ATi Mobility FireGL 7800 - cleaner filters to use

Discussion in 'Driver Cleaner.NET Support' started by chuckenheimer, Jul 30, 2008.

1. chuckenheimer

chuckenheimer New Member

Well, I'm happy to say I've found this place, software and members! Of course, I need help.

IBM provides the ATi drivers for my A31p and I've never ventured forth. It appears these will work if I can get the process down correctly.

My confusion is what filters to use for cleaning and what other functions are needed to clean the CABs, perform LiveUpdate, etc.

I've gotten Catalyst 8.7 for XP, extracted and "modified" the driver package in its subdirectory. Uninstalled present ATi drivers, rebooted to Safe Mode and chose a couple of filters I thought I needed and that completed.

Rebooted and ran the Setup.exe in the modified driver subdirectory and the installation stalled at the WDM install. Also, I have capture capability with Philips Video In/Out that doesn't seem to be included with the ATi drivers.

Can someone give me some advice about my needs? Thanks!

SPAMunhzkt602 (at) sneakemail (dot) com

2. Spike

Spike Driver Cleaner Maker

For removing the ati drivers you can use ATI, ATI CCC that are the only ones needed.

Do you use XP SP2 or SP3?

Did you check if there are updates for the notebook from the chipset orso?

Do you get any error by the driver install?

3. chuckenheimer

chuckenheimer New Member

OK.

XP SP3

Checking now. Never found out where to check for these so I'm confused here.

Yes, just after the driver install complete but before the WDM installation begins, and that's where it hangs with a green background WDM Setup dialog box. Zero Display Service Error.

When I forced the WDM Setup dialog box closed, I received another dialog box indicating that setup failed installation: the RPC failed. Dismissed that and the CCC and Registration started up to completion and then I was met with a dialog box asking me to reboot and said NO so I could finish this post.

I'm of the opinion that I need to install the IBM drivers to get the added capability of my hardware but am having problems doing that, too. If you might advise me how to ease myself out of the predicament I will be most appreciative.

Finally, how and when do I use CAB cleaner and LiveUpdate. Also, when do I "modify" the ATi driver subdirectory?

One more thing, I have upgraded my CPU to a 2.6GHz mobile P4-M, and added new mini-PCI wi-fi transeiver and bluetooth / modem CDC. FYI.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  4. Spike

If you want to install the ibm drivers then you need to download the drivers listed by your notebook.

Then uninstall the ATI display driver and ccc and then follow the steps of the program and after the last reboot you could install the ibm drivers.

CAB Cleaner is only needed to run that 1 time to clean the cab files. So you can do that before you start uninstalling the drivers.

Live Update is recommended to run that always before you start cleaning, because then you are sure you have the latest files.

5. cozumel

cozumel I'm dangerous but cute...

You should be able to get any available updated drivers, BIOS, other software & manuals from Lenovo Support & downloads :)

Edit:I just checked and there is a veritable array of updates available for the Thinkpad including chipset & BIOS. Updated the link above accordingly

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  6. chuckenheimer

chuckenheimer New Member

You found my hangout for almost 5 years now. <g> I'm a fanatic about updated drivers/BIOS, etc.

I recently upgraded my TP and did a whirlwind search for the newest drivers for my newest hardware. I'm about 70% through but when I found this place, I wanted to update my video drivers. ATi's drivers have always been persnickety about installing correctly and leaving baggage when uninstalled. That's why I wanted to try a new approach with the software here and the newest ATi release for my video adapter. The addition of the video in capture is something not on most of the TPs and I've been pretty much on my own to get things right. So, I generally leave things alone in this regard.

I get an opsys glitch repeatedly over the years which is why I don't remove ATi's drivers, I never get them to successfully complete their installation and that bothers me enough to reformat and reinstall, but that suits me because I find new software that does a better job and install that while trying to prune the unused stuff.

Anyway, I suppose I'll have to do like everywhere is I find a place to learn something new and read, read, read the forum. I get too anxious and greedy to have something new and lack the patience to take my time initially. Soon I'm going to be using these new Catalyst drivers.

Anyway, I was hoping someone around here would still have the FireGL 7800 in use and have some experience to share. We'll see.

Thanks again!

7. chuckenheimer

chuckenheimer New Member

The ThinkPad version of the ATi drivers for my GL7800 contain a different package than any of the ATi distributions. I have a capture capability which uses a Phlips WDM video decoder that gets set up during the install of the IBM distro. And that software uninstaller removes that package. Furthermore, the properties notebook has additional tabs for OpenGL and Direct3D with adjustments.
    I've been experimenting with the installation of the separate packages but am not sure if the installation is a mix of the two or what. I'd like to speak with someone who has hands on experience with this exact hardware and the IBM package to assist in being able to install the new ATi drivers without mismatching the installation.

8. chuckenheimer

chuckenheimer New Member

Anyone know about this?

9. Spike

Hi,

i have no experience with video capturing. Best would be to try it in the notebook or ati forum here.