Automatic volume level question

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by Libdawg, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Libdawg

Libdawg New Member

Ok all, got an interesting question for everyone. If it has been asked before point me in the right direction. I am looking for a way to control the output or the master volume automatically with input from a microphone that is plugged into the system. I am using a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live with EMU10K1 chipset. I want to be able to keep all the output of the computer to stay at the same level no mater what else is going on in the surroundings. I want it to automatically change levels as the room gets noisier. It would be perfect for parties. I am using KX Version: 5.10.00.3537.

Thanks for the help,
    Liberty

2. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

hmmm - interesting - sort of like 'speed compensation' in many car stereos now-a-days.

But i wonder if the 10KX DSP would have enough resources to hold 'smart' enough algo to be effective. ??

I mean - the music getting louder will add to the 'noise' picked up - and the only way to do this would be through some 'intelligent' filtering. - lets see what the real experts say on this subject.

3. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

might be possible sidechaining a dynamics processor to the mic input… but that usually does the opposite of what you ask

EDIT: didn't see maddog's response

it doesn't really need to be "intelligent"

if you sidechain a compressor to an input, that input triggers the compressor, reducing the level of the signal the compressor is applied to, relative to the input (used alot in dance tracks with the kick as the trigger

if there was a plugin that could do the opposite… and i don't think the expander is the right tool to use either

4. Libdawg

Libdawg New Member

The 'speed compensation' sort of thing was exactly that I was thinking about. I am very new to all of this but this program seems like it has alot of flexability.

Liberty

5. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

A simple 'input level' to an inverse output could be inserted between the mic and side chain input.

Like: output = 1 - input

is that what your speaking of DJ??

edit: I have doubts a system like this would be as effective... but without trying - we'll never know for sure I suppose.

I was thinking an FFT filter to seperate the music from the crowd noise would be need for effectiveness.

6. xzero1

xzero1 New Member

The average value of the music before any mixing compensated at the played volume can be compared to the average value of the music played with the room noise (sampled by the mic) and used to control the music volume. Better yet, control the volume as above using a function of the [pure] volume level instead of the level itself. This will allow tweaking as desired.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
  7. jiiteepee

jiiteepee Active Member