ATI Catalyst™ 9.1 Display Driver for Windows Vista

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by MIG-31, Jan 29, 2009.

1. kn00tcn

kn00tcn New Member

smooth install overtop as always

need to test more games other than GTA4, which is crashing worse than 8.12+patch1, may or may not be related to drivers or patch2, which the official rockstar link took down the patch2 installer & you can only dload patch1 (december 12) off it

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

So far 9.1 is my favourite driver. Very good job and fixed some of the major problems I had with it.

3. Wowman

Wowman New Member

Hi Guys

Hope you may be able to help...

I just got a 4870X2 card and installed it in my system with catalyst 8.12.

Everything ran fine until i tried to update to 9.1....when i try to install that version i get an error about .INF file missing or not found.

I ran driver cleaner before the attempted update and still got the same error after a few attempts.

I eventually ran driver cleaner again and went back to 8.12 which is okay.

Can you suggest anything for me to try ??

Thanks

Wow

4. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Just try installlling the 9.1s on top of the 8.12s with out running a driver cleaner or uninstalling anything.

For the last 6 month, or maybe longer, it's been unnecessary to uninstall anything before you update. The newer CATS do an uninstall of the old drivers as part of the install.

If anything, lately, it seems that the various "driver cleaners"' out there cause more troubles than they are worth.

5. Wowman

Wowman New Member

Hi Oldbuzzard

Thanks for the reply, i remembered needing to use driver cleaner ages ago and just thought it would still be the case.

I'll try what you suggest and see how i go

Thanks

6. Wowman

Wowman New Member

I tried installing 9.1 over the top of my 8.12 and still got the INF file missing error.

So i uninstalled all the ATI software in windows control panel and rebooted.

I then installed the driver i got with my card and then 8.12, everything worked well.

When i again tried to install 9.1 i got the same INF file not found error again.

Should i clean install Vista and try 9.1 again are these drivers worth the effort ???

7. SeraphicSorcerer

SeraphicSorcerer Well-Known Member

I would try redownloading them, maybe something got corrupted dude.

8. kn00tcn

kn00tcn New Member

who made your x2? (wowman)

earlier, just under 2hrs of BF2142 & it crashed, with 'faulting module' atiumdag.dll error

as for gta4, consistently crashes after 25-35min, got some rivatuner logs, memory nearing 4gb usage, PF at 4gb for a while, & USUALLY crashes with atiumdag.dll as the 'faulting module', gonna test with medium textures & lower view distance sometime

9. necrophyte

necrophyte New Member

since having installed (mobility modded) catalyst 9.1, during every startup my taskbar first appears properly (start button, language icon and clock), then dissappears completely (black empty area instead), and after some 1-2mins reappears again, and then all the other icons in the tray appear and the system is ready. also some icons like the volume icon dont appear at all, although "place icon in the taskbar" in control panel is checked and behavior of the volume icon is set to always show in the taskbar options (even hide inactive icons unchecked doesnt make them appear).

i dont know whether this happens due to the installation of catalyst 9.1, or something else (cant remember doing any major changes to the system in the past week), but it certainly wasnt like that some 8-9 days ago.

winxp pro sp3
    mobility radeon hd 2600
    mobility modded catalyst 9.1 installed over a perfectly working mobility modded catalyst 8.12 installation.

if my topic suits better to another forum, feel free to move it there, i just thought it would be good to post it here since the only change i did to the system in the past week was having installed catalyst 9.1

thanks

10. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

necrophyte, this is the section for VISTA, not XP.

11. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

As Bluemak said..this thread is for the Vista 9.1 drivers,and this thread can not be moved.

Please resubmit youre question within this Thread,this is for the windows XP 9.1's.

12. necrophyte

necrophyte New Member

sry, i didnt notice that; posted it in the right section now.

13. Wowman

Wowman New Member

Hi sorry for the late reply.

my 4870X2 is an Asus, i have solved my issue this is what i did.

i downloaded the drivers again as suggested just in case it got corrupted.

still wouldn't install, same error INF file not found.

anyway i noticed on the ATI/AMD website that there was a bundled driver package listed as the first download option and a seperate driver and ccc as the second.

as i had only tried the bundled package i downloaded the driver and ccc seperately, installed the driver and then ccc and never got the INF file error.

i removed the driver and ccc and reinstalled the same way again to just make sure the good result was repeatable and yep never got the error again.

i don't know if i made an error in downloading the bundled package in the first place or if there is some problem with it or some component of it.

thanks for the input in solving this problem for me.

Wow

14. kn00tcn

kn00tcn New Member

15. kn00tcn

kn00tcn New Member

double post, but

Grand Theft Auto Fading/Popping In Objects

i was testing if low textures/viewdistance would stop the crashing (it actually increased it to 15-20min) when i noticed that objects & textures are fading/popping in every time you look around

the crashes almost seem like they're caused by a limited number of loads for objects

i havent been playing the game lately, just driving around as many neighborhoods as possible to force the crash