Audigy 2 SPDIF Digital Out to 1616M In. Getting Pops and Clicks. Need help please.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Psuperhuman, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Psuperhuman

Psuperhuman New Member

Yea I want to use the physical coax or opticals for the loop. Right now I'm just using a SRC FX 0/1 to a K2lt. I don't see anything anywhere that would allow me to specify SPDIF OUT in the DSP, not even the epiloglt. It's been awhile since I toyed with the DSP, but I never used SPDIF in the past so it's new to me.

EDIT: I guess I could try it internal first anyways, but think ultimately I need to use the physical connections.

btw, thanks for workin this with me some maddog, even if it doesn't end up working it's nice to have someone to bounce ideas off of.

2. Psuperhuman

Psuperhuman New Member

Well the loop test worked, thanks for the pointers maddog. I'm not sure what I was expecting because it doesn't detect dropouts or anything like that, just the standard snr and stuff.

Gah oh well. If anyone else reads this and has any help or input that'd be great. Otherwise I'll just let this die and go get some other card to test with.

3. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

No problem... but,

The SPDIF IN is on prolog OR profx/SRC..

The SPDIF out is the 'DIGITAL front/rear/Center/LFE..

4. Psuperhuman

Psuperhuman New Member

It appears to be working better, but man this makes no sense at all...

I have the Audigy and the 1616m both connected on Ins and Outs (coax). The 1616m is on Internal 48K clock. The Audigy SPDIF frequency is set to 96k. And it seems to be working better. I'm listening very closely for 10 minutes and I've only heard a slight click once (least I think I did)

Now.. If I change the Audigy freq to 48 (which is what it should be if the Audigy clock is to sync to the 1616m(which is set E 48 internal)), there is audible clicks during music playing. It does not work any other way, no matter who is supplying the clock or the sample rates that they are set on.

I don't know if I should trust this setup, and am holding off getting excited about it.

Any input? Shouldn't there be artifacts or problems with no actual clock sync or mismatched rate? How can this be?

Edit:

It never ends...

There is a problem with it setup like this. When I play a piano note, there's an almost inaudible tick at the beginning and end of each note. It's not noticible at all if there's a song playing or something, but if you simply hit a key letting the audio go on and off, you can hear the click.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  5. Psuperhuman

Psuperhuman New Member

This is just an update to let you know I figured out the problem – it was the Audigy 2 Platinum hardware.

Once I put in the Audiophile 2496 I bought to test with, SPDIF out to my 1616m worked beautifully.

So thank you guys for suggestions and ideas, it's a shame it ended up being the Audigy Hardware.

I also advise you to test it. I have a hard time believing it was a problem on just my Audigy 2, and since making this thread and posting on many forums I still haven't seen anyone come forward saying they have used the SPDIF out to a separate card. I know I did everything possible...Creative and KX drivers, different coax and optical cables, multiple cables hooked up, clocks and rate settings, buffers, on and on and on. I'm betting this is a larger problem...

Psuper!

6. JGSF

JGSF New Member

I too can't connect my audigy2 spdif out to my 1212m spdif in... :( I mean, in my case, I don't even get any input in the 1212m.

Could you tell me what settings you have used in your audigy2?

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  7. Doug W

Doug W Active Member

Psuperhuman,

Have you tried this setup with kX version 3534f yet? I would be curious to see how that turned out. I have pretty much eliminated my pops and clicks since reverting to 3534f. I have 4 SPDIF connections between and Audigy 2 and an Audigy 1 in my Pentium III system and don't seem to have any problems.

8. Psuperhuman

Psuperhuman New Member

Johnny, I was always able to get sound, it just never had proper "sync" off the Audigy. In your case, you just need to make sure you have the Audigy OUT to the 1212 IN and configure the 1212 with the SPDIF strip. Ensure both are at 48 rate and that's about it.

