Audigy 2 Static when using DSP

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by Noyabronok, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Noyabronok

Noyabronok New Member

well, I removed all physical inputs from the Audigy PCI card, and removed 2GB of ram, so I now have only 2GB left. The static is still there. I'm thinking of reinstalling the OS, maybe that will make a difference?

2. Noyabronok

Noyabronok New Member

Ok, this is very strange. I installed Windows XP on the same computer (parallel on another drive, so I can switch to Vista quickly). I tried the Creative drivers, and got some static. Now I'm trying the kx drivers. I removed a few of the unnecessary plugins like reverb and chorus from default DSP and that cleaned up the static on an empty line. The kx-Speaker test worked like a charm, with all 5.1 channels coming in clean with no static (kx-speaker test didn't work in Vista, so can't compare). As soon as I try to play a wav file (any of the sounds that come with windows) I get lots of static.

So I kept playing with the DSP in Windows XP, and finally got rid of all the static by creating the flow that I'm attaching below. So, who can make anything out of this?

Attached Files:

3. Noyabronok

Noyabronok New Member

Ok, more strange results.

I clean installed Vista onto yet another hard drive on the same machine. I did not load up all my other apps like antivirus. Just Vista 32bit Service Pack 1. I installed kx drivers right away after SP1 update (before I used to try out creative drivers first). I configured the DSP for a 6 channel mixdown to stereo (FX4-9) by using the cnv51to20 plugin. I tested with the Vista speaker test on the Master Mixer in Vista's Sound panel.

* 8 sounds were played (as always).
    * The first 6 sounds were almost perfectly clean
    * Last 2 sounds had static

Next, I used the Mixy plugin to downmix and monitor level at the same time (easier than using a surrounder and Peak plugins). I wired FX0/1, FX2/3, FX4/5, FX6/7, FX8/9 going into Mixy and coming out to analog stereo. Now, FX4-9 played in turn, but I swear that 90% of the time that I heard static I would also notice jumps on FX0/1 !!!! I played FX 0/1 solo and sure enough, i heard some static.

So, the big question is: why is static being inserted in FX0/1 ???

4. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

So, if you leave FxBus 0/1 disconnected in the default DSP config, does it get rid of the static completely? (BTW: Is this still with only 2GB RAM?)

<edit>
    Hmm, in one of your previous tests, you were not using FxBus 0/1, but still had a lot of static...
    </edit>

Do you still have XP installed? If so, can you confirm the same results in XP?

It is sounding more like a hardware issue at this point. i.e. Maybe a problem with the card itself, or maybe it is just picking up noise from other components. I would suggest testing in another system if possible, beyond that, move the card to another PCI slot if possible (preferably one as far away from the video card and any cooling fans as possible).

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  5. Noyabronok

Noyabronok New Member

Ok. So I think one of the major problems of the kx driver under Vista was that I couldn't choose the speaker setup to report to windows. The kx Master Mixer device has 8 channels selected and there was no way to change that. fx 0/1 is always 2 speaker, etc.. Under Windows XP this option is enabled for me to change, and I think it's incredibly useful. Also, kx drivers should have the kx speaker test on Vista fixed as well.

Also, there seems to be a synchronization delay when using the kx-Driver between Video and Audio, which seems to be due to the buffer. I don't have the same delay when using the on-motherboard sound card.

I think I'm going to try using it with XP for a while, see how far I can take it. XP seems to be the most configurable/supported OS when compared to Vista.

6. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Just a thought...

Perhaps changing Wave 0/1 Routing in kX Router, see if that has any affect

Try swapping Wave 0/1 with Wave 2/3 (If set to FXBus 0/1 - set to FXBus 2/3 and vise versa)

My thinking:
    If it is a hardware problem, maybe it has to do with FXBus 0/1...??

Just a thought.

7. Noyabronok

Noyabronok New Member

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm actually getting clean results on wave 0/1 under windows XP ( I reinstalled XP but did not install creative driver (only kx), then I removed reverb, chorus, fxmix2 and p16v from default dsp), so i'm gonna monitor it over a few days to see how it goes.

My only major complaint left (at the moment) is syncing the audio with video. I reduced the kx buffer to 4ms (it's 8 by default), and that helped a little, but I can't reduce it any further without messing up the sound. Again, my onboard sound card has no delay (it's in sync with video), so it's something specific to my kx-audigy setup. Does anyone have any suggestion for fixing that?

8. TravelRec.

TravelRec. Alternative Audioproductions

What video player / app you are using? I can not see any problems with my SB0350 A2ZS with different video applications, Audigy1 and older cards are working too.

9. Noyabronok

Noyabronok New Member

I'm using VLC. I also use Media player 11 with k-lite standard codec pack.

10. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

VLC has an "Audio desynchronization compensation" setting that you can adjust.

As far as WMP 11 goes, be careful with codec packs, it can be hard to tell when some of these codecs are being used, and often they are used when they not needed and can cause problems. In such cases you would need to try and figure out which codec is being used, and see if it has any audio/video sync settings that can be adjusted.

11. Noyabronok

Noyabronok New Member

Thanks, I will see about VLC setting. I was hoping for something on the kx driver side, since the other sound card doesn't need any adjustment in this area. Is there a good reason why there is a delay for Audigy w/ kx driver?

12. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I do not know, what type of videos are you playing? I suspect that some videos might give you problems while others will not. I do not play a lot of videos myself (aside from online stuff), and the few videos that I do play do not really have any sync issues.

13. Noyabronok

Noyabronok New Member

I am doing my testing with a Pirates of the Carribean DVD (original factory made, not burned). I do have tons of other stuff but I figure this DVD should be a golden standard kinda thing.

14. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I see (I thought you meant AVI/DIVX/MPG, etc), I would guess that you are playing back AC3/DD, and the delay is from the decoding process (though I am not sure why your onboard sound does not have the same problem, unless maybe it decodes AC3 in hardware?).

BTW: My DVD drive is external, so things are a bit different for me then they would be for you.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  15. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Wouldn't this beg the following question...(to the OP)

Are you using the digital audio connector of your DVD Drive?

Sure, most people probably dont use that.. ?? - but I know all my CD/DVD drives have had that digital audio connector, and if so, kX will definitly add extra time if kX decodes the AC3 from external SPDIF, as would be the case.

Seems to me, a version WinDVD (came with audigy, and thus installed its DVD codecs) I tried would only do audio this way (would not 'rip' via ATA/IDE).

I dunno - thinking out loud I guess...

16. Noyabronok

Noyabronok New Member

I have 2 DVD drives. One's connected by analog and the other by digital cable to the audigy sound card (here's an idea, disconnect the cables???). They both seem to be working the same. I think i'm just so tired from nights of troubleshooting this thing that my brain is delaying in processing the sound and syncing it to the video. I just hooked up to onboard card again and I thought I saw a delay as well (i need sleep baaaad).

The sound chipset onboard is IDT 92HD206, which should be a decent quality chip. The motherboard also has a HDMI, although I was testing with VGA out. Anyway, I think I just need to hook up my projector w/ hdmi and see if the delay is there, because that's what really matters (hdmi will carry video only, sound will come from audio card)

Thanks all for everyone's help. If I ever need advice on this, I know where to go :)

Alex

17. imperia

imperia Active Member

What's that driver you are using. KX driver always shows devices like "kX 10k2 Audio ("3545") - Model SB0360", and not "Creative SB Audigy 2 (WDM)"?

Also I cannot select Master Mixer "As default"

18. Noyabronok

Noyabronok New Member

I'm using the kx-driver, but prior to installing the kx driver I installed the Creative drivers from Creative website. kx drivers pick up the Creative driver's device names when installed on top of Creative driver. You can see on the same picture in lower right corner the DSP is showing that I have a 10k2 chip.

I was able to select the master mixer ad default just fine. This was in Vista.

Edit: I would recommend not installing the Creative drivers to begin with. I ended up doing a clean Windows XP install and installing the kx driver right away. Works very well.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009