ATI Radeon HD5650 Problem! Help

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Ultra Male, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

I have a Toshiba Satellite L655-1HC Notebook and the Display drivers from Toshiba are ancient: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 Driver v8.723.2

So I downloaded updated drivers from this site which are the Catalyst 11.2 and they installed a driver with the version number of 8.920.0.0 which is obviously newer than the Toshiba one that is on their website but my problem didn't go away. and I did this driver installation after a complete Format just to ensure that nothing conflicts

Here is the problem

When I am playing Solitaire, when I am flipping through the cards, the screen one flash for a split second and the computer would hang during that time, then it would resume normally, until I flip the next card, this happens randomly but very often which is driving me nuts.

Also, when I am in Firefox, if I open a new tab, sometimes I would get that same flashing/pause effect again

If I disable the Dekstop Windows Session Manager (which disables Aero) the problem is gone and my notebook seems much snapier but judging from the specs of my notebook, I don't think that it is lacking the power needed to run AERO smoothly.

Here are my specs:

TOSHIBA SATELLITE L655-1HC

• Intel Core i5 M 480 @ 2.67 / 2.93 GHz.
    • 8 GB DDR3 RAM
    • ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650 1 GB
    • 15.6" Toshiba TruBrite® HD TFT display
    • Hitachi 500 GB HDD (7200 RPM)
    • Windows 7 Professional (x64)

I am stuck as the drivers from the AMD website will NOT install on my notebook, thank god this site offers updated drivers that work but it didn't help.

What do you guys suggest me to do? I didn't play with the ATI Driver settings, is there something that I need to set there that could help remedy this problem? Or is there a way to get an even newer driver perhaps?

Thanks for reading