Here's another thread from the unofficial EMU forums that has basically the same detailed information I put here:

http://productionforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=5710

Doug, I have used prior versions of the KX drivers but not sure about that exact one. I also used the latest versions and creative s own, and I did them all on separate fresh installs (Cloned my OS right after a super streamlined clean install, then loaded the drivers on boot up).

Thing is, I would assume an Audigy to Audigy would work as their hardware is basically the same, but once you try to sync to a different card in a separate machine then you get the kinda crap I had to deal with.

Again, I'm unsure because no one I know of since posting months ago in any forum has said "Yes I have a non Audigy card in another PC that slaves off of my desktop Audigy via SPDIF and works great with zero dropouts or clicks". You also pretty much need to have the headphones on to hear them. They are not as obvious with studio monitors unless your desktop is super silent, very obvious in headphones.

I'm not saying all cases will have the same results, but I have a hard time believing my unit is broken "outside" of manufacturers specs. i.e, I think this is the way they were manufactured. Aside from the SPDIF OUT problem, everything works perfect, even the SPDIF when it's picking up clock from another card.

Psuper!

9. JGSF

JGSF New Member

But I did that! No sound... nothing at all. tried 44, 48, 1212m as slave, 1212m as master...

10. Psuperhuman

Psuperhuman New Member

Have you tried it from the 1212 to the Audigy? Perhaps if you can get it working at least one way, you may find out what's causing the lack of sound.

11. JGSF

JGSF New Member

I did it! It was a 1212m configuration problem...

Anyway... both cards SPDIFs are set to 44Khz.

1212m out to audigy2 in works like a charm.

But audigy2 out to 1212m in produces a horrible sound (it looks like a 8-bit 11Khz sound or something).

Changing sampling rates or master/slave card doesn't solve it.

12. BionicCube

BionicCube New Member

hi guys, hi Psuperhuman,

does this mean that the audigy can act as a slave to the clock from the 1616m ?

to explain.
    i also have sync problems wit an audigy 2 zs and a xFi soundblaster card.
    the routing via S/PDIF koaxial is not the problem but if i want to use systemlink in cubase the sequencer do strange things like stopping playback or jump to strange positions in an arrangement.

i've searched an option to switch the sync from master to slave (internal / external) on booth cards, but at driver setting level there is no way to do this.
    at multitrack page in cubase device settings is only a listbox with entry "internal" and the audioconsole of the creative driver does'nt have such an option too.

does KX driver support this option to make a audigy sync as a slave to another clock signal ?

this question is very important to me, because i've bought that xFi card and not only it does'nt run in slave mode but also does not run correctly on my 64bit system. this makes this card for me pretty much useless and i will give it back to the dealer and change it to an audigy, if KX driver have this support for external sync.

regards

bio

Last edited: May 14, 2006
  13. Psuperhuman

Psuperhuman New Member

Grats Johnny glad you got it working.

Yea Bio, if you use the Audigy to receive clock it works fine syncing to some other master. But if you try sending out SPDIF from the Audigy to another unit you'll get all kinds of artifacts and random clicks. Makes no difference what drivers you use, what PCI port it's in, what computer it resides in, what SPDIF connectors or cables you use, what settings, etc. It's an Audigy 2 hardware problem.

I spend a couple months troubleshooting till my head split, and I'm convinced this is not a problem with just my Audigy, I think there's a larger problem. Now I don't have more than one Audigy to test with, so tried getting some people here to but no others have done so except Johnny to my knowledge. So I'm stuck with just my findings but in my mind they are fairly conclusive.

Just take an Audigy on one PC, and SPDIF Out to another soundcard in a different PC, and listen carefully with headphones. It never worked correctly, and I tried every possible configuration even with different fresh installs on the OS. Once I ran out of options and put an audiophile2496 in (still installed with the Audigy, just the audigy is disabled) it worked immediately.

Psuper!

14. JGSF

JGSF New Member

I would agree with you... I experienced the same problems when connecting my audigy 2 spdif out to 1212m spdif in... distorted sound, pops, clicks...

