Ati Sli?

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Hate_Bot, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Hate_Bot

Hate_Bot New Member

Are there any expected plans for ATI to release there own SLI?

If so, when can w expect that?

Also, any canadian stores with the X800XL would be gr8

2. MNDS

MNDS New Member

I really hope ATi offers something to this effect. I think itd be great honestly. Im not sure if youre aware but they did offer a produt years ago before their drivers were as refined as they are now, that featured technology to run dual gpu's. Back then they called it AFR (Alternatre Frame Rendering) if im not mistaken. My dad owned one at the time, I was tech savvy but not as much so as I am now so I couldnt tell you specifics and/or if their new cards have changed from it. As far as I understood (this was years ago keep in mind and i may be incorrect) is gpu1 rendered frame 1, gpu2 rendered frame 2 and so on). So basically every other frame was rendered by the opposite gpu, and as one frame was rendered the next was already done or in the process of being rendered already :) Kind of a neat concept imo, Id like to see a revised version of this technology appear on a new ATi card honestly. Hopefully we'll hear something about this soon :)

3. Hate_Bot

Hate_Bot New Member

Ya I know, Voodoo offered it, My dad had it in his system years ago.

4. blackdog

blackdog Active Member

That card was the Rage Fury Maxx

5. MNDS

MNDS New Member

Same here, we had the Voodoo2's as well, although the method for rendering was totally different. SLI was every other line i think, which may or may not have been more efficient, but 3dfx seemed to have it perfected more or less.

6. blackdog

blackdog Active Member

Nvidia took over 3dfx, where do you think the technology came from. Nvidia has just brought it up again with the emergence of PCIe.

7. MNDS

MNDS New Member

Remember its still slightly different than 3dfx method of SLI... 3DFX did alternating lines where nvidia's method is quite different. SLI from 3DFX was scan line interleave where Nvidia's is Scalable Link Interface. Apparently Nvidia's SLI method renders different portions of the screen instead of 3dfx method of alternating lines. So while the core idea for the technology is similar, the actual algorithm is quite different :)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  8. Rokkk

Rokkk Hanging around

9. MNDS

MNDS New Member

Sounds interesting, nice clocks on that X800XT Rokkk, thats got to be pretty quick :)