ATI CEO Dave Orton talks to Driver Heaven

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by HardwareHeaven, Aug 12, 2006.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Read the interview here

One of the largest mergers in Technology history will be the forthcoming AMD takeover of ATI. We spoke last week with Jon Carvill one of AMD's senior staff and today ATI CEO Dave Orton was generous enough to grant me some time to talk with him. I have had a few one on one sessions with Dave in the past and he is very passionate about the products ATI has made in his time leading the company and it would also be safe to say he is very confident with the direction this AMD/ATI merger is going to take.

Driver Heaven: Intel have always worked closely with ATI, do you feel this merger will damage that relationship?

Dave Orton: Intel is a smart company, and will do what is best for their customers. If we continue to provide compelling graphics solutions, I am sure we will continue to have a very good relationship with Intel. We have no intention of closing the door on our customers or to Intel. We have developed a 20-year relationship with Intel and we want to continue to support Intel and the market with our GPUs.

2. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Cursed they are still thinking about killing the ATI brand.

3. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

nice read.

will be interesting to see if the CPU/GPU on the same chip ever actually emerges.

4. Just Learnin'

Just Learnin' New Member

AIW owners are laughing at this remark!

5. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

excellent job as always allan...and a big thanks to dave for takin the time out of his assuredly busy day to talk to ya :)

6. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

I enjoyed the read. Sounds like a smart guy who knows what he is doing.

7. Customgamer1

Customgamer1 Fell off the tech wagon

If they do I will be VERY mad and might have a switch to Nvidia?!?!?

It would suck but I don't see how they could toss out a very respected name ATI? It means so much to a lot of the market between gamers. If they change the name what are they going to call it? AMD Video???

8. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

interesting read for sure. i still have no real feelings on the merger yet but as they are my CPU/GPU of chooice I will still hope for the best

9. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

Very informative and cordial interview - thanks Allan and Dave. I agree that the joining of engineering expertise and "company attitudes" will be a hefty positive for AMD/ATI and their customers - including most of the hobbyists/enthusiasts/mentors here at DH.

This move should help them in the corporate, government, and education markets quite a bit - most of those have gone with Intel over the years because of perceived platform stability and supportability. AMD/ATI should be able to increase their share there in the future if their teams work hard on those issues - and I'm confident they can do it if they so choose - they both certainly have proven themselves to be thoughtful and nimble innovators.

10. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

Being able to contact, interview and report information about the industry is very important.
    I read Maximum PC magazine and read the reviews here for information...
    thanx man..

11. sc3000

sc3000 New Member

I really don't want a slow nvidia GPU. Even worse, nvidia having a monopoly