Audigy 1 Gamer Squeal Lockup

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Renegade, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Hmm interesting...

I've seen quite a few Dells systems with meager power supplies in them. Renegade you might want to check the wattage on your supply.

2. Renegade

Renegade New Member

ok thanks, heh... how would i go about doing this? i have no idea how to increase the power supply...

3. ajm786

ajm786 New Member

You gotta buy a new one... :hmm:

4. Necrosis

Check around your PS for a label and see what the wattage is on it. A friend of mine only had a 200 Watt. in her's. I was quite appalled.

5. Renegade

Renegade New Member

ok i will look and see what i can find...

6. Renegade

Renegade New Member

ok after talking with my uncle he explained some of the power things to me, based on how wall outlets work etc... i then checked the system specs in the manual dell sent with the system and it is indeed 200W :/

so rather then dump money into another sound card, i will first buy a new power supply... do you have any recommendations on which one i should look for? or something specific feature wise that it needs to include?

7. DallasStar

DallasStar Junior

I recommend an Antec, Enermax, or Sparkle. Preferrably 400 watts. 350 should be the bare minimum.

http://www.newegg.com/app/manufactory.asp?catalog=58&DEPA=1

8. Renegade

Renegade New Member

hmm, is this something i am going to have to order or is it something i can find at best buy or ciruct city?

9. Necrosis

You may not be able to just go out and purchase just any power supply. Dell sometimes uses specially keyed atx connectors so you have to use a power supply that has the same pin layout. I would recommend you borrow a PS off a friend and try it first. If that works than you can pick up whatever you want. However, if it does not PC & Power Cooling does sell special supplies for Dell systems.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2002
  10. reno

reno Painlord of Ichor

fd

If you stick an ATX power supply in a Dell ATX connector, you WILL kill your motherboard. Replace your motherboard AND PSU, THAT is your best bet.

11. Renegade

Renegade New Member

i don't have the money to get a new mother board... right now all i can afford is a power supply, so if that ATX one will kill my mother board, how do i know which one to get?

i have also seen on that link posted most of them say for such and such processor... so are these power supplies processor specific? i keep seeing ones for p4 and i have a p3 :/

12. Renegade

Renegade New Member

ok i need more help :/

i talked with some computer techs and they got me the right power supply, i went home to hook it up, got it hooked up and when i flipped it on and plugged it in, it makes a high pictched noise and the computer won't start... put in the old power supply and it works just fine... but all the plugs match, except on the new power supply it has a 4 prong plug that is in a sqaure shape i noticed, and does not go to anything... i plan on taking it back to the store when it opens tomorow, but does anyone have any advice that could help me? thanks...

13. Necrosis

The square plug is for a P4 motherboard.