Auto reboot Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Just to be safe.
    Question.
    This power connector goes to the gpu. Is it me or is it missing something?
    [​IMG]

This is the PSU, the cable connected to it in this photo on the top line is the one to the CPU.
    [​IMG]post pics

This is the GPU connector (GTX 970 by Gigabyte)
    [​IMG]

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

That bottom right pin (with the clip connector orientated up) is a Sensing pin. It appears to be a common thing missing on various PSUs.

It's rather peculiar.

Trusteft likes this.
  3. Trusteft

I am confused.

4. Calliers

Calliers Is turning over a new leaf..... Staff Member

It's supposed to be missing, or at least, it usually is. It isn't really required.

5. Trusteft

So it's ok if the end which connects to the PSU has one pin missing.

6. Calliers

I believe so. On mine there is a pin missing as well.

It has functioned without issue for the whole of last year since I built the PC however.

Trusteft likes this.
  7. Trusteft

Everything (well only the OS drive) ready to go. I switch it on and I get a qcode of 53. According to the manual it means
    Memory initialization error. Invalid memory type or incompatible memory speed.
    Which is weird as I haven't touched the modules or went into the bios or anything really.
    I wonder if it means problematic dimm.
    I am going to check it now.

8. Trusteft

OK, ok. I forgot I removed all the RAM.

9. Trusteft

Plugged in just one of the 8GB dimms.
    I got cpu fan error...I forgot to plug in the CPU fan to power. Oops.
    Plugged in it, still got CPU fan error even though the cpu fan was now running, possibly too fast. I went to uefi bios and checked the qfan control which was disabled, showing the cpu fan speening at about 3500 rpm. I set it to auto, restarted and it went straight to the bios, no booting screen at all this time.
    The CPU fan speed was at about 1400rpm.
    The qcode was showing A9 code which means it is in setup process, which I guess is normal.
    Now, why can't I boot properly and instead it always boots to the bios?
    Hmmm.
    In case anyone wonders it's the ASUS X99-DELUXE/U3.1 motherboard.

EDIT: I am going to deal with this tomorrow. Too late to think clearly now.
    I will see if there is anything wrong with the SSD and perhaps use an old former laptop HDD as a boot drive to test it.
    Also I am going to plug in the SSD in an external dock to see if the OS is still there (you never know).

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  10. Judas

If a bios reset was performed, then it's default boot order could be maligned, the other alternative or contributing reason would be due to csm legacy boot modes vs UEFI, specially in pure UEFI.

If a disk drive was formated as GPT, then it cannot be booted from while csm legacy mode is active as primary.... IF it's formatted MBR, then generally UEFI usually dislikes trying to boot from it though it appears to be hit and miss depending.

11. Trusteft

Neither the BIOS or drives were changed since the last time when the computer would boot properly in windows (though of course the auto reboot was there).
    Though having said that, I have no idea how the qfan was changed to disabled from auto while the computer was unplugged and in storage.

12. Calliers

Chip creep?

13. Trusteft

I don't see how that would be possible.

14. Calliers

15. Judas

Asus's bios can and often does FULLY reset after a rather short number of failed startups. This is specially true with memory training errors or post code erroring.

Trusteft likes this.
  16. Trusteft

WARNING: LONG ASS POST.

ok, I don't remember everything that is missing, so here is directly to the latest part sum up.
    When new memory was installed (new as in any change in dimms, quantity or position) the ram led would warn me I need to press the button next to the LED to have the motherboard auto configure the memory or some bs like that.
    Which I find strange, but whatever, you don't change the ram that often anyway under real conditions. After you did that once (stuck with a configuration of sticks), the problem wouldn't re appear.
    The difference was that whenever one specific stick of ram was used, not only would the warning light and slow boot up always repeat itself, even after I would get the message the memory was now setup properly, but also whenever I pressed the power button, the motherboard/cpu/etc would power up, immediately shut down (including fans, lights, etc) and power up again on its own, without any further errors, and running Windows for hours on end without any issue appearing. The bios/system/windows would see all ram sticks (be it the problematic stick on its own or with other sticks) and work.
    So obviously I removed the specific stick from the system for good. Ever since I did that, (and pressed the button once after that) the ram issue and the "double boot" issue hasn't appear again. I must have booted (cold and soft) 12s of times the last couple of days without any problems.

The stick in question is the same stick I received as a replacement a couple of years ago (or 4?) when I discovered I had a stick of the 4, not being recognized at all. This stick replacement is of a newer batch, but otherwise the same make (Crucial) and "model". I even contacted Crucial to ask them and they told me as such.

This is very weird.

First, from basically 5 sticks of ram, 2 of them were/are problematic, one immediately and one after a while, from the same company. From my very first owned computer in the mid 80s, I do not remember ever having a bad memory apart from perhaps (PERHAPS) one time which was a special case on its own.
    Second, even if this stick of ram is responsible for some of the problems, it can't be for everything as the problems started before I even got this particular stick. Also, back in 2017 I checked different sticks on different slots (I remember it clearly) to make sure it wasn't a RAM issue causing the auto reboots (the original title of this thread) and the problem (auto reboots and other things I won't repeat) was repeatable no matter what combination of RAM I used, with or without this particular stick.

So yes now the system is bootable without double booting, it is stable with running for hours on end without any auto reboot or other issues that I can tell, where in the past the longest it stayed on was 25 min IIRC.

My question is, what's next?
    Well, 3 questions.

1. I contacted the company which sold me the RAM (and everything else in this system) and they told me to send them back the ram to have it checked. I don't know if it is worth it. Even if they can detect what is wrong with it (if there is something wrong with it and it isn't some weird incompatibility issue with the specific motherboard), and have it replaced with another one, do I trust it? And by it I mean, Crucial memory.
    Do I keep the RAM I have which apparently works, or get rid of it to play it safe and buy some new RAM?
    According to Asus this motherboard supports
    2. I was considering buying a new PC case (and fans), to rule out any issue of them. The problem is, for the life of me I can't find any PC case that I like. I don't want any dark color case, I don't want if possible any black color showing. Both are very hard to find. Even in the rare case (heh) I find some which is some nice bright color without black, it's either a) ugly as sin, b) expensive as...sin, c) out of production nowhere to be found, d) has one issue which just kills it for me. SO, do I risk re installing the system on its original case? If I am going to have a case I don't like, I might as well not spend any extra money for it. But what if it's a case issue?

3. I was considering getting a cheap or two NVMe drives for it. The motherboard has a m.2 slot for it, and it came with a card which gives me one more. But the only cheap and reliable drives I can find are the Intel 660p drives which for what you can get today, are much slower (depending on usage of course) and not as reliable in the long run, compared to more expensive drives. QLC and all. I have 2 Samsung 850 Pro SSDs (SATA) and 1 Samsung 850 Evo (SATA). A 250GB (Windows 8.1 OS drive, the Evo one)), a 500GB and a 1TB (the two Pro drives).
    They are all good drives, they don't reach the maximum sequential performance of NVMe drives, even slow ones, but in real life applications, even in video editing, would I really see any difference compared with the cheaper NVMe drives? So basically it is another, do I buy something that is ok, but not what I would like, or stick with what I have and wait till in the future I get a new system?

17. Judas

1: that's entirely up to you really... either or... the only alternative i could suggest is simply picking up a cheap second module from either crucial brand or any other brand that has similar timings/frequencies (either identical or better if you want to ensure functionality). Mixing modules in various channel configurations even if it's quad channel isn't a problem... at this point in computer tech, the only thing that seems to "bugger" anything up would be mixing dual rank ram with a single ranked ram.... but even then that's not necessarily a problem, still wouldn't crash, just might skew the channel/performance a smidge.

2: Again this is almost entirely personal preferrences. If it was truely a case issue, pulling the guts and running everything naked would tell you, but it sounds like the system is running fine now and it was a memory issue.... right?

3: I've ran a whole hell of a lot of ssd configurations from slower evos to the pros to the nvme drives. Personally in even the vast majority of work related tasks, Samsung's 840 ~> 860 EVO models are PLENTY sufficient provided they give you enough room to work. If you're running low on room and having to juggle, then at that point i'd only advise considering a high capacity 860 evo or a 970 evo plus.... 1TB drives are now rather far more affordable than they used to be, hell a 1tb 970 evo plus right now is cheaper than what i initially paid for my current 500gb 850 pro. A 2tb 860 evo is pretty reasonable as well.

Trusteft likes this.
  18. Trusteft

Yeah, I found some faster ram (not that I care that much about that) at relatively good price. Hynix and Corsair. I am considering it.

The computer is out of the case for a few days now, and it is working. I want to say it was entirely the ram's fault, but the problem persisted even when I originally used other ram to test it back in 2017. I am talking about the auto reboots. The auto reboots were gone when I removed the system from the case few days ago. Coincidence maybe.

Yeah, I have to give it to Samsung, they make terrific SSDs (sata or nvme). Choices...

Thanks for your replies.

19. Trusteft

The whole PC/RAM issue is killing me. I can't take it out of my mind.
    Question, I found this F4-2400C16D-32GFT ram 2x16GB kit from G-Skill. I didn't know RAM could be designed for specific systems, so I am a bit worried about it as even on the official site it says so. Surely the ram can be used without issues on Intel systems too, right?
    Main reason I am interested in this is because it is the cheapest I can find, no Crucial, and readily available.

20. Trusteft

Frak, I can't make up my mind.