ATI Leads High-Definition Video Transition On PCs

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by MIG-31, May 26, 2005.

1. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

It seems to me that the folks at ATI haven't yet enabled the feature in their driver yet, especially for the older cards that CATALYST maker said should be able to do this in the future - hence the funky result - but at least you gave it a try!

Take a look at the news from Computex at Anand's (www.anandtech.com) site from Day 1, where they saw a running R520 with the HD stuff working. ATI seems to be represented as saying in that article that they are still working on that feature for the older cards...

2. bhanja_Trinanja

bhanja_Trinanja New Member

But that's H.264 acceleration! Divx HD acceleration works on the radeon 9600xt. wmv hd is also supposed to, since ati always said that they had completed this feature long time back and was waiting for a patch from microsoft!

3. heffeque

heffeque New Member

bhanja_Trinanja es right, more people have been having these problems since they patched wmp10 up.

Oh, and bhanja... you should realy disable fastwrites ;-)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2005
  4. bhanja_Trinanja

Fast Writes greatly reduce cpu usage during video playback, independent of graphics card assisted hardware acceleration.
    Summary of video playback performance on my rig:

Amazon 720p + Fast writes=on + legacy video renderer: 40-70% cpu, smooth playback, desktop res=1024 x 768 x 32@75hz

Amazon 720p + Fast writes=off + legacy video renderer: 60-80% cpu, smooth playback, desktop res=1024 x 768 x 32@75hz

Amazon 720p + Fast writes=on + VMR(latest hd decode patch): 85-95% cpu, jerky playback, desktop res=1024 x 768 x 32@75hz

Go fix it!

5. heffeque

heffeque New Member

it does? wow, I'm surprised since it's always said that FW makes the computer a bit unstable and no performace gain in games... I'll try with mine in a few days whenever I reboot :p

6. bhanja_Trinanja

Yes! It does.... especially on a number of AMD and AMD64 AGP systems. On my rig, it works wonders! Fast Writes never ever made my system unstable. Normally, an unstable system is a sign of hardware/firmware failure/bugs. For example, the latest bios(v1017) for my a7v333 will cause random screen garbling and 3dmark 05 crashes. I faced those issues for months! Then I downgraded my bios back to ver1014 and all problems vanished! Currently, my rig runs rock stable 24 x 7!
    Conclusion: LATEST can mean BUG-FEST![​IMG]

7. heffeque

heffeque New Member

hmm... just rebooted to check it out and... yep, FW does make video playback les CPU dependant. Thanks! ;)

8. bhanja_Trinanja

So, how are you guys doing with Catalyst 5.7 on R3xx cards when you use wmv hd acceleration?