ATI Proprietary Linux x86 Drivers for Linux 8.14.13 (June 9 2005) discussion

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by redsolar, Jun 9, 2005.

1. redsolar

redsolar Off duty

ATI released a new Driver today (June 9, 2005) version 8.14.3. Here is a scoop on what's new:

New Proprietary Driver Installer

The new ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Installer makes installing the ATI Linux driver a much simpler and user friendly experience. The installer provides for automatic and custom driver installations. Further, the ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Installer provides an option to generate distribution specific driver packages.

New Installer notes

New ATI Hardware Product Support

This release of the ATI Proprietary Linux driver introduces support for the following ATI Products:

• Radeon® X800 XL
    • Radeon® X850 PRO
    • Radeon® X850 XT
    • Radeon® X850 XT Platinum Edition
    Linux 2.6.11 Kernel Support

This release of the ATI Proprietary Linux driver introduces driver compatibly with Linux 2.6.11 kernel.

Minimum System Requirements

Before attempting to install the ATI Proprietary Linux driver, the following software must be installed:

• POSIX Shared Memory (/dev/shm) support is required for 3D apps
    • glibc version 2.2 or 2.3
    • Linux kernel 2.4 or higher
    • XFree86 version 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, or X.org 6.8
    Issues Resolved This section provides information on issues that have been resolved with the latest release of the ATI Proprietary Linux driver. This includes the following:

• Quad Buffer Stereo (QBS) support is now working for all ATI FireGL™ products that support QBS
    • ATI FireGL X3 products now support dual-link enabled display devices
    • The ATI Proprietary Linux driver Driver now falls back to a single-link mode if the card or connector does not support dual-link mode
    • The DGA and RandR X Server extensions are now capable of loading simultaneously when using the ATI Proprietary Linux driver
    • Intermittent error messages such as, [fglrx:firegl_alloc_bufs] *ERROR* Failed to create buffer queue (-12) and similar, no longer appear in the kernel output
    • OpenGL based applications that have common symbol names to that of the libGL library no longer experience intermittent erratic behavior
    • Applications using certain OpenGL calls such as, glTexSubImage no longer results in a driver memory leak
    • When running in clone mode, the X server no longer crashes with a segmentation fault if the mouse is moved during a mode switch
    Full Release Notes

Rate The Drivers Here

Rate the Installer here

Discuss the Installer here

Download information for major Distros

Note, this is a discussion thread :).

Last edited: Jun 9, 2005
  2. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

LIES!!!!!

Code:
    ioctl32(doom.x86:7572): Unknown cmd fd(12) cmd(408c6445){00} arg(ffffbb50) on /dev/dri/card0
    ioctl32(doom.x86:7572): Unknown cmd fd(12) cmd(408c6445){00} arg(ffffbb50) on /dev/dri/card0
    [fglrx:firegl_rmmap] *ERROR* map 0xffff81003cf6a598 still in use (map_count=1)
    [fglrx:firegl_free_buffer_queue] *ERROR* buffer qeue 0xffff81003cf6a580 still mapped
    [fglrx:firegl_free_buffer_queue] *ERROR* buffer qeue 0xffff81003cf6a580 still mapped

3. HeLLfire

HeLLfire New Member

Hmz, looks pretty good. ;)
    Dunno about the kernel output, but i can confirm that
    "The DGA and RandR X Server extensions are now capable of loading simultaneously when using the ATI Proprietary Linux driver"
    is good to go.

Keep up the good work :)

4. Kombatant

Kombatant Active Member

Btw... a tip for Ubuntu users (which is blatantly obvious, but hey...) : At least on my setup, Ubuntu had installed the linux-kernel-headers, which is version 2.5.99-test7-bk-17. So I installed the proper headers for the kernel version I use (so for instance if you have linux-image-2.6.10-5-386 you should install linux-headers-2.6.10-5-386). Also make sure that the /usr/src/linux symlink exists. If it doesn't, load up the Terninal and type:
    Code:
    cd /usr/src
     ln -s linux-headers-2.6.10-5/ linux
    (with linux-headers-2.6.10-5 varying depending on the header version you have installed)

5. x0ph3r

x0ph3r New Member

The drivers seem to be improving. :)

The control panel i a good thing, though it'll have more features in the future, right?
    The installer, well, good. It needs to be able to make packages for other distros than RH though...

Thanks , and keep it up.

6. jec0s

jec0s New Member

:bleh:..

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  7. Kombatant

Kombatant Active Member

That wasn't necessary you know... there are three threads here which serve different purposes. This is the thread to discuss the driver, the other is just to rate it and the third one copes with the new installer.

8. =MaxiM=

=MaxiM= New Member

Hi, i'm new here since i switched to Linux about 3 weeks ago.
    Guess how i found this forum? I was looking for some answers on google because i couldn't believe ATI acts so bad under Linux environtment - major dissapointment.
    From what i've read here looks like ATI drives are improving - that still gives me hope, because just yesterday i stated that i wont buy anything from this company from now on.
    I bought my 9600XT quite some time ago and didn't have any issues with it under windows for a very long time. Lately windows drivers were going downhill, but that's ok, i decided to dump windows. When i first launched Doom3 under Linux i was terrified, i'm noob so i thought this is my fault, but no, that would be too good.
    To make long story short: under windows i played Doom3 with default High Quality setting - it was great, 45FPS in timedemo, almost flawless in-game.
    Right now D3 runs at half the speed on lowest settings - quite a big difference, don't you think?
    This is completely unacceptable and right now i'm feeling cheated. Everywhere i looked for a good gfx card for Linux i saw: nVidia, always nVidia.
    It pains me because i'm a D3 mapper and that means i will have to switch to XP on regular basis (yes, i run dual system - you can't blame me for being cautious ;) ) and i really, really hate to do that. My goal is to eliminate the need for windows completely in time and ATI doesn't help me to achieve this goal.

To sum it up: i'm dissapointed and i feel bitter towards ATI, but since there's a slight chance of improvement i will hold my hopes for a bit longer before going back to nVidia.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2005
  9. LinuxWarrior

LinuxWarrior New Member

I still have a lot of these messages in kernel:

Code:
    [fglrx:firegl_rmmap] *ERROR* map 0xe1f6ce30 still in use (map_count=1)
    [fglrx:firegl_free_buffer_queue] *ERROR* buffer qeue 0xe1f6ce20 still mapped

I'm using Gentoo with ati-drivers-8.14.13-r1 and vanilla-sources-2.6.11.11 :S

I can't wait to get my hands on the latest dri cvs...