ATI2EVXX.EXE Running twice? (Omega's 2.4.96c)

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Skillz, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Skillz

Skillz New Member

I discovered in my processes list that ATI2EVXX.EXE is running twice?
    They both take aroung 2MB of memory.

I know the file is used for the ATI Hotkey Poller service.

When I set the ATI Hotkey Poller service not to start automaticly, reboot my notebook,
    and start the service manually after I logged on, there's only one ATI2EVXX.EXE running.

I read on another thread that ATI2EVXX.EXE is also used with VPU Recover,
    but if I turn this off and set ATI2EVXX.EXE to start Automaticly,
    I still get 2 running ATI2EVXX.EXE's...

I really want to use the ATI Hotkey Poller service, because I use my Notebook with
    an external Display/TV.

2. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

It is normal since 3.8 because of the VPU Recover feature. Put the "ATI Hotkey Poller" service to Disabled only if you don't need neither hotkey polling nor VPU Recover. I suppose they will find a prettier solution in the future, but that's how it is for now. So you'll probably just have to sacrifice 2MB of RAM.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2003
  3. racingx

racingx New Member

Actually I think one of them is for the Ati Hotkey feature and the other is for the Overdrive feature if your card supports it. I dont think it has anything to do with the VPU recover feature because if you disable it in services.msc the overdrive feature dissapears from the CP but the VPU recover option does not. Please if I am wrong someone pls explain.

4. Skillz

Skillz New Member

Hmmm...

@MKK: Then why do I only get one ATI2EVXX.EXE when I have VPU Recover enabled
    and start the ATI Hotkey Poller service manually after I log on to windows?

@RACINX: Overdrive? I have no idea what that is. Does a mobility 7500 (64mb) support Overdrive?
    How can I see if Overdrive is running?

5. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I don't expect that checkbox saying "Enable VPU Recover" to do anything unless the service is left to start on its own as it is by default. I don't know to an absolute certainty but I'm fairly confident since it's just a settings checkbox and nothing more. I don't know of a tool that can verify whether VPU Recover is really active or not, but that would be the only way to know. If you do not need it more than you need those 2MB RAM then do as you do now and manually start the service after Windows has booted up to get the hotkeys.

6. Skillz

Skillz New Member

It's just annoying :)

Look, I know it's just 2 MB and it's not the end of the world,
    but I like to know what's running in the background.

And to start the ATI Hotkey Poller everytime manually...c'mon now :)

I was just thinking that maybe it's a bug or something
    and by letting the people know here on DH,
    something can be done about it.

Maybe the next release won't have this "problem" anymore
    and I will be happy again :) (Like I'm not happy right now :))

7. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I just guessed that maybe that notebook could be really cramped on RAM like some are. :D I do feel the same about keeping track of the resources though, and even if I have it all turned off it it's mildly irritating that they require two instances of the same service to be active. Since it's simply not a pretty solution I expect that they are looking into alternatives, but I think I read a representative saying that it would stay the same for a while at least as there were a lot of other more important things to work on.

I also suspect that somewhere on the net there might well be a little tool that can start services automatically.

8. EvilTypeGuy

EvilTypeGuy New Member

Re: It's just annoying :)

It's not a bug. Terry Makedon of ATi has already stated that the two processes are there because of VPU Recover, regardless of whether or not it's enabled. So it's perfectly normal for them to show up. He also stated that the two of them being there really had no significant negative impact, although they were trying to ensure that startup delays remained low.