ATI R600 : What It Means To Us @ TechARP

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by MIG-31, Apr 26, 2007.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Source: TechARP
    The R600 is late, very late. The only ones not admitting that are AMD and ATI. It's a repeat of the delays that plagued the R5XX. By missing ATI's own time-to-market schedule, it not ony screwed up upgrade plans for many users, it also gave NVIDIA the opportunity to consolidate their position as the only graphics chip company with a DirectX 10 GPU.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

oh please... would some of these idiots shutup about how much a mistake AMD/ATI have made,

Nvidia may have the only dx10 compliant GPU out, but it's one thing to have it, and another to actually use it, first off, no games really that support DX10, and the other is that they can't get a fully working DX10 compliant driver working for the masses.

YES ATI is exceptionally late, yes it sucks, but we'll still see how things pan out oventually.

3. dipstick

dipstick New Member

I think you are misunderstanding the situation. DX10 means nothing right now but the fact remains that nVidia has has zero competition in today's [DX9] games for a very long time. It's not right to just say "well there are no DX10 games anyway" because there are plenty of DX9 games that could have used some ATi loving all these months.

4. Judas

Yes i'm aware of that,

But it's been said so many times, why point out the obvious.

I would have loved to have the r600 sitting here ready running the latest and greatest....

5. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

You can't ignore that giving your only real competetor 6 months go on your market share is a huge mistake. Especially for a company that is newly acquired, with cash flow issues, and losing market share.

You also can't ignore the nature of the enthusiast community. I'd imagine most people who bought the 8800 series, did so knowing there wasn't a game out there that used it. They also did it knowing that it was by far the fastest card on the market.

I've got nothing against ATI. Personally, from their support and driver quality alone, they blow Nvidia out of the water. That said, saying the way they handled the launch of the r600 isn't a mistake (even, it seems from your response, saying it was a good decision), really needs to be re-examined. The fanboy aside, if it was my company, and my stockholders profits on the line, heads would roll. This is really two major releases in a row where the ball has been dropped. Those sort of decisions can really hurt a company in the long run.

6. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Won't argue with that:)

7. Judas

I agree, ATI has really screwed up in the whole multiple delays across multiple products, several refreshes of the same thing without much of any serious improvements worth REALLY talking about.

I wouldn't call myself a fanboi, i just go to whatever WORKS without much of any if not ANY issues at all, and something i can get fixes for quickly. Reason i find ATI to be the most reliable to build with, when it comes to Nvidia's lineup, i cringe every time someone wants to order one through my shop, knowing full well that the first sign of trouble, i usually will end up getting the flak for it.

8. mike2h

mike2h New Member

hopefully some of you read the whole article before commenting on it...
    was actually informative, at least for me.
    i also agree with him on the die shrink. wouldnt go near this card until they go to 65 - for many reasons. i think 1st adopters(as usual;)) are not going to be happy... especially a couple of months down the road.
    does any body know if that hd crap is going to be on most cards or just on 'aiw' vers?

9. Sonata

Sonata New Member

10. mike2h

mike2h New Member

while current vista drivers for nv are much better by all reports(i have no experience there yet) i was underwhelmed by 7.3 & 7.4 in vista. finally got 7.4 installed but it was a pain. i think they r probably on an even playing field right now as far as vista goes, though maybe somebody that actually has an sli setup & vista could comment on that aspect.
    & considering that ati will be dealing with new architecture(like nv with 8800) i would wait & see before i start making to making to many claims..
    iether way the video card market is going to be fun over the next couple of months. especially when ati comes out with their 65nm part.

11. GutterPunk

GutterPunk I = Greatest Dood

LOL
    It has been reported in many news cases... yahoo, tech arp and many others... yet only 43 posts... that is 20 more since the news articles hit.
    Doubt it will go through, makes me giggle. Class action lawsuits are crap and only help 1 group of people out... LAWYERS.

12. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

It's not just DX10 support. Since the 8800 were released, AMD/ATI has nothing to even come close in terms of performance for DX9 games.
    And I don't see what is wrong with mentioning again and again that AMD is very late.

13. GutterPunk

GutterPunk I = Greatest Dood

Anyways, why the heck is there defending... and arguing, when the article isn't even really provacative. It states facts, makes good points, in fact it is a bit supportive of amd's r600 + hdmi. IMO, y'all jump on any hint of ati/amd being put down, and it makes me giggle.
    I loved the read

14. MechaMorph

MechaMorph New Member

Personally I'd rather see a product be late but be stable and useful instead of the fuster cluck that the 8800 series has been especially under Vista.

If it's late to market but offers superior performance and/or stability then it only leads to a price war which is better for us as consumers. I've never understood why people want to bash one company or another for being late or for falling behind the other for a little while.

It's that type of competition that forces companies to further technology and make things better. If ATI hadn't brought us the Radeon 9700 Pro a few years back and backed it up with solid drivers through Catalyst then NV wouldn't have been forced to scramble about and bring out their wonderfully crappy GF FX series to try to compete. NV realized their mistake, took a step back and once again brought quality hardware to consumers.

This time is was ATI's turn to drop the ball and play catch up. I think they're on the right track but only time will tell. If either NV or ATI somehow ended up going under (will never happen) then as consumers we would pretty much be screwed because of lack of competition.

-MM