ATi bios flashing: the proper way.

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Ðamage™, Jul 6, 2005.

1. NeoKrieger

NeoKrieger New Member

Quick question about the X800GTO -> X850XT PE mod over at techpowerup.com :
    I checked in ATITool, and my card is moddable to 16pipes. In their walkthrough, they talk about using an unlocked Sapphire X800GTO2 or Connect3D X800 bios. Does it matter if mine is one of those actual cards or not? I've gotten mine to O/C to 480/530 but i want to use those xtra pipes! Any help would be appreciated.

2. Mazhule

Mazhule New Member

i've recently to flashed my Sapphire ATI Radeon 9550 256mb with a new bios but it doesn't seem like it's actually improved the performance. It was flashed with ATIflash to Radeon 9600XT 256mb with Mezza memory. i'm hoping to see if it was some sort of mistake on my part as I followed your much appreciated guide to the tee. Any help would be really appreciated!

3. Ðamage™

Ðamage™ New Member

Hey Neo, the main issue is with the core/memory, as long as you can reach those speeds with good stability and your card has no problems with the overclocking you're doing. Then I see no issue modding your card so that you have those 16 pipelines. Just make sure you read carefully and do the research on what memory is being used for the mod along with your corresponding memory and get flash happy. If you have any other questions just let me know and I'll help you with any further information.

Hey Mazhule, good to see another successful flash. When you flash your card with a modded bios or a different cards bios, you are not always going to get an explosive improvement or even a moderatly substantial one. Obviously with flashing your card to the 9600xt, your core and memory are going to be higher which in most cases will yield some fps improvement but there is never a 100% guarantee that things are going to be jaw dropping. I would count yourself lucky that the flash was error free and you still have a card to play with. Just a side note also, it's a rule of thumb to always double check the ram modules and make sure that the bios you're using to flash has the same memory on your specific vga card, because that can create some inconsistency and can become unstable at any time. You might not notice the difference right away, but you might go to turn your computer on one day and notice that you either can't boot up or you get distorted lines across your screen, among other wonderful things which would leave your ati card obsolete.

Peace & welcome to DH, Ðamage™ ;)

Last edited: May 25, 2006
  4. Kizmeist

Kizmeist New Member

Hey Damage, fair play to all the work youve done for everyone, i respect you dude, i want to be cheeky and ask you for some help too!

really struggling at the moment, my brain has gone to ****s

5. grifon_desonnac

grifon_desonnac New Member

Eax600xt -pcie

hello ...

My video card ...is very bad ...she make many artefact ...

damage please help me to flash the bios

:tears:

6. grifon_desonnac

Eax600xt

i tested my motherboard P5CDC deluxe with 6600 and x550 video cards and y see no more artefact in game . i tested whit this video cards in 3dmark 03, 3dmark05, 3dmark06 and pcmark05 and was ok .my pc never crash whis video cards .

7. grifon_desonnac

i will bay ATI Silencer 1 (Rev. 2) for my eax600xt and see that i solved the problem whit this artefacts .
    after that i want to find a proper bios for my x600xt .
    Damage please can you help me in my quest ?

tank you sire
    P.S
    any sugestion for my problem will be apreciate
    please tell me your opinion about Overclocking the EAX600XT and modify the bios at gpu/ram (600/400) . the ram is Hynix BGA DDR DRAM -2,2. default is 500/370
    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1687&page=2

forgive my bad english , i am a real analfabet for neau

i will try to learn english in the future

8. Ðamage™

Ðamage™ New Member

I would be more then happy to help you guys out with your flashes, installin msn as I type here. Talk to you soon, and for anyone else that is interested in flashing just let me know via msn or xfire: deanmeister

Talk to you soon, Ðamage™ ;)

9. NinjaTurtle

NinjaTurtle New Member

Hi there!

New guy here. I purchased a used ATI X850 XT AGP 2-slot for PC, not the single slot found as OEM on PowerMac G5s. The goal is to flash it with the equivalent Mac bios so that I can use it in my Mac G4 867MHz Quicksilver (2001). By the way, I already know that I have to cover up pins 3 and 11 in order for an 8x AGP card to work in my Apple 4x AGP slot.

I have not been able to locate a Mac version of the bios. My understanding is that the data format of the bios has to be big-endian so that it is compatible with PowerPC; Intel processors are little-endian.

Does anyone know where I can find a Mac version, or perhaps you know of a trustworthy utility that can convert a file to a different endianness?

If you need to know the exact GPU version and RAM type, then it will have to wait until I can get in the lab at work tomorrow so that I can replace the thermal compound.

I appreciate the assistance.

10. shinyo

shinyo New Member

only registered to say a big THANK YOU, this guide just saved me the €400 i would have to spend on a new graca.

perhaps one little addition, for people with multiple GPU (I had an 3870x2 card) use the commands :
    a:\atiflash -p 0 biosmaster.bin
    a:\atiflash -p 1 biosslave.bin

if you search a bit you'll find both files np :)

THANKS AGAIN !

edit : just adding a detailed description of my problem, to get some keywords in google for people having the same issue (if that's allowed? If not, remove!)

At first, nothing was wrong. I have 1 hard-disk with vista and one hard-disk with windows xp pro, i always used them seperately. 3 days ago i accidently booted up with both hard-drives attached, windows xp started up but freezed at the windows-logo (with the scrolling bar).... Then it all began => HOURS of searching.
    - hard-drives seperatly wouldnt boot anymore (xp always stuck at the windowslogo with scrollingbar, vista stuck just after that point with a very general error on a bluescreen)
    - ran memtest
    - formatted both cards using : normal format (then reinstalled windows but same problem) and afterwards formatted with killdisk
    - installed different operating systems, all with the same problem (xp, vista, win7)
    - flashed my main processor bios to a newer and an older version, both no succes
    - after some hours, i finally managed to get windows xp on it completely, installing motherboard drivers & xxx restarts were no problem at all, but from the point where i tried to install my graphic card drivers and rebooted my pc, i had the crash at the same point again...

This pointed me in the direction of a graphic card error (after hours of googling i accidently came accross a very old forum with someone having the same freezing-problem & saying it was his graphic card, but no solution was provided)
    - i tried installing my graphic card in another pc, but same problem there (this was a SERIOUS hint towards a graphic card failure :) )
    - my pc ran perfectly with another graphic card
    - was at the point of choosing a new graphic card to buy, but then thought 'hey why not try a graphic card bios flash' (yeh i dont know why i thought that :D ) but never found a decent enough place to explain a working way
    - stumbled on here, first try and worked perfectly :D (innitially only flashed 1 of the 2 gpu with the regular command though, did a driver uninstall & fresh -pa flash and running supersmooth now :) )

THANKS AGAIN ;)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  11. jlaprise

jlaprise New Member

Is there any help for a guy trying to squeeze as much life out of his aging X800 agp card? latest bios and flash tool would be a great start, somewhat computer savvy, but no knowledge of 'command line' stuff, and have no A:/ drive.

Merry Christmas, and thanks for any help :)

12. deBelly

deBelly New Member

I'm using Radeon Bios Editor (RBE) for editing and winflash (ATIwinflash.exe) for flashing. You can flash from Windows, no need for floppy.
    I'm not sure if it works for AGP and old cards, though.
    Merry Christmas