Ati drivers for Xfree 4.4...

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by GUNNIX, May 3, 2004.

1. GUNNIX

GUNNIX New Member

are not yet available (!). Xfree 4.4 has been out for some time and they had at least 1,5 month time to make drivers for it. I didn't buy an Ati card to run 2D only... I heard Nvidia drivers are independant of the xfree 4. x version, but ATi drivers are not. That's ok... if drivers come fast enough... I'd like to play Enemy Territory

ATi drivers for Linux are a real shame at this moment, I hope they get better in the near future. Or Linux users will have to buy Nvidia cards instead... Which shouldn't happen, such a big company as ATi is , should strengthen their position in other OS's then Windows as well. Linux might be on around 2or5 percent of the computers, there are millions of computers , so 2to5 percent of that is a big number of computers imho. A big number of consumers...

Don't get me all wrong. ATi has already made some steps forward in their linux drivers, but there is still a lot of space to improve... they can only improve

grtz

2. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

there are several 3rd party companies that have amazing ATI linux drivers...however...they are not free...i lsot the link for it..but there's one in particular that has them for about $20 a year i think

3. GUNNIX

GUNNIX New Member

I thank you for your info, but... drivers for $20 a year?? What is that for nonsense, ATi should better try to cooperate with those companies then. And get a good deal out of it, having that company making linux drivers for ATi , who pay in return offcourse, should not be a problem. This really reminds me of when I just bought my Radeon 8500, and ATi had about the same quality of drivers in windows as in Linux now. Not good imho :p, but they improved greatly , hope for same scenario in Linux :)

4. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

Could it be related to the fact that Xfree 4.4 license is not GPL-compatible? It won't come bundled with distros, so that isn't high priority for ATI.

5. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

very good point

6. GUNNIX

GUNNIX New Member

ah that must be it, but what will come with distros in the future then ? :s