A funnt thing, though... If I have 1212m set to 44khz and set audigy 2 to 48 or 96 it still outputs digital sound...

Oh well... at least I can use the Audigy 2 for monitoring, still very useful...

15. BionicCube

BionicCube New Member

hi psuper - thx for your reply :)

how does this work ? automatically ?
    i am a bit confused, because i have tried to sync the audigy to the xFi and vice versa, but it seems that booth cards sends master clock sync and i've found no option or switch to set one of these cards to S/PDIF external sync (slave). at the device settings in cubase (multitrack page) there is also only one clock-option named "internal" and its checked.

at the creative forums they say: there's no way to sync the audigy to an external clock (master) signal from other devices :duh:

at the moment i gave the xFi card back to the dealer and ordered a M-Audio DELTA 66.
    this card has digital sync I/O option and so i think i can configure this card as a slave to the audigy master clock.
    but if it works, i will hope i have not such strange clicks, pops etc. from audigy out like you said, because then the card is realy useless in a systemlink scenario and i must buy another card like the DELTA66

the better way would be to sync the audigy to the delta master signal (because of that strange dropouts) - so, do you know a switch to set the audigy S/PDIF to slave mode (maybe via KX driver ?) ?

regards

bio

16. Psuperhuman

Psuperhuman New Member

Bio you are correct, there are no settings for internal or external clock on the Audigy. With both the creative and KX drivers, you simply hook up another soundcard's SPDIF Out to the Audigy IN, and it automatically syncs if it can.

In one of my first replies to this thread I posted the sync information. I've not had any issues from my 1616m out to the Audigy in, works fine every time even though I have absolutely no need for it.

That was what I was looking for too and asked about it in this exact thread (just after posting the sync information) if there were clock settings that could be made. After awhile I realized there aren't any and it just sync'd if it could.

I know I was trying to further polish a turd, but admittedly these KX guys are the reason. They made my useless Audigy turn into a viable music system for a long while and I didn't want to give up on it (or them). I realized I was pretty much in this boat all myself, and had to get a third party option going so I plunked some dough on the Audiophile for testing. Glad I did, wish I hadn't wasted so long troubleshooting, but it was a decent learning process and people did try to help.

Psuper!

17. BionicCube

BionicCube New Member

hi psuper,

as i said befor, i have ordered a m-audio delta66 and will get this card maybe next week. then i can test again the daisychain connection between audigy and the delta66 with sync in booth directions.
    after testing i will post my conclusion here again.

but as i have written befor, the sync'ing of the audigy with the xFi and vice versa does not work. connecting the cards together was not the problem - i have routed the signal from xFi S/PDIF out to the audigy in and then i have applyed some VST effects in cubase for testing purpose and send it back from audigy out to the xFi in with recording there - this works fine, but then, when i have switched the systemlink to active and online the cubase does some strange things like jumping elswere in the arrangement or stopping playback etc.
    i think its because of the two master clock signals from booth cards and creative phone support says to me that there is no way to use the audigy as a slave to other devices - the audigy always act as a master - also the xFi card.

have a nice day dude

regards

bio

18. BionicCube

BionicCube New Member

hello again,

ok, my testing is finished and the conclusion is. dont buy a soundblaster card if you want to sync these cards with others.
    i've tested now the functionality of system link with the audigy and the audigy does'nt work correctly, even when the S/PDIF IN and OUT are connected together - there is no signal on the receiving side oft the asio setup - the M-Audio Delta 66 does this test fine.

now i am verry helpless, because i have no more 200 euro for another Delta 66 to make systemlink works well. the syncing via MTC and MMC is not satisfactory, because working in loopmode with the sequencer does not work in a perfect way, because positioning of the sequencer only works on stop/pause, not on loop positions and the cursor on the slavemachine moves then straight the line to the end while the master is in loop play.

at the moment the second PC kan only be a additional effectserver, because routing the signal is no problem, but syncing two PCs with one or more soundblaster for working with systemlink does not work.

cheers

bio