ATI Catalyst™ 9.2 Display Driver for Windows Vista

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by MIG-31, Feb 20, 2009.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Performance Improvements

Catalyst™ 9.2 brings performance benefits in several cases where framerates are CPU-limited. Some measured examples are:
    • Crysis DX10 gains up to 20%
    • Crysis Warhead DX10 gains up to 5%

Resolved Issues for the Windows Vista Operating System

This section provides information on resolved issues in this release of the ATI
    Catalyst™ Software Suite for Windows Vista. These include:

• Catalyst Control Center now enables Anisotropic Filtering for DirectX 10 applications.Resolved Catalyst Control Center displaying the following warning message
    “The Catalyst Control Center is not supported by the driver version.”
    • Catalyst Control Center, Display Manager correctly shows connected monitor maximum refresh rates
    • Catalysts Control Center, component video pixel format settings are retained on system restart
    • Minor screen corruption no longer occurs at the top left of some Samsung panels when connected to ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
    • In Call of Duty 4, some intermittent game corruption no longer occurs when soften smoke edges is enabled
    • Resinstalling the display driver using the INF method on a multi-display (ATI
    Radeon HD 3870 X2, Radeon HD 3870) system does not cause the operating system to fail
    • Resolved minor flickering in the playback of a Blu-ray title that may be noticed when moving to the extended desktop
    • Catalyst Control Center, Crossfire Overdrive, changing the GPU Clock and
    Memory Clock from the default settings no longer causes a failure in the Test Custom Clocks test
    • With Anti-Alias enabled Doom3 no longer intermittently fails to start on some Crossfire systems
    • Enemy Territory: Quake Wars corruption observed in the globe in the main menu no longer occurs
    • The display driver no longer fails to load on some systems with more than 8 GB of system RAM
    • Catalyst Control Center, some HDMI monitor are not longer incorrectly reported back as DVI
    • Resolved video displaying in black and white when playing back high bitrate AVCHD files
    • Playing back some Blu-ray content with video acceleration disabled on Cyberlink Power DVD_Cinema no longer results in no video rendering
    • Fixed H.264 videos not rendering (black video) when Closed Captioning was enabled
    • Overlay Theater Mode now enables with a component video or composite video in extended modes
    • Playing some Blu-ray DVD titles on PowerDVD no longer shows the lower portion of the player window intermittently appear shaky when playing Special Features
    • Some video shake is no longer observed when fast forwarding with certain Blue-ray titles
    • Resolved intermittent system instability with catalyst 8.12 and some ATI Radeon HD 4800 CrossFire configurations
    • Video tearing no longer noticed when playing back some DVD titles on WinDVD with all hardware acceleration options enabled
    • Creating any type of an OpenGL 3.0 context (normal or forward compatible)
    and then requesting the version string no longer causes the driver to stop responding
    The OS is no longer unstable while running auto-tune when Crossfire is
    enabled

Known Issues Under the Windows Vista Operating System

This section provides information on known issues that may be experienced under the Windows Vista operating system with the latest version of Catalyst™. These include:
    • AVIVO converter may fail to convert h.264 avi video to another format
    • “Unsupported file formats” error message dialog may occur when selecting H.264,.mp4 and VC1 file formats
    • “CCC Host application...” error message dialog may occur when cancelling a transcoding process
    • Output media file size differs after transcoding multiple times to the same format
    • Catalyst Control Center, advanced color page is grayed out and preview is
    blank on some Radeon ASICS
    • Drop frames may be noticed when playing interlaced DVD content
    • The ATI AVIVO video transcoder does not currently use GPU acceleration
    under Windows Vista 64-bit edition
    • Catalyst Control Center: error message dialog 'CCC Host Application' may be
    displayed when cancelling a transcoding process

Download: 32 Bit / 64 Bit

2. MIG-31

Generally i like this driver... But im still having problems with 2 games since i switched to ati (Courtesy of DH)

Crysis including Warhead still stutters.. Even though its reduced compared to the 9.1's.

I never had this problem with my previous card,XFX 9600GT Alapha Dog Edition.

3. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Really that doesn't sound cool at all :wtf:

I am running Vista X64 as well Mig will run through some games later myself and see how it works.

Judas likes this.
  4. CJLMTLCA

CJLMTLCA Ti > IT

Installation went fine overtop 9.1

Crysis Benchmark Tool

1920 1200 noAA High 64bit DX10

MIN 18
    MAX 44
    AVG 28

MIN 17
    MAX 51
    AVG 32

1280 1024 8AA High 64bit DX10

MIN 20
    MAX 48
    AVG 32

MIN 24
    MAX 57
    AVG 36

Just some quick runs. I'll be trying some more games later on too...

Judas likes this.
  5. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

I don't have any of the Crysis series, but did your machine stutter too?

Judas likes this.
  6. MIG-31

Every game plays fine.. with out errors.Just Crysis and Warhead like i mentioned.

