ATI Catalyst™ Display Driver 9.4 (Win XP)

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by MIG-31, Apr 8, 2009.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Resolved Issues for the Windows XP Operating System

This section provides information on resolved issues in this release of the ATI Catalyst™ Software Suite for Windows XP. These include:
    The Compute Abstraction Layer (CAL) driver now functions properly under Windows XP
    Overlay Theatre Mode display no longer corrupt after enabling 3D screen saver
    OS Display Settings no longer shows extra resolutions for Component Video

Known Issues Under the Windows XP Operating System

The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced under
    the Windows XP operating system in the latest version of Catalyst™. These include:

Transcoding a VOB DVD file (18min source file) results in 2.27min output file
    Transcoding falls back to CPU after transcoding to DVD/MPEG2 multiple times inXP

Download: 32 Bit / 64 Bit

2. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

This is the first of the HD2xxx / 3xxx / 4xxx driver series.

For 95x0 and up, Xnnn, X1k series, use Catalyst 9.3

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

x1k official dropped....

damn

a well.. wasn't planning on fixing up any more AGP based systems (was ordering x16xx agp cards for all the AGP machines.... exceptionally cheap, and natively agp so without "capability" issues on agp sytems vs HD2xxx)

4. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  5. jandarsun8

jandarsun8 Active Member

Yeah, was asking about this in the Win 7 area when I first seen the 9.2's, just thought it was for Win 7 beta testing but looks like they are finally drawing a line on what to support.

I've got a x1950 Pro card that is still pretty functional so I'll have to keep the 9.3's around for a while.

6. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

The older cards (DirectX 9 models) may be on a 3 month cycle, according to some reports.

7. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

I'm using a x1950 pro in my dad's pc, so I was quite surprised today to see 9.4 claiming it wasn't compatible and I had to install 9.3 instead.

But I guess it's fair, if ATI focuses on drivers for the newer series and releases a compatible driver for the older ones, eg. every third month.

8. DarkFoss

DarkFoss Active Member

I just installed the 9.4 hotfix drivers and they work great with my Sapphire 3850.
    EverQuest is playing very well..I'm getting 19-22 fps in the Guild lobby with 70 players onscreen..and it's still smooth..Out in different zones grouped getting around 45-60.

Not bad for my old single core agp system..not to mention I last installed XP sp2 back in December of 2004 :p

9. Poppi

Poppi DH Admirer

I'm on board with you. With an FX60 and a Sapphire 3850, I can play 95% of any game out there with max settings, minus AA which I don't miss much at 1600x1200 @75Hz. I was actually thinking of buying a new widescreen monitor to replace my Samsung 19" CRT.

I couldn't justify even $150 for a 22" though, other then a few games which are widescreen, because the CRT is so crisp. Maybe in another year this computer will be in the family room and then I will do a total overhaul. Kudos to ATI for the 3850 AGP :cool:.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  10. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

I can't swap monitor on mine with new 9.4 drivers :(

11. DarkFoss

DarkFoss Active Member

I finally upgraded my monitor to a Viewsonic VX2260wm HDMI 1080p and just love it. I had to edit the EQ ini so I can play EQ at 1920x1080@60...

I have a AMD 3700 cpu running at stock 2.2g..I know the card is overkill but no way I'm going to e-bay and buy a better cpu for this old socket 939 board.. Like you I need to wait 1 more year before building myself a new rig.

Good thing is Windows 7 should arrive around then too..I don't much care for Vista(runs on my wife's laptop) So far I like they way Win7 feels can't wait for RC1..

12. Poppi

Poppi DH Admirer

That's a nice monitor. Makes me want to accidently spill a tumbler of water inside my monitor's grill. Tried windows 7. Absolutely loved it.

Ended up cloning my XP HDD on the HDD W7 was on because there are a lot of games my son is playing right now and I don't want to spend 2 weeks reinstalling everything in case the XP HDD decides to take a dump. Yep, a full upgrade, including W7 will be in order in about a year or so.

13. bluearcher

bluearcher New Member

Great to hear that - am about to replace a Radeon 9700 in my Dad's XP PC with a new Sapphire 3850 AGP and had heard the driver supplied with it could be a problem so was wondering what to do. Have located and downloaded the 9.4 catalyst hotfix driver to use instead. Thanks

14. havvesom

havvesom New Member

thank
    Tried windows 7. Absolutely loved it.

15. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

I'm running the driver set that they released on 5/5/09. The 9.3s installed OK, but I had problem with the 9.4s for some reason. I did get the 9.4s installed, but had to tinker with it a bit to get them to do so.

I still have the TDR issues that I had in Vista. I'm one of the 'lucky ones' though, as all I have to do to cure it is to run the MSCONFIG/BOOT Fix. I was hoping that MS would have fixed that with WIN 7 :sigh:

As for the X1k series, I don't have one now, but I'd hope that ATI will at least do the quartely updates like they are doing for Vista. The higher end ones like the X1950 are still doing a good job for a lot of people, and there are a lot of folks that have them. It would be a shame to see ATI leave them completely out in the cold.