Auto Mute plugin?

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by Maddogg6, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Well it is good to learn the Dane side of things first (if that is where you main interest is), as without that code, you cannot do anything, but, if your interest in this area continues, it is highly likely that eventually you will find yourself at a point where you are not able to do something that you want to do, without C++ (i.e. adding any controls that are not a slider, calculating one or more filter coefficients (some of the more complicated ones) based on a slider setting, etc).

If/when you get to that point, and decide to reinstall VC, ask us for help, if you are having trouble with it.

As Lex said, it really is less complicated than you think. Your issues were more likley related to setting up the programming environment correctly (and maybe an issue with some VC6/VC7 differences) than anything else.

As far as some of the (non-kX related) samples that you may have tried goes, that can be a little tricky as well, if a workspace/solution was not included, as you need to make a new workspace with all the correct settings (i.e. is it a DLL, or an EXE, is it a console application or a dialog application, does it need MFC support, etc (the workspace/solution files have this stuff allready setup)), and then add the sample files to it. It can be confusing (it is enough to make anyone feel like an idiot) when you are first starting out.

As far as the MSDN documentation goes, all that info is available online, and IIRC, they give away the ISO images of those disks for free nowadays.

Just some food for thought...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  2. Lex Nahumury

Lex Nahumury DH Senior Member

I would like to think that without learning some Basic DSP algorithme(s) firts, one cannot do anything!
    Wether the algorithme is implemented in emu10kx, another DSP platform or entirly in C/C++ doesn't really matter.
    Yep, shouldn't be a problem. But hey,..if he doesn't want to......:cool:

3. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Ok I re-installed VS2003 - I opened 3 different DX examples - and I get basically the same error:
    When I try to build a solution (or compile), even tho I put every DXSDK sub-folder in: Tools > Options > Projects > VC++ Directories.
    And I can see that 'dxerr9.h' file in the 'DXSDK/Include' Directory.

I have asked about this else where and had supposed seasoned programmers scratching their heads and shrugging shoulders.. Thus, my previous abandonment to VC++ all together.

4. Tril

Tril Triple screen racing ftw

The order in which the includes are set matters. If they are not included in the right order, it won't work. Try to place that include folder at the top of the list.

I just tried the same sample. It would not compile if the include was third in the list. It compiles fine if the include is first in the list.

EDIT : The error messages seems to indicate that the problem is something else.
    The drive letter is k. Is that a network drive?
    What version of Windows are you using?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  5. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

1) Yup - at the top of the list
    2) K is local HDD - not a networked/mapped drive

3) before ya ask - I verified that I have:
    USER Environmet Vars..
    INCLUDE = "K:\MS Visual Studio .NET\SDK\v1.1\include\"
    LIB = "K:\MS Visual Studio .NET\SDK\v1.1\Lib\"

SYSTEM Environment Vars..
    INCLUDE = "K:\MS Visual Studio .NET\SDK\v1.1\include\"
    LIB = "K:\MS Visual Studio .NET\SDK\v1.1\Lib\"
    VS71COMNTOOLS = "K:\MS Visual Studio .NET\Common7\Tools\"

VS2003 is installed there on K: - the IDE opens without errors....

Using WinXP Home SP2 - logged in as admin or restricted user gives error(s) upon compile or build solutions...

6. Tril

I think I found your problem, or at least a way to get the same error. I get the same error when I place the library path in include and the include path in library (in the IDE).

7. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

I double checked -assuming your referring to the IDE options as opposed to the env vars... unless theres something I missed - like I didnt add any 'Source' or 'Reference' - but it was my understanding it wasnt needed - IIRC anyway.

8. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

But yes - I have tried adding LIB to to Includes and vice versa - just becuase I was trying everything and anything.

But I just put it back to 'normal' - same error..

And it doesnt look like the 'dxerr9.h' file is corrupt or anything either.

9. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

I do wonder - would that same example compile with AS IS with VC2005 Express?

What if I installed both, can they 'live' together on same PC?
    Or will I be forced to un-install VS2003 before VC2005 express can install ?
    Having to goto MS for every little thing is a total PITA. It appears 2005 has the MSDN help in its ISO.

10. Tril

PSDK is the platform SDK.

There's a compiler option called showIncludes that prints where the include file come from. It could help you find out if it's finding the include files of the DirectX SDK.

It's in Project->(insert project name) Properties...->C/C++->Advanced->Show includes.

11. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

I dont see this...
    But...
    If I right click on the current Project in 'Solution explorer' - Choose 'Properties' - Expand 'Common Properties' - Select 'Project Dependencies' - I have a drop down for 'Project' - which is blank also - no drop down choices.

12. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Ok - I found it - I right click on the CPP file in the solution explorer - I can select to show includes.

I tried again, But I dont see anything different... ??

13. Tril

You are getting in the solution properties (this is the first thing at the top of the solution explorer). You need to get in the project properties(this is the second thing at the top of the solution explorer). I'm not sure if I'm using the right terminology. Right-click the name of the project instead of the name of the solution and then get in the properties.

Did you download the PSDK and the DXSDK recently?

14. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Yes I found the 'Show Includes' setting... but It doesnt look like it does for the READFFE example - which *Does* compile - but exits silently when I try to run the EXE I compiled. (window pops up, then disappears)
    edit: for clarity - I see 'Including... for the REAFFE example' - but NOT for the SoundFX example)

Which is familiar to what what happening before - most wont compile - the few that did, didn't run.

Ive had the PSDK (server 2003) and DXSDK (V9.0x - ?? - 'C' - I think) since I was through all this before... maybe a year now - at least 6 months anyway...
    (edit: I *could* be mistaked - I have done other stuff, programmign wise since - but I do recall, re-installing BOTH to new locations)

But, I was told before to try re-installing the SDKs to this other drive, so registry entires could be found easy or something...

Now - I can use DS8 in purebasic - which I would think the DX runtime is ok, the few games Ive had were OK etc...

15. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Additionally - 'Hello world' examples(edit, I meant 'tutorials' - stuff I typed in by hand, spoon fed step by step etc..) DID work before - so that would indicate to me the PSDK is at least found/working to some point - but I havent tried anything else WinAPI wise beyond that.

Other tutorial examples (edit: that assumed more experience - and more or less - published source code)) that were winAPI would either compile with warnings, but exe's would spit out errors - or not compile at all - but I forget what errors - they varied - but some examples were for VC6 - But I read some where I need to change stuff I didnt really understand.

I dunno - I have to admit Im not as patient as I was before with this, and think maybe trying the VC2005 may be easier ???
    I dunno....

16. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

It is generally better to install the SDK's after installing VC, since the setup program from the SDK automatically sets the correct environment variables and C++ directories for you.

I would start there considering that it is telling you that it cannot locate a file.

A reinstall of the SDK would also help to rule out file corruption as a cause.

BTW:
    You did not show any environment vars related to any SDKs.
    You did not show your PATH variable.

What were the specific directories that you added (VC++ Directories)?

For reference, I show the following (related to the DX SDK):

Environment Variables
    ------------------------
    System:
    DXSDK_DIR = C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (February 2007)\

PATH = C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (February 2007)\Utilities\Bin\x86;(PATH continues with non-DX SDK related entries)

VC++ Directories:
    -------------------
    Executable Files:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (February 2007)\Utilities\Bin\x86

Include Files:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (February 2007)\Include

Library Files:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (February 2007)\Lib\x86

Does what you added manually resemble what I have?

17. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

motha-F@#King son -of a .....

Its working now... The DX SDK examples compile and RUN (the SoundFX one is pretty cool)

All I needed was the MSDN disks.. I think it does more than add docs and sample code. (took some time and said 'registering objects' during the MSDN install??) .. Something I notice different is; now it asked me to save solution 'sln' files (for projects it 'updates' upon loading) when I build or compile now. Only once - it but didnt ever before. ?? Maybe thats what the DXSDK env vars would fix ??

edit: I get log files now too.

I didnt need to re-install anything btw
    I still dont have these Env Vars

I have NO MS SDK related env vars
    No dir with \x86 - just 'Bin' = yes

yup - this I had

no x86 dir here either.

Freaking FINALLY - I got something more then 'hello world' to work - which was ALOT of work for that measly .... well - its working now.

Thanks for the help.... now I will get that WDK Tril mentioned in the other thread and maybe I can make a plugin or something with KX SDK.. ?? - dont hold breath - Im only NOW just able to compile - I doubt I'll miraculously be a 'programmer' - just a 'compiler' thus far.

I need sleep now - thanks again guys. You'll prolly regret it :D

18. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you finally got it working :)

I am not sure why the MSDN library discs would cause such a problem (I have installed VC in the past without them and never had any problems), but whatever...

19. Lex Nahumury

Lex Nahumury DH Senior Member

O boy, Trill what did you do? (he was never meant to get this far. now we have to answer all sorts of questions):cool:

20. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

hehe allow me to correct your statement (in bold)

I didnt install the WDK yet - but KX demo plugin compiles - and It registers successfully - but I get some 'assertion' error when I try to open the tweak window for it - Im guessing thats from MFC version problems - It looks like I have some version of MFC - well I see settings to make use of it anyway..

But now I need to go ask Tril about the WDK in the other thread..

'Welcome to hell boys'

:D

Mark