ATI HD 3650 Driver Issue

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Smack3k, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Smack3k

Smack3k New Member

Howdy, folks.

Specs:
    ATI HD 3650 1GB
    Vista 32-bit
    No Service Pack(s)

My issue is odd. A game I play which was released in 1998 works with the "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" that Windows Vista installs automatically. But when I install any supported version of ATI drivers for my card, the game/vista errors "This program has stopped working [...]". I've tried several different versions of drivers but non seem to work and the error still occurs.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

Looks like you may already sense one possible issue - go ahead and update your Vista through to SP2 - the problem may disappear right there and then. Folks complained out the wazoo about the initial Vista OS because of quirky compatibility issues, which you may run into trying to run a game from 1998.

If not, reinstall a recent driverset from AMD for your 3650 after installing the Vista service packs. The Catalyst Install Manager for the driverset should handle uninstalling the previous set just fine for you unless you've installed a third party driverset along the way that puts files in a non-standard location or creates non-standard registry entries. You can get a standalone ATI uninstaller at AMD's site if that's a concern for you.

Finally, and again after installing the service packs, you could set the executable of the game your having trouble with to run in a "compatibility mode". Find the executable of the game itself and right click on it to bring up the properties sheet for it. You'll see a Compatibility tab where you can set the run mode of the program for compatibility with several different versions of Windows going back to Windows 95 even. Check the box, select the version of Windows that your game was originally designed for, then click Apply, then click ok. See if that helps as a final step. I've had to do that for a few programs while testing Windows 7...

BTW - what game is it?

3. Smack3k

Smack3k New Member

I installed Vista SP2. Recent drivers. Tried all compatibility modes. Still crashes/errors.

The game is Rogue Spear.

I'm stumped.

4. Smack3k

Smack3k New Member

anyone?

5. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

I would guess to try the ATI Uninstall utility and start from a scratch driverset install then.

You may also find a clue to the problem by going back and reading the release notes for the game itself - there may be video issues documented in those.

6. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Another thing to try would be turning off CATALYST AI. That seems to help with some older games as well.

7. crack1up

crack1up New Member

Turning off the Catalyst AI has worked for me also on a few older games.

If all else fails, VMWare and XP Pro is the next best thing.

8. Smack3k

Smack3k New Member

Tried disabling Catalyst AI - didn't work, either.

This is crazy.

9. TheJakeOtt

TheJakeOtt New Member

Are you using the aero theme? Perhaps you could try, under compatibility tab of the object properties, disabling both visual themes and desktop composition. I've found this to be helpful with games from around that time (SFA2, BG2, as well as slightly newer games like KoTOR, and even certain graphics modes in emulators like dosbox seem to be affected by this...)