ATI Catalyst™ 9.1 Display Driver for Windows XP Professional/Home

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by MIG-31, Jan 29, 2009.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Resolved Issues for the Windows XP Operating System

This section provides information on resolved issues in this release of the ATI Catalyst™ Software Suite for Windows XP. These include:
    • Catalyst Control Center Runtime does not restart automatically after HydraVision installation in Windows XP
    • Catalyst Control Center: Hydravision tab is not shown in limited user accounts for Windows XP 64 bit
    • Test corruption may be noticed when display is rotated to 'Left (90 ccw)' in resolutions greater than 1600 x 1200
    • Playing back some HD MPEG2 videos will either shows black or show a reduced Overlay Theater mode on the secondary display
    • TV may fail to display an image after installing the display driver with an HD-TV connected using DVI-HDMI adapter
    • Video corruption may be noticed with some DVI monitors during a mode switch
    • On some systems the following ATI warning dialog may be displayed after a system restore “Not enough displays to enable driver. Add another display device and try again.​

Known Issues Under the Windows XP Operating
    System
    The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced under the Windows XP operating system in the latest version of Catalyst™. These include:

Only 2 channel audio is heard when playing back multichannel (Dolby 5.1.DTS) audio through HDMI connector

Download: 32 Bit / 64 Bit

2. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Great , downloading then try , I wish it performs better with certain games ( gta iv :) )

3. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

HAHAHAHAHA They forget change the release date :) 12/10/2008
    I'm going be back on my x700pro card for couple weeks my HD 2600 pro 512meg card going be send in get my monitor swap repair or replace.

4. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

DLing this version as well and will test on the weekend :)

5. Rosco[CoF]

Rosco[CoF] New Member

I'm curious if these support the AGP 3850, or if we have to wait for another AGP Hotfix? It would be nice if the AGP 3850 were included in the stock driver set.
    ------------------------------------------
    Edit:
    Well, I decided if I wanted the answer, I'll have to find out for myself, so I installed them. I think I have a new winner, I'm keeping these. They installed just fine and are working without any issues (so far) on my Sapphire HD 3850 AGP card.

Lightsmark 2008(OpenGL) = 232.1fps (my previous best was 221.2)

F.E.A.R. Performance test = 32-Low, 73-Average, 167-Max

Both tests ran at 1680x1050, F.E.A.R. at Maximum settings in game.

I am impressed!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  6. Opuz Klass

Opuz Klass New Member

We got broken DXVA acceleration AGAIN. Can anyone else confirm this?

I've a 4870 @ XP SP3 w/ 9.1.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  7. dHV4

dHV4 New Member

How good it will be for my Radeon 9600 Pro? I mean, when I'm trying to use ATi's drivers it seems like it fcks everything up, and when I'm using Omega Drivers everything ok.

When I'm trying to use the ATI's ones, I cannot play games anymore (I'm getting Blue Screen of Death). Any help?

8. kn00tcn

kn00tcn New Member

so stick with omegas, preferably 7.12 or 7.10 (if .12 breaks some opengl)

9600 is old so latest drivers wont improve much of anything after a couple years of its launch, unless they're to fix some game/app that isnt working properly

9. petri1

petri1 New Member

well it seems as they didn´t include the optimizations from the 2nd hotfix in these for xp or vista so no multicore support as of yet.
    this is as far as i know ATI is loosing people for Nvidia due to bad drivers and lack of support, so i have heard.

but i do think 9.2 might be the 1 driver we all wait for

10. Rosco[CoF]

Rosco[CoF] New Member

You know, I love this statement every time I see it. Untrue, but always amusing to see. Allow me to explain, I highly doubt people are leaving in droves because of a driver release or two.

I had a PC with the original Radeon in it, the 8500. The other PC had a 7800GS. Granted the nVidia was faster in 3D, but both PC's had DVD drives in it, and I could not stand using the 7800GS for watching video, even the old 8500 was superior for DVD viewing. People choose their cards for the preferences in which they are used, please stop with the blanket threat of "People are gonna stop using your stuff if you don't fix my obscure game in your drivers" crap. My current 3850 loves the newer drivers, and it rocks the house when watching Blu-Ray. Is it the fastest? No. Is it the best quality? Damn straight it is!

11. kn00tcn

kn00tcn New Member

9.1 installed fine overtop 8.9 in xp64

on the previous note, people also seem to ignore nvidia's driver issues, & i'd rather not juggle between a bunch of betas trying to figure out which runs best

the multicore probably had some issues or needs some extra testing & will come in 9.2

hotfixes arent final versions of features & dont always have to end up in later releases

12. petri1

petri1 New Member

i see well since i can´t see a really clear change in benchmarks such as FC 2 GTA IV from 8.11-9.1 i might be wrong but i think it was 8.111 that gave me more fps in GTA IV than 8.12 and 9.1

But i have some more testing to do and i do not know how these games works in VISTA as of yet.

well i stand corrected....and i wasn´t thinking seriously of getting a Nvidia card rather another HD4870 512/1GB but since the ones i can choose to buy are slightly oc´d from factory i guess this PC none oc´d HD4870 is the one to set the speed or is it?

i mean will the oc´d go to the stock clocks of the first HD4870?

13. Rosco[CoF]

Rosco[CoF] New Member

That's usually how I gage my overclocks, by how a factory overclocked setting are. But that is not always a wise option either, since some of these "factory overclocked" video card quite often has better cooling options installed as well.

When it comes to overclocking, caveat emptor. You put your hardware at risk, and nobody will be to blaim except yourself.

But I do have to ask, you mentioned Vista, this thread is for the XP version of the drivers, if you are using these in Vista, you should go here to discuss.

http://www.driverheaven.net/vista-r...atalyst-9-1-display-driver-windows-vista.html

14. petri1

petri1 New Member

well ok i do use XP and i was thinking of Vista soon to see if there is any big difference in games adn such.

but i am curious if i have a non oc´d hd4870 adn put in a factory oc´d card how will the cards work?

does the Oc´d go to the speeds of the non oc´d ?
    will they both owrk after the "standard" speed of the HD4870?

15. Rosco[CoF]

Rosco[CoF] New Member

I imagine it would be fine

I cant comment on Vista, but I know games on Windows 7 is cool!

16. necrophyte

necrophyte New Member

since having installed (mobility modded) catalyst 9.1, during every startup my taskbar first appears properly (start button, language icon and clock), then dissappears completely (black empty area instead), and after some 1-2mins reappears again, and then all the other icons in the tray appear and the system is ready. also some icons like the volume icon dont appear at all, although "place icon in the taskbar" in control panel is checked and behavior of the volume icon is set to always show in the taskbar options (even hide inactive icons unchecked doesnt make them appear).

i dont know whether this happens due to the installation of catalyst 9.1, or something else (cant remember doing any major changes to the system in the past week), but it certainly wasnt like that some 8-9 days ago.

winxp pro sp3
    mobility radeon hd 2600
    mobility modded catalyst 9.1 installed over a perfectly working mobility modded catalyst 8.12 installation.

thanks

17. Shaga

Shaga Intelligent Life Form

Re: ATI Catalyst™ 9.1 Display Driver for Windows XP Professional/Home

Yes, and it's still broken in 9.2.

source: AMD Game Forums - Cat 9.1 - Broken video acceleration