ATI / DriverHeaven Folding@Home Contest & Interview

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by HardwareHeaven, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Peter123

Peter123 New Member

It should - how to do it I can't say (as I don't have that card), but check this thread out for a full discusion on that card http://forum.folding-community.org/viewtopic.php?t=16328

edit: I read something that you have to manually set the driver to X1900XT for it work properly. Or wait a few weeks for the new version of the GPU client.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2006
  2. dgerryts

dgerryts New Member

Folding as we speak. What a great cause.

3. ocdpc

ocdpc New Member

Been folding since I first read the article....dh_ocdpc

4. werty316

werty316 BANNED

Ah crap how could I have missed this sweet comp... I guess its too late to participate?

5. Calinerti

Calinerti New Member

Not at all. Its a great thing to be doing with your spare cpu cycles anyway, but you still could be in with a chance to win! But keep doing it after the winner is announced anyway. Maybe if the ATi/DH team hit number one we'll all get rewarded with that warm glow that only saving lives can bring. Or, y'know, maybe a t-shirt. Probably nothing, but folding is cool and those doing it know it!

6. Iria

Iria New Member

Yeah, I probably ought to get more of my PCs folding ... :-(

7. GutterPunk

GutterPunk I = Greatest Dood

joined up, for as lil as im on my computer ill be getting a lot of folding done

GO GO DH!

8. deagz

deagz New Member

2 days left! If you fold 48 hours straight, you might be able to get another packet in before the deadline. I can smell the x1900 already :drool::drool:. You can send it to DH_deagz. ;);)

9. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Hey, Judas, did you ever figure out how to get the multi-GPU client to work? At first I had trouble getting it working on the X1950 Pros, but then I realized something: when I have both monitors hooked up as per the instructions to extend the desktop, Windows displays them as monitors 1 and 3. If you go by the instructions in the FAQ that would indicate you should use one client with a "-local -gpu 0" command line switch, and the other with "-local -gpu 2", however this isn't the case. The second client should still be "-local -gpu 1", or else it will quit.

Once I got that sorted out things have been running along like crazy.

10. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

;)

I haven't checked, i only run the gpu folding when i get to work for about 8 or so hours then shut it down....

And usually only 4 days outa the week.

11. Judas

Tipstaff, no i haven't gotten it working..

Disabled crossfire..

Set GPU 0 and GPU 1 or 2 or 3 with the other monitor plugged in with extended desktop results in a conflict. and automatically shuts down one client and totally freezes up the other previously running one.

12. Tipstaff

Ouch. That sounds like the client is not directing itself to use the second GPU, and instead is trying to use the same GPU that the other client is using.

Hmm.. Clients are all in seperate directories, right? Just to lay it out (you probably already know/tried this, but I may as well lay it out for anyone else wanting to try it, so please forgive the way I'm going to desribe this.. lol):

- I'm running the Multi-GPU client (THIS one) in seperate folders called F@H GPU 0, and F@H GPU 1.

- I have 2 shortcuts to each client within their respective folders. Each is setup like this: One says

"C:\F@H GPU 0\FAH5.91beta-console.exe" -local -configonly
    "C:\F@H GPU 1\FAH5.91beta-console.exe" -local -configonly

which will run the client locally for configuration, and the other

"C:\F@H GPU 0\FAH5.91beta-console.exe" -local -gpu 0
    "C:\F@H GPU 1\FAH5.91beta-console.exe" -local -gpu 1

which will run and direct each client to their respective GPUs, but each from their local folders only.

One thing I've found is that sometimes the IDs that Windows shows can get moved around. Say you look at your monitor setup, and it shows monitors 1 through 4 (1 will be active, 2-4 will be greyed out). When you connect the 2nd monitor to the other card and extend the desktop it will show up as 1, 3, 2, 4. However, one time after rebooting Windows reorganized their priority so that it showed up as 3, 1, 2, 4 (I don't know if this is a glitch in the Catalyst software, but sometimes I'll get a message from it that says it's "optimizing the displays for multi-monitor support" or some such). Windows didn't switch monitor 3 to my primary desktop monitor, but just reoranized the layout. Kinda wierd. Thing is that when you try to run the clients when it's setup this way the exact thing you described happens, and the only way to correct it is to remove the extended display option, and reenable it so that Windows puts the order back as 1, 3, 2, 4.

BTW, just incase anyone was wondering, Catalyst 6.11 drivers work just fine with the client.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  13. Judas

yeah i've checked that.... it seems to detect that it's using the right GPU for each client.. but then it conflicts on System ID or something.. i posted screenshots back a ways in the thread on how i set it up.... i'm going to try the -local again.

14. Tipstaff

BTW, don't bother loading it as a service. However, if you do, then the -local setting needs to be added manually in the registry (I think you also need to setup the -gpu x as well). Otherwise it will load each client to run on the same GPU.

Of note, for best peformance, when you setup the client have it set to use 95% of the CPU power, and have it run in LOW priority. Since it's best not to run the GPU client while gaming you are most likely going to quit the client to do that, so having it in IDLE mode is kinda useless.

One thing I've yet to try setting is for it to run large WUs, or even the advanced WUs as the cores that run on the GPU are not the same as the CPU WUs. As such I have no idea what effect those 2 settings might have.

15. Blazer

Blazer Tweeker

How will the winner be determined? will it be a randam drawing? or how many units you have processed? or your score after december 1st?

16. Tipstaff

Random draw. So, as long as you complete at least 1 work unit, and the F@H site shows it, then you're in.

17. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Here is a tip, dont bounce your laptop around :O

This morning i dropped midly my laptop on to my bed, nothing hard or anything, just a small drop. IBM's harddisk monitor application must have kicked in and locked the drive for 30 sec or so. In those 30 sec, I'm guessing FAH needed to write some data, but it couldn't, so it ended my WU before time :(

DOH!

18. Peter123

Peter123 New Member

I noticed that there is a new GPU client out (still beta).
    It now officially supports all X1600 and higher cards!
    The original GPU client will apparently expire Dec 1st.

19. Cba - Andy

Cba - Andy Got milk?

Oh bum, uve got 2 finish 1 Wu, if only i started sooner. I must of got assigned 1 of the big WU's 20000 frames and wont be done till the 2nd 11000 done :(

20. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I got one like that- it only took a couple days.. get fahmon 2.1.3 and let it load the same time as the f@h client and wait.. it will give you a different time that it will end (much sooner I would think).