ATI Mobility Radeon x1600 Problems Help! Ati2dvag.dll fail/BSOD/Desktop Crashing

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Hondo88, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hondo88

Hondo88 New Member

Hi, I have already also posted in the ATI Mobility Radeon forums, but so far no one has had any suggestions for me, and I figured since my last attempt to resolve the issue has me now set-up with Omega Drivers maybe someone here could help me with this problem.

-The Problem in Short-
    Was getting BSOD and crashing to desktop other time
    With Omega Drivers now only crashing to desktop, BSOD SEEMS to have been eliminated
    -Possibly was thinking either the second RAM stick I installed isn't functioning properly [since I only crash to desktop/was BSOD in instances of high demands on the system. I.e. rendering software like Inventor, or gaming.] or I need to tweak Omega settings.

-The Long Version-

I have a HP Compaq nx9420 Buisiness Laptop which has run without really much trouble for the last few years. I had a defective fan which HP replaced under warrenty, and got two pieces of nasty malware which required me to wipe the drive and start fresh. But recently after I installed XP SP3 I startd having issues with my card. Some games and programs will randomly crash to my desktop [and the desktop resolution will not reset until I restart], or during really bad times I will get a blue screen which tells me the file ati2dvag.dll failed and was stuck in an infinite loop and the computer is now performing a memory dump.

I have looked at all kinds of solutions for this, I used old drivers - didn't work, I used new drivers - didn't work, I tried doing the PCI to PCI bridge solution I read on some forums - didn't work, and I even just cleaned out the inside of my laptop and replaced te heatsink paste to make sure it wasn't an overheating problem - also didn't work. My next step was that I was going to try omega drivers, or another set of ATI drivers I found which are newer than the ones I tried from autoupdate, and from HP's website.

But before I tried these I saw on the omega drivers website a link to these forums and decided to post here to see i maybe anyone else had this problem and was able to resolve it. I'd appreciate any and all advice! Thank you.

Also some specs that may help with anyone who has a possible solution for me.

The computer is an HP Compaq nx9420, 2GB of RAM [two sticks, one was added around Febuary of this year], 1.83GHz Intel Processor, and the OS is Microsoft Windows XP Home/Professional 64 Bit SP3, with an Ati Mobility Radeon x1600 Graphics Card [256MB of memory], Directx 9.0c. Also of note that on a fresh reboot the computer will pass all tests in dxdiag, but after a crash to desktop will fail most of the tests.

*Update For Anyone Who May Have Help For Me*

I tried the new set of ATI drivers I found and they are not compatible with my notebook, and I installed the Omega Drivers which seems to have eliminated my blue screen, but now I occasionally crash to my desktop instead of getting BSOD. Any suggestions on a further tweak of the Omega Drivers, or some other solution that could eliminate this crashing completely?

Current Configuration: Omega Drivers [Latest Version] installed, with the PCI-to-PCI bridge in place for the, I believe, AGP to PCI driver. [I tried with and without the PCI-to-PCI Bridge and neither worked better than the other.

The only other thing I thought it could be is possibly that part of the problem might be related to the second stick of RAM I installed since the failure is only when the system is being taxed; and since the BSOD has been eliminated [so far?] by installing the Omega Drivers, that possibly there is a compatability issue when the system dips into the second RAM stick since [I believe] the RAM is accessed sequentially and my computer accesses the primary RAM slot first. Any suggestions, or related experiences, or links to solutions I missed would be appreciated.

-John H.

2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.