ATI Radeon 9550 Driver (Please help)

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by joshlim.718, Dec 12, 2008.

1. joshlim.718

joshlim.718 New Member

Hello guys,

This is my first time/post so nice to meet you all! =)

I'll try to be as detailed as possible so please pardon the lengthy explanation.

I used to be on an old driver for my ATI Radeon 9550 but recently after I updated the drivers I've been having choking/spike issues in game of counter strike. (Catalystâ„¢ 8.12 from ATI's website)

I then tried to install an older version of 7.11 catalyst which makes things slightly better but still not playable at all. I did the install and uninstallation according to TweakXP.com - How to uninstall Radeon drivers in Windows XP (I was able to do most things except deleting some ati dlls which gaves me an error saying I can't delete it)

I've gone through quite some forums and articles and hear that new drivers aren't particularly good for games like counter strike. Which I found out most ppl mention Ati Catalyst 3.8 version although old are the most suitable driver for counter strike.

I didn't have much luck finding Catalyst 3.8 so I went for Omega Drivers instead. I downloaded this (Radeon Omega Driver Downloads) Radeon Omega Driver 2.6.22 which it says is using Catalyst 3.8. Again I did the uninstallation according to tweakxp article and restarted my system.

Upon installing the Omega driver 2.6.22 it says "Video Driver not found" and setup my standard VGA driver before running setup. I tried both Normal and Softmod which ended up with the same result. I went to check on my device and its working properly

Here are screenshots of my graphic card properties and other stuff. Please check
    http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/2480/driverscreenshothe9.jpg
    http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/8907/driverscreenshot1gj4.jpg

I hope you guys can advice me on where I can get the ideal driver(older version, probably Catalyst 3.8?) for my graphic card and maybe I'm not doing something right here.

Thanks for reading my really lengthy explanation. Hope you guys can help me out..

Edit: Oh btw I also clean up my registry and everything. It must be the new graphic driver as well because before the "update" of my driver I never had such problems

Cheers
    Josh

2. PandaZ3

PandaZ3 Active Member

I would just try the latest from ATI again, you may not have gotten a good download.

I would try a few things first. Download AdAware (Free version) and get the updates for it and scan your computer (Look at all the tabs before you quit the program.

Go to start/programs/accessories/system tools/disk cleanup and clean that up

Then

Start/programs/accessories/system tools/disk defragmenter and defrag your hard drive

Then try the latest drivers again

3. SieRobin

SieRobin New Member

You can't delete the files while they're in access by Windows.. naturally.

Therefore, you have to start your computer in Safe Mode. I'd also suggest getting Driver Cleaner and while in safe mode run Driver Cleaner and it will delete all of those files for you by just selecting "ATI."

After you've done that, restart and install the drivers you want, in this case the Omega's based upon Cat 3.8. Good luck.

4. sterben

sterben New Member

Safe mode, driver cleaner. Install.

Simplifying what Robin is saying. :)

5. PandaZ3

PandaZ3 Active Member

Here's where you get Driver Cleaner ....It's not free, but it is inexpensive and works well