Audio over HDMI

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by kosketus, Apr 11, 2013.

1. kosketus

kosketus Member

Hello

Is there a way in which the kX mixer can be linked with my PC's HDMI-out connector?

I'm trying to set things up so that I can view old videotapes on the TV which (in addition to my monitor) I've got connected to my desktop PC. The video signal is grabbed from the tape via the S-video input on a PCI capture-card connected to the VCR's S-video output, whence it finds its way to the TV screen via the PC's HDMI output. Using MPC as player, this works quite well (though not altogether without problems).

The audio (for which the capture-card has no driver) is fed into my Audigy soundcard's line-in jack. The level-meters in the ADC plug-in register the signal which the DSP routes via MX6 to the WinMM recording-out connectors of k2lt.

I'm able to monitor the audio over my stereo speakers (plugged into the Audigy's rear-speaker jack), but these are not positioned for TV sound (they're for listening to music from elsewhere in the room). What I really want is for the audio to issue from the TV's own built-in speakers, thus matching the audio with what's going on on the screen. For this to happen would appear to require that some way be found to link-up the kX DSP and my PC's HDMI audio driver, the controller for which is integrated into the PC's Intel Z68 chipset's south bridge.

Sounds like a tall order :( Is it possible?

2. janez

janez Active Member

So the hdmi appears in the system as a sound device, but has no physical inputs, right?
    Can you play a videofile that you already recorded with Audio via hdmi?

If so, you might also be able to route the input signal via some Software that is able to use one device for recording and another one for playback.
    Samplitude for example might be able to do that.

3. kosketus

kosketus Member

It actually appears as "Intel Display Audio", which I guess merely reflects the fact that its driver is an Intel product (which comes with the Z68 chipset's driver-set supplied with the motherboard). As you say, it has no physical inputs.
    Yes
    I'll have a look at that. Thanks

4. kosketus

kosketus Member

I see that Samplitude ProX costs $499 at Amazon. Also I read in Wikipedia that it's a full-fledged DAW.

I'm afraid that that makes it a question of sledge-hammers and walnuts (for me, anyway - the cost aside it's way out of my league).

My problem is simpler, on the face of it (I realise that doesn't mean it necessarily has a simple solution, or any solution). I capture video from my VCR with a capture-card and audio with the Audigy (plus kX driver). Whereas the video is transmitted onwards by the HDMI connection via the Intel route the audio stops at the Audigy/kX.

This doesn't happen with the audio contained in .ts video files on my hard drive - which enters the DSP on FX bus 0/1 and exits by way of WinMM, whence it joins the video signal on the HDMI link. Why the audio is handled differently when it enters via 'line-in'/ADC, and never joins-up with the video, isn't immediately obvious.

5. janez

janez Active Member

A full-fledged DAW it is, but there are cheaper Versions. There even is a free one, and its all you need. Its called Samplitude silver and its limited to 8 Tracks :) You can download it from the Magix site. You just have to register to use it beyond an evaluation period. For free, and its an amazing peace of software.

Maybe, but it will propably work. There maybe something simpler around, but I don´t have anything in particular to suggest.

Not exactly simple if you don´t know the software, or that type of Software yet.
    Of course it does. I think I understand your Problem
    And thats why you can make it work.
    Just setup KX as a recording device in the settings of Samplitude and the hdmi as a playback device.
    Go in recording standby mode and monitor the signal.
    Its because thats where its hooked up. Why would it come out of the hdmi if the signal is fed to kx. And there is no way to feed the signal directly to the hdmi, because it has no physical inputs. But its available as a playback device.
    You wouldn´t expect something to come out of your kitchen radio just because you plugged something into your stereo system next door, right?

There is a solution for your problem

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  6. kosketus

kosketus Member

Hi Janez

Thanks, I'll have another go.

Your interest is much appreciated!

7. janez

janez Active Member

btw:
    Audacity might perhaps also be able to do that.
    That software is certainly more simple and its completely open source.
    I don´t really use it, but I took a look into the settings, and you can define different devices for recording and playback.
    About monitoring the input signal while not recording: I don´t know. Check it out.
    But if you want a great DAW as a sideeffect of this research: go for Samplitude.

8. kosketus

kosketus Member

Hi again janez

Having taken a closer look at Samplitude (Silver) my first impressions are confirmed. If someone presented me with a formula-1 car I might be so foolish as to indulge in fantasies where I'm taking the chequered flag at Nurburgring but I would know perfectly well that it's never going to happen because I just don't have the innate ability to acquire the necessary skills. Same with Samplitude (or any of the others) - besides, for my own limited purposes I don't have any need to (any more than I have to learn to drive a grand-prix car).

Audacity is quite difficult enough for me already! I hope you see my point.

The attached screenshots show the setups I'm using in my DBV-T player (DVBViewer) and in Media Player Classic. Both have 'Intel Display Audio' set as audio renderer. Whereas - as is shown in its filter graph - the audio stream in the first doesn't go via kX Mixer, in the second it does; this is the one I'm using for playing-back videotapes (in the manner previously described, except that then I was using DScaler not MPC). I also attach the setup I'm using on the 'Capture' tab of MPC -> Options (showing kX Wave HQ as input) along with the AC97 tab of kX Mixer where AC97 -> I2S Routing Mode toggle is enabled along with LineIn and Recording Gain faders.

Can you spot anything in this setup which might be accounting for my not getting any audio output channelled through the HDMI connection to my TV? So far as I can see it complies faithfully with your stipulation:-

Attached Files:

9. kosketus

kosketus Member

BTW since posting this I've removed the AC3 filter from the audio filter-chain for MPC. It had no business to be there.

But doing that made no difference!

10. janez

janez Active Member

This sounds very complicated!
    I hope I got the basic idea right.
    So the MPC ist the software you use for capturing an external video source?
    And it allows you to route an input signal from kx to the hdmi output?
    In that case you woudn´t need any additional software to do that.

If it looks like it should work in your capturing software it might be the signal flow in kx. Did you verify you have a signal at the latest possible point in kx, which is the WinMM recording output, with a peakmeter for example?

11. kosketus

kosketus Member

Good question!

Answer:- No, until now I hadn't.

Now I have (just), and the peak meter on that output registers exactly in synch with the output signal in MX6. So, the mystery appears to deepen :eek:

This seems to show that the answer isn't to be found within kX. I can only conclude that (despite all appearances) there's something not right in my settings in MPC OR that Intel's "Display Audio" driver is the culprit &/OR that something funny is going on in the link-up of my TV over HDMI, driven by Intel's Graphics and Media app.

(BTW I'm not expecting to get any help in a kX forum with those external apps, though if anyone reading this has any relevant knowledge and cares to comment they'd be welcome).

12. kosketus

kosketus Member

(contd)

As an experiment I tried changing the 'Multiple Displays' config in the Intel 'Graphics and Media Control Panel' app from 'extended desktop' to 'clone' (which displays identical images on both screens, as opposed to one image stretched across both as seen in the screenshots).

Now here's the thing. In this screen config, and even with the TV selected as 'primary display', the kX level meters register no signal at all in the TV screen's image whilst continuing to do so as before in the PC monitor's image. (The monitor is connected to the PC's DVI-D port, without any audio lead hooked-up to it).

I've no idea what to make of this. Does anyone?

13. janez

janez Active Member

As a next step I would experiment with kx input to hdmi output in general.

Try to setup a scenario, with Audacity for example, with an input signal plugged into kx and make it appear on your hdmi output. Can you make that work somehow?
    So far, if I got that right, you only had audio on your hdmi when playing a file, and not yet from a live input.