And my pc don't stutter.

EDIT: Im new to the ATI cards so this is an odd experiance..The last time i used ATI were something like 4-5 years ago.I received the 4870 when the 8.12's were the latest set (the 9.1's were released 2 days later).

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  7. kn00tcn

kn00tcn New Member

installed overtop, smooth as usual

fc2 lost ONE frame in the bench compared to 9.1, still great though

GTA4 seemed to take an hour before crashing instead of 30min, also appears to use less memory (according to in game bench, didnt run rivatuner during the game)

tested a few other random games, nothing out of the ordinary

cod5 water edges unchanged, fallout3 water unchanged

8. CJLMTLCA

CJLMTLCA Ti > IT

haven't run a battery of 3DMarks in a while...

Right after boot, loaded one after the other with AI on standard:

01 39530
    03 72697
    05 20295
    06 16721
    V P12527

9. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

I am in the exact same boat man I got my 4870 just before the 8.12 Cats were released my last ATI was a Sapphire X1950.

I tried Crysis for a bit seemed to run smoothly on this end might try a few benchmark runs with it myself and see how it goes.

Nice everything seems to be working well there :cool:

10. Gonzo28

Gonzo28 New Member

9.2 is buggy on my 4870X2.
    my desktop is dark, really dark, just my mousepointer has correct brigthness.
    if i slide the gamma settings to 1,05 and then back to 1,0 all is fine as long as i do not start a game.
    after exiting a 3d application or game its dark again.
    looks like extreme energy saving mode, lol.

still no advanced deinterlacing options available under vista 64.
    Ati whats wrong with you?
    i alway buy your cards for 400-500 €, always the highend modell and now i am unable to watch tv movies in good quality and have to use a software deinterlacer, thats not what i paid for.
    i reported that in early december, answer was "will be fixed in an upcoming driver" and now there is 9.2 still without a fix.
    damn it.

@catalystmaker do you know when it will be fixed?

11. peter124

peter124 New Member

Hello there, I came across this site while looking to update or sort out my driver problems with an Acer Aspire 3470z laptop on which I have just loaded vista The ATI download via Windows update causes my screen to look like white venetian blinds and I have to reboot. The laptop works ok with the standard VGA driver supplied by Vista but I do like to keep my drivers up to date. Never had a problen my son could not sort out before, but I'm currently living in Thailand and he is still in the UK, so I'm on my own.

Any help apreciated.

I'm 61 in a few days time, I had to give up work in October last year due to health problems, so I thought I wouled come to Thailand and live in the sun for a bit.

Regards to all, Peter

12. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

9.2 work fine for me so far, the only problem is that the bug/glitch/something that was in 8.11/12 that caused the screen to show nothing but blackness after/before getting in a game, re appears. I change the input with the controller of the TV and it fixes itself. It feels like it doesn't give the proper singal to the tv or something when changing resolution, or something. (yeah I know great help lol)

13. kn00tcn

kn00tcn New Member

wow i thought that blank out issue was from my old manu date (aka firmware) of my benq and/or using microsoft monitor drivers, & rivatuner says it has incorrect EDID info

peter, do the mobility drivers on game.amd.com work? i dont trust windows update for non microsoft drivers

14. MIG-31

A little offtopic:

Its good to see the 4870 works for some.I am always aware that all drivers act differently on different setups.But no matter what options i have altered within the cp,Crysis including Warhead performs like im trying to push a on-board GPU to the Max.

With a Asus P5K Deluxe Mobo (Crossfire ready) and with the latest Bios update released earlier this week i would of thought the 4870 Card (Sapphire) given to me by the DH Board (And i do appreciate it),This should of been a match made in Heaven.

No matter what driver i have tried the performance has not altered.. Even though it's a great card with the games that work..I have never once had a GC that has given me so much problems.

Im just sorry to say im switching back to Nvidia.. The only mistake i have made was selling my XFX9600GT to early..

Im now waiting for my 1gb 9800GT card to arrive.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  15. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Mig-31, if you want you can send me Crysis to have a look if there is something wrong with it :p

BTW, I played Rome Total War and the performance was a bit, not great with my 4870X2 and the mini map was flickering like crazy. I disabled the Catalyst AI and both problems solved.

16. MIG-31

HeHe.. Nice Try for a Freebie :D

17. Businessman07

Businessman07 New Member

I get the Blank out also after gaming. I also got it once after using 3d mark vantage.

18. Ariatti

Ariatti New Member

Hello guys, literally few days ago I have bought new laptop. There is Ati Radeon 3470 HD. Yesterday I tried to install these new drivers, using the mobility modder. Howerver, when I try to install the driver, at the end of install it says the instalation was finished but some problem occured - that it failed to update graphics card driver. Does anyone know where the problem could be?

I'm using Win Vista Home premium 32bit.