtaining one then add me to your msn and i'll see what I can do for ya, until then.. new people to the forum, welcome to DH and for anyone else that has similar questions.. ill seeya around.

Peace, Ðamage™ :cool:

14. Kaldar

Kaldar New Member

is it possible to flash my x800xt and if so how much better would it be?

15. Ðamage™

Ðamage™ New Member

Hey Kaldar, just curious as too what if any overclocking you've done to the card and what speeds you're able to reach with the core and memory of your vga card, this will give me a better understanding of what your card is capabable of and if you haven't overclocked then I would suggest doing so, so we can see what kind of a yield we are going to get out of it before flashing.

Peace, Ðamage™

16. pronator

pronator New Member

i'd like to say thanks, damage, for your help in finding me the 9600xt bios to flash my 9550. the new clocks @ 500/200 made the card unstable so that it would crash after 3 mins of running 3dmark05. no worries tho, i bumped the core down to 450 cuz i knew the gpu could run just fine at that speed. some benchmark results:

orig 9550 bios

3dmark01 - 8911
    3dmark05 - 1246

tweaked 9600xt bios

3dmark01 - 10953
    3dmark05 - 1700

i'm quite pleased at the results only until i save enough for a new x800xt [​IMG]

17. Ðamage™

Ðamage™ New Member

Hey Pronator, I'm glad I could help and the 3d mark test looks impressive. Good work on the flash and if you have any other questions just let me know.

Peace, Ðamage™

18. Kaldar

Kaldar New Member

damage, i havnt really done any overclocking yet, im trying to push it to its limits on stock cooling for now untill i get a better vga cooler,, right now im running at 524mhz core/memory.

19. SWNDakota

SWNDakota New Member

Damage,

I read you response to a question about a sapphire-radeon x800xl 512mb PCIe with VIVO earlier and was hoping you might be able to help me out too.

I have a refurbished card thats out of warranty and I'm not necessarily looking for a new bios, but I've got a strange stability problem. This is what happens.

I boot up my computer and I have no problems some of the time, but other times it hangs at the startup screen. sometimes I get into windows and it works until I open an application like internet explorer, click the start menu, or open "my computer". But here is the crazy part, If I launch a game like dungion siege before the graphics go goofy it will run the game at 60 fps on the highest setting and I can play for hours with no problems. but if I exit back into windows and open internet explorer it blue screens or streaks and I have to force power off.

Any Ideas?

I don't know if it has been o.c.'d, before... I haven't done anything to it.
    The memory is 512 mb of samsung DDR3

If there are any other system incompatibilities my specs ar as follows:

Note: system was run for a week with an old legacy two Mb card and is increadibly stable.

Supermicro x6dal-xg
    dual 64bit xeon 3.2ghz processors with 800 mhz fsb
    a JGE 500 watt atx eps 12v powersupply
    4 Gb interleaved 333 mhz ram

This got a bit long, Hopefully You can help me,

SWNDAkota

20. Ðamage™

Ðamage™ New Member

Hey SWNDAkota, I think I helped you out on messenger if I'm not mistaken, but if not.. I'd make sure too check your bios settings and take a look @ your AGP Aperture size and set it too 128 or 256 meg and see if that helps. Also make sure that your AGP Frequency is set too Auto or 66 Mhz. If you're still having problems or just have a question, then talk to me on messenger and we'll keep workin on tryin to fix it.

Peace and welcome to Driverheaven, Ðamage™ ;)