ATI mobility x600 driver causing sys failure

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by AndrewP, Nov 30, 2008.

1. AndrewP

AndrewP New Member

So I have an HP zd8000 notebook, I have had it for 4 years and has been running fine, but one day out of the blue windows (XP) will not reach the login screen, goes black followed by a blue screen and a restart with the error code claiming an infinite cycle and the ati2dvag error.

I did a fresh reformat on the computer and everything worked fine until I downloaded the new driver for my mobility x600 256mb, I tried everything I could think of. I DLed mobility modder, modded catalyst but had the same problem after the restart. Black screen. Uninstalled the driver and will boot again. What is going on with my video card? did it get damaged? am I not updating something properly? Is there something I am forgetting to do? heres my process

-start windows without Display driver
    -install display driver (latest catalyst (modded with mobility modder)/Latest Omega driver)
    -restart computer to take effect
    -windows load screen takes longer than usual goes black and I get an error screen (blue screen of death) with ati2dvag code
    -turn off computer
    -start in safe mode
    -uninstal driver from hardware panel and add/remove programs.
    -restart windows
    -try again...

I just can't figure this out.
    the driver worked for years and one day it decided not to.

Does anyone have advice?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  2. AndrewP

AndrewP New Member

please let me know if I am missing anything, at this point and have a fresh computer, no updated drivers, no windows up dates, just imagine a completly virgin machine.

please help me get my video card to run properly.

3. SieRobin

SieRobin New Member

Start your computer in safe mode with networking enabled and download Driver Cleaner. Uninstall the recent drivers and run Driver Cleaner. After that, restart and install new drivers.

See if that does the trick, I believe ati2dvag.dll doesn't delete when you uninstall drivers, so it could be a messed up file.

4. Fujitsu Lifebook N6210

Fujitsu Lifebook N6210 New Member

Hi,
    I'm having the same problem with my Fujitsu Lifebook N6210 with a Mobility Radeon X600 driver. Last year, I did that stuff SieRobin listed, with DriverCleaner and all. The problem stopped, except for one instance after. Now, a year later the problem's back more than ever. I can only run my computer in Safe Mode, and the screen is continuously distorted by vertical dot-patterns. There's no sign in letting up. I found this site, describing the problem exactly, though it's not for my notebook http://support.fujitsu-siemens.com/com/support/bios_update.html. My BIOS is updated, and the instructions were more preventative. Maybe there's an issue with the fan not doing a good job, but my fan is running and the temperature in the room if around 50 degrees F. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the physical graphics card.
    Should I replace the card with a new one myself? Can I have a local computer doctor do it? Or do I need to ship this and pay Fujitsu to do it?
    Do you think the card itself is the issue, or still problems with the driver?

I would appreciate any help, or perhaps a referal to someone on this site who can help. I am taking four online classes and this is an urgent problem.

5. kn00tcn

kn00tcn New Member

distorted & with dot patterns? does that happen in the bios or boot screen, basically anywhere outside windows?

6. Fujitsu Lifebook N6210

yes, everywhere.

7. Fujitsu Lifebook N6210

Dot/grid pattern like thin, verticle, color-distorted bar codes even when in BIOS. It stopped for ten minutes the other day, and I installed the appropriate driver. I was adjusting the resolution to fit my screen properly, and then, again. It's back. It doesn't matter if it's 40 degrees or 60 degrees in the house, I still have the issue. It won't let me go into stand-by mode either...maybe that has something to do with not having a driver installed right now. Any help would be appreciated. I'm printing out my 700 pg. text book ten pages at a time at the moment.

8. Crickee

Crickee New Member

Try use Drive Sweeper and delete.
    For X600 the best Catalyst would be 7.4...

9. Fujitsu Lifebook N6210

This morning my computer started up without the pattern, so I took the initiative to download driver sweeper and Catalyst 7.4, as suggested. So far, it hasn't crashed and the screen looks great!

10. Crickee

Crickee New Member

Glad That I helped... - -

11. Fujitsu Lifebook N6210

Once again, the problem is back. I noticed it usually starts when I'm scrolling up or down on a website. If anyone has a clue, it would be much appreciated. Could this possibly be a hardware error? Or is this kind of thing strictly a driver software error? After uninstaling ATI software, then running drivercleaner and driversweeper, I still have distortion on my screen (yellow, dotted verticle lines) before I go to download a fresh driver. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  12. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

It is sounding to me like this is a hardware error. considering that you are having problems pre Windows (in BIOs etc) this could very well be the case. Other than reinstalling and cleaning everything from your computer there isn't much else i can reccommend.

In regards to this question the simple answer is no. The only way you are going to be able to fix this is most likely to just send it in to Fujitsu. Depending on the setup of your hardware this graphics chip could be soldered straight to the board or maybe at the best case scenario its in a slot similar to a miniature PCI. However, the likely hood of you or a "computer guy" at a shop etc being able to safley remove this is slim. In addition, even if you remove the chip I cannot tell you of any place that you would be able to go in order to actually get another mobile GFX solution of any type.

Like I said the short answer to this equation is find a number for Fujitsu:sigh: