Audigy 2 or ...

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by megadeth, Jan 2, 2003.

1. megadeth

megadeth New Member

I want to do two things :

-use the soundfonts (very interesting)
    -record some guitar and voice

The audigy 2 was my first choice.
    But some questions appeared :
    why allow this card to record at 96 kHz(sampling rate),and let the DSP at 48 kHz ? (the card change the SR to 48 ,apply the effects,return it to 96 kHz !)

Why selling the normal and platinum with ASIO 1.0 and the future eX model with ASIO 2.0(96 kHz with Cubase,instead of 48 kHz,it's not a detail !(i know the alternative but...)) ?

Is the DSP really capable of applying multiple effects in real-time to the soundfonts ?

So,now,it's seems to oblige me to wait and pay an eX a lot more than a normal or a platinum to really record at 96 kHz and apply DSP effects at the same rate.and got the ASIO 2.0.
    Or buy a normal version and another soundcard to record,but as the others cheap recording cards got no DSP effects but equalizer,echo and other basics...
    Can some musicians help me to choose a solution ?

2. reno

reno Painlord of Ichor

vbn

We can't even record at 96khz and I work for a radio station/production studio. Does it REALLY freaking matter?

3. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Just remember Mega what media your recording will be going on. Unless your planning on doing a demo on DVD it's pretty pointless. The plain jane Audigy 2 now is "supposed" to have ASIO2 support. However, internallly it's still 16 bit. I think you want to do stuff with effects and DSP you really should have external equipment for this. One reason it is sounds a hell lot better plus if you ever want to do something live are you going to pipe it through your computer?

4. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

Audigy2 CAN'T record ASIO at 24/96 (ASIO Caps proove it). Maybe Audigy3 will be able to ;) Or at least any card made with EMU10k3 chip. It's internal processing is at 16/48.
    I don't think it is a good choice, rather leave your current Audigy1 with kX, because Audigy2 is improved for DVDs and 6.1 playback, not much for musicians.
    And I personally doubt that eX will use better chip, but we will see.

5. megadeth

megadeth New Member

Specs are fusy !?

If you go on

http://www.tomshardware.com/video/20021106/audigy2-11.html

you can see the recording quality at 24/96 of the audigy 2.
    Not with ASIO,but it's possible.And there is a lot of hardware sites with test at 24/96.
    So,it's possible or not ?
    Or just an internal conversion at 24/96 kHz ?
    i saw some comparisons of the terratec DX6 fire and the audigy 2 platinum at 24/96,and the quality of the two ones where very near.
    So,this cannot be a conversion,as the terratec is really at 24/96 !!
    And ALL those sites said that the DSP works at 24bits/48kHz.
    And as you are in the right place to tell the truth,why saying it's at 24 instead of 16 ?
    Just a mistake,a lie from Creative ?
    Creative seems to spread altered specs to keep it's domination.

to Necrosys : i just wanted to apply 24/96 quality effects with the DSP to let my CPU calculate other things.
    That was not for a realtime recording.
    But i know i can apply software effects at 24/96,even 32 /96 !

Another thing : recording and mixing at 24/96,converting after at 16/44.1(CD quality) is better than doing all at 16/44.1
    And there is no matter of DVD or not.
    If all the professionals are using 24/48 or 24/96 for a long time.Not for DVD quality,but CD quality.Because working with a large samplerate and quality(24bits) gives some headroom to apply effects,mix...
    see
    http://www.tomshardware.com/video/20021106/audigy2-03.html

Thank you for your answers !

6. RIV@NVX

Well, I don't know...
    But I doubt that internal processing is @ 24/96.

7. megadeth

megadeth New Member

i think i found the trouble with processing :
    the DSP (e mu) seems to be at 16/48(no problem,as i just want to use the soundfonts at this frequency)
    But the ADC/DAC (new on this card,because on the audigy 1,there was no special processor for convertion,so this card was just at 16,not 24,as creative said !) is 24/48 or 96(a cirrus logic,it seems)
    So,the fusyness is due to the two processors usage,that was not present on the audigy 1 !
    Thank you for all your answers.

8. RIV@NVX

Yep, I knew that.
    But I ask - are 24-bit/96kHz ASIO recording and 24/192 playback possible? Don't think so. Can you confirm/deny?

9. megadeth

megadeth New Member

It seems to be possible to record at 24/96 and playback at 24/192,as i found some tests on hardware websites.

But not with ASIO ! (because playback at 192 is not programmed ,as it is only used for stereo playback on audio DVD.But it will be added later ...as some people said !)
    And recording at 96 is "possible" with ASIO 2.0(not 1.0),but it seems that the tests were not realised with ASIO,as official drivers of the Audigy don't even use ASIO 2.0 !(they reserved it for the eX version,the eXpansive version !)
    I found the answer on Creative's site :

http://www.soundblaster.com/resources/read.asp?articleid=55

conclusion : Recording with ASIO at 16/48 (because this is the ASIO 1 ! )

But ASIO is not the only way,so ... i confirm it's not posssible with ASIO(with the informations i got,of course !)
    It's so difficult to find reliable tests,but Tom's hardware site is one of the bests for audiocard's tests (graphical comparisons and a lot of informations about the evolution of the card)

10. RIV@NVX

Never thrust to Creative :)
    But, we will see if eXpensive version will bring real 24/96 thing.

11. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member