Auto reboot Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Aug 10, 2017.

1. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

Why 32GB?

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Because right now I can't afford 128GB.

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

amd sentric ram works fine in intel and vice versa.... ram has to comply with the jedec spec fully, if it doesn't .... someone's fucked up horribly.

Frankly i despise manufacturers that try to sell something on the premise that it's geared toward one platform or another. Even today there is now kits being "amd/ryzen" pointed... and it irritates the hell out of me and it tends to confuse people too.

In terms of everything working completely naked right now, the only final test you can perform is a careful installation of it in your existing case, checking all the mainboard mounts and i'd even advise you leave the headphone/mic front header unplugged or other front headers and only piece it together a bit at a time over a few days to narrow down the potential cause IF it decides to start any bullshit.

In all honesty, the only reason a case would cause issues and it'd be irrelevant what case you put it in, would be a ground fault in which the mainboard mounts (which are electrically grounded from the mainboard) is receiving power due to a ground fault from perhaps another device including the PSU that is "charging" the case and feeding power into the board.

Trusteft likes this.
  4. Trusteft

motherboard and psu back in place, all power connects to the psu connected. data wise only the OS SSD is plugged in, the gpu and mouse and keyboard. No issues.

Next step the other two SSDs. Then the OD, then the hot plug HDD docks, then the front panel connectors and last the fans.
    Let's hope it was (somehow) all the RAM's fault.

5. Trusteft

Hilarious small problem. I can't remember where I put the other SSDs in the case.There is no room lol.
    Anyway, the bluray drive plugged in without issues.
    As soon as I manage to place the SSDs and there is no problem, I will plug in the front panel connectors.
    In the mean time I ordered a NVMe ssd cause the 256GB is too low, I don't know what I Was thinking buying it back then. I will just clone it when that arrives (some time next week).

6. Trusteft

Well, this is interesting.
    3 SSDs, sata, C E F. C is the OS drive, E and F are currently empty. The C is a 250GB Samsung 850 evo, E is a 1TB 850 pro and the F is a 500GB Evo Pro.
    First boot with all three went fine, but the bios asked me to pick boot device for some reason. Anyway, I did the mistake to double click on the right drive instead of placing it top of boot order, Windows loaded but I knew I would have to go through the same procedure next boot.

I shut down Windows, switch off psu, and think to myself, let's swap their connections on the board. Lazy way out, I thought the idiot. So did that, boot, same issue, bios boot, asks me to pick the right OS drive. I do THE SAME FREAKING MISTAKE, I double click on the OS drive, system reboots starts loading Windows (8.1), blue screen of death.
    ok...restart system, go to BIOS, I change the boot order properly this time, save and exit, Windows starts loading, freezes.
    Then I think to myself, is it possible there is something wrong with that sata connection that for some reason has a problem when the OS drive is there? That's insane. Still, I swap the OS drive to its original connection and plug in the E drive to another empty SATA connection, this time away from the one that "caused problems".
    Switch on the system, bios, etc, restart system and system freezes on the ASUS logo.
    Ok...apart from unplugging everything again, what can I do? I check the sata connections on the board. This board has 14 sata connections, there is plenty of choice, but, I do not want to use either of the two on the one side where the problem start appearing. That's fine, that leaves 12 sata connections for my 3 sata SSDs and 1 OD. So I check the board and I see 5 sata cables connected. That's interesting I thought.
    Now, this motherboard also has an internal (case design) hot swappable docking station for 2 3.5 drives. However those while powered, I did not connect them yet to the motherboard. So...what's going on?

Well, after checking each cable (where it goes), I noticed that one extra cable didn't go anywhere. Now, this couldn't possibly cause any issues...right? Still, I remove it completely, plug in its place the E drive, boot the system, go to the bios, set the booting order, restart, everything seems to be working fine.
    All 4 drives detected, Windows loading properly.
    Checking the status of the drives, they are detected healthy.
    No auto reboot (let's not forget the original issue), no other issues that I can tell.
    Cold boot again, soft boot, no problems appearing. Now I have left it on and see how it goes.

7. Judas

I've had individuals SATA ports that would cause an all out crash/bsod... moving to a different port would resolve it. Eventually that system after the initial failing of certain ports, resulted in all the ports being unusable and now the only way to get that system to boot is to plug in a bootable PCI-EX sata adapter card.

8. Trusteft

Well, let's hope this is not one of those cases. I ordered a nvme drive to have it as boot/software/game drive.

9. Trusteft

Done. Of course only time will tell for certain.
    I am going to use it for these days and some time the following week when the NVMe arrives I am going to clone the OS drive to it.
    I'm tempted to also get new RAM. The thinking behind it is, even if something goes wrong and the PC dies, I will still be able to use the RAM in months or whenever I can buy another one.
    I will decide by tomorrow I think.
    ANYWAY, thank you all for your help and/or reading this thread. :)

10. Trusteft

IvanV likes this.
  11. Trusteft

12. Trusteft

New RAM is in and seems to be working fine. When I first booted I got the double boot which even though I was expecting, still felt like a punch in the stomach. I pressed the button, I went to the BIOS, I checked the frequency which was set to 2133 and I changed it to 2666. Interesting enough it gave me options up to 4000+ which I didn't expect as the motherboard (website) mentions up to 3200.
    Anyway, the system seems to be working. There was a read speed increase (RAM) of about 10% compared to the previous one.
    Anyway, stability is what I am looking for and so far so good. (yes too early to tell).
    In a day or two I should have the NVMe to finish with this build, finally.

Tipstaff likes this.
  13. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

Do you do a lot of video editing? Virtual Machines? Still wondering why you would need 64GB of RAM.

QB

14. Trusteft

I am a video editor.
    I don't need that much RAM for it though.
    Technically I don't need that much RAM for anything right now. I just like to have many open programs at the same time. If I had spare money, I would load this with 128GB. :p

Calliers and IvanV like this.
  15. Trusteft

I run some benchmarks. First with 24GB of RAM and with the system outside the case. Then with 64GB of RAM and the system closed inside the PC case.
    I will run one more when the NVMe arrives, just for the fun of it.

Overall the results were better inside the case with the extra RAM.
    What I found more interesting was the huge jump in min FPS in the two gaming benchmarks.

Anyway, first the older ones:

gkb4 cpu single 4076 multicore 24031
    gkb4 opencl gtx 970 106287
    cinebench r20 2986cb

heaven (high settings)
    fps 103.1
    score 2597
    min 9.1
    max 228.5

valley: (high settings)
    fps 103.1
    score 4316
    min fps 18.6
    max fps 182
    -----------------------------------------------
    and then the latest ones:

gkb4 cpu single 4053 multicore 25685
    gkb4 opencl gtx 970 107209
    Cinebench R20 3242

heaven high settings
    fps 105.1
    score 2648
    min 27.4
    max 221.9

valley high settings
    fps 106.1
    score 4437
    min fps 30.6
    max fps 194
    ----------------------------------

For a 5 year old system, stock speeds, not bad.
    Oh, the temps are very very good too. CPU maxed (during the CPU benchmarks) temp at about 61C running at 3.5Ghz (boost speed), GPU maxed at about 72C. Just plain old air cooling. I think they are good. Not noisy either.

IvanV likes this.
  16. Calliers

Calliers Side hustle: Mayor of Kenja Staff Member

I know from past exchanges with you, you are a man of many tabs. Many many many tabs. Yes indeed. A plethora of tabs in fact.

Trusteft likes this.
  17. Trusteft

Last part of the puzzle is here.
    [​IMG]

18. Trusteft

Well this is annoying. Is this a software issue or the drive is as good as dead?
    [​IMG]

19. Judas

Well that's certainly unclear as to how, considering a reading value that pegs the 16bit sensor limit..... drive health showing warning.... and it doesn't even seem to know bytes written... I'm going to lean towards it being shit software, though generally i recommend people don't install that shit software in the first place.

I'd try and find an alternative tool to verify and check it's performance, hell i think even hardware info would likely remote more accurate information, if however it doesn't, it may be a bad ssd, and when i've seen ssds or even standard hdds report bizarre information, i immediately load it onto another machine to verify if it's something with the ssd/hdd, and if it spits out the same info, i return it either for a direct replacement or alternative product.

Personally i exclusively use/sell samsung drives, but i'd dealt with others that customer bring in. Between kingston and corsair ssds, i've never touched adata ssds however, but the 2 other brands have been rather poor experiences with some completely dead shortly after they were gotten. I'm still 100% success with samsung though.

20. Trusteft

The Samsung drives was like twice the price.

I want to say it is a software issue, but I have no other such software to test it with.
    I tried HD Tune Pro 5.75 (trial) which under the Health tab shows nothing and temp shows " - " Firmware and supported features appear as list items.
    ASUS PC Diagnostics (came with the motherboard) detects the drive by its name, sees the firmware revision, but doesn't have the extra info I can see for my other SSDs (SATA).
    CPUID HWMonitor sees the drive as NVMe Drive 3 and just shows utilization percentage.
    I even tried checking with the Windows (8.1) error checking tool (right click, properties, tools) and it says the drive has no problems.

If you have any other suggestions, I am open.
    I tried to contact Adata support with their form, but my god I can't make it take the info I give them. Keeps getting the most stupid unhelpful message.
    I see no emails so I sent them a tweet.