Audigy 2 Static when using DSP

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by Noyabronok, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Noyabronok

Noyabronok New Member

I have the kx drivers installed for my Audigy 2 Platinum on Vista 32bit SP1. I hear static even on a clean line. The only way I've been able to get rid of it on this card is by clearing the DSP, but then I loose control of the settings. I can reduce the static by removing DSP items such as chorus and reverb, but there is still some static left. Why is DSP causing static, and how can I remove it?

2. TravelRec.

TravelRec. Alternative Audioproductions

What is the status of any incoming signals e.g. Line in / Mic in / CD in ?

3. Noyabronok

Noyabronok New Member

they're all muted, if that's what you mean

4. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

you are not really being very specific about how you are seeing this static...

With default DSP and seeing it on the Peak plugin...??

Or... you have all the inputs muted on the ins and outs page, and seeing static when using, and in, a recording applications record meters - in which case its the recording page that affects this - not the ins and out page.

What input - an AC97 one, or one of the I2S or SPDIF ?

is it even coming from an input? again assuming a default DSP (minus the reverb and chorus plugins), when you connect a peak plugin to prolog - is it observed there as well, or is it coming from FXBus?

5. Noyabronok

Noyabronok New Member

You're asking good questions. One of the things that I would like to do is figure out exactly where it's coming from, so that's why I've been removing objects from DSP and testing the sound after each change.

I have not gotten to testing recording yet, since the problem is reproduced on playback. The static (clicks and pops) is very bad with default kx-DSP (and Creative drivers that I was using before). Once I remove more and more non-essential items from kx-DSP setup, such as reverb, chorus, fx-bus, and such, the static almost dissapears from a clean line. Once I start playing a movie, using media player or VLC, or even doing the Vista speaker test, the static can be heard (although not as bad as default DSP). The kx speaker test always fails by the way, says can't generate sound (i'm guessing that's just a kx bug).

I have an on-motherboard 7 channel sound chip in the same computer that has absolutely no static with the same set of speakers, and the Audigy card used to work fine in another computer running Windows XP.

I really wish I had a better way of figuring out where the static is coming from exactly. What would be your next suggestion?

6. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

OK - Vista...
    But Vista support is still a work in progress.

http://www.driverheaven.net/general-discussion/177906-help-vista.html#post1219816

and particularly with ram > 2GB (for many, but not all)

Was the OS the *only* thing different - or did the computer hardware change as well (added ram for instance)??
    (> 2GB in XP was a problem too if I recall correctly)

You can try increasing the 'playback buffer size' in kX Settings > Setup Buffer....

Revert to WinXP ??

7. Noyabronok

Noyabronok New Member

Here is how much i was able to remove from DSP and still keep all channels going into 2.0 output (see attached picture)

There is very little static compared to default DSP settings, but there's still some. Again, if I clear all DSP the static will be completely gone, but so will my ability to control channels and everything else from the mixer.

Attached Files:

8. Noyabronok

Noyabronok New Member

I have 4 Gigs or ram, with 512 mapped to on-board 8200 Nvidia chip. The entire PC changed, not just OS. New motherboard, CPU, etc. I tried increasing the buffer size, and that helped, but I still hear some static..

Also, when I increase the buffer size there is a noticeable delay with the video. Unless there is an easy way to sync video to this delay this is not an option for me.

9. TravelRec.

TravelRec. Alternative Audioproductions

What happens, if you disconnect the surrounder from the epilog? Have you tried to use ProFX instead of standard plugins?

10. Noyabronok

Noyabronok New Member

I think I tried disconnecting surrounder before with no luck, but I'll try it again. Thanks for pointing me to ProFX! I'll give them a try and report back what I find :)

11. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

As already indicated, greater than 2GB RAM is currently not supported in Vista with Wave/Directsound, so as long as you are using 4GB, it is tough to provide help (since we cannot rule that out as being the problem).

Most likely the noise is not coming from the DSP itself, you should be able to confirm this by testing with one of the cards inputs.

What device are you using for playback? You should not get any sound playback without FxBus loaded, so it makes me wonder if maybe you are using WaveHQ (which I am not sure is supported in Vista currently?).

I suggest connecting peak plugins to FxBus (using Master Mixer as the playback device) and check the levels there. If the signal exceeds 0 dB at any point, try lowering the volume in your playback application or the windows mixer to a point where it no longer exceeds 0 dB (I suspect that it might be like +18 dB too loud, but it is just a guess), and see if it helps with the noise problem.

12. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Yeah, I thought his pic / description was odd too, but wave HQ makes sense - in which (if suppoerted) the P16V (used for Wave HQ) can could be disconnected from the outputs in the 'kX 24/96 router' (and possibly could eliminate one source of noise..??)

13. Noyabronok

Noyabronok New Member

Ok, here's what I got. I removed surrounder and ran 4/5 directly, then 6/7, then 8/9 and they were all clean. I tried using a 5.1 to 2 plugin instead of surrounder and there was a lot of static. I tried the ProFx and got the same results. I'm attaching a picture so that you see what I'm doing.

So, my conclusion would be that this is due to combining channels, but I don't know why and how to fix it. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

14. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Did you check the levels using peak plugins? If the levels are too high to begin with (due to a possible kX bug), combining the signals together will likely just make things worse.

15. Noyabronok

Noyabronok New Member

Here is what the levels are. I don't know what they should be or how to adjust them.

the attached picture shows one of the channels playing. I caught it during the "Master Mixer" speaker test initiated from the Vista "Sounds" screen

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  16. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I do not see any problems there, but do those sounds give you problems/noise? If not, you should check the levels when playing something that does give you noise.

Beyond that, I do not know... I cannot think of any other reason why downmixing to 2.0 would result in noise.

17. Noyabronok

Noyabronok New Member

That last picture was taken of the speaker test, and there was static. Here are some questions/thoughts I have.

1. Does this have anything to do with latency, irq, or other PCI settings?
    2. What about EMI? Does the DSP convert to analog when downmixing?
    3. Maybe I should try a plugin that cleans the sound?
    4. Since buffering has an effect on static, maybe that means something for DSP?

18. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

No, the DSP is all digital. There is no reason (given the above levels) why the signal would be clean from the SRC plugin, but have static after the downmix plugin, unless you are just noticing it more due to an increase in volume (or you are doing something in the DSP that is causing noise, etc (and none of the plugins that you are using should do that)). If buffering has an effect on the static, then it is something that is happening outside of the DSP (again maybe the RAM thing). Again, I would suggest testing using one of the cards inputs. If you are getting the same noise with the cards inputs (monitoring via the DSP), than I would look into other things, like possible grounding issues, or EMI, etc.

If the noise is only at a particular frequency, then you could try filtering it out using one of the EQ plugins (for example, if it was a 60 Hz hum from AC power, than you could try to filter it out using a notch filter set to 60 Hz, etc).

BTW: Playback using kX ASIO does not have the RAM issue, so you might also try playing your audio using kX ASIO (from an app that supports ASIO) and see if it makes a difference.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  19. WxMan1

WxMan1 Active Member

What's the status of your box? That is, is it a brand new build, OEM, or what?

What motherboard, sound card, and PSU is at issue here?

:hmm:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  20. Noyabronok

Noyabronok